You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Granny Came Back

Real Ghost Stories

Granny Came Back

 

My mother told me about this when I was a teenager over 20 years ago. This took place way back in the 30's. I don't know what was wrong, but my mother had been very sick and was in bed. One night everyone was in bed and asleep except her. She was just lying in bed and she heard the dogs outside start barking. She noticed that they were barking on the side that faced a cemetery near their house.

The next thing she knew her Great-Grandmother who had died months before came walking through the wall! She noticed that her Great-Grandmother had on the same kind of clothes that she would normally wear around the house. It was dark in the room and my mother couldn't see into her face. She said it was like her Great-Grandmother didn't want her to see into her face. She kneeled down beside my mothers bed as if she were praying. She stayed there for a few minutes praying and then she got up turned around and walked back out through the wall, the dogs started barking again toward the cemetery.

My mother said her Great-Grandmother never said a word to her or looked at her. My mother was too shocked to even be afraid. And the next day she felt well enough to get out of bed.

This is a true story. My mother and Grandparents always told my brothers and myself about ghost encounters they said truly happened to them.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bat, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
It's nice to see a legacy of paranmoral credence quilted into a family. Hopefully, you can pass down this belief in things not readily believable to your children, as well.
bat (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-13)
Thanks white buffalo and FRAWIN for liking my story and for your helpful comments. You have no idea how much I love reading about real experiences people have with the paranormal. I don't think anyone in my family can appreciate or understand my fascination with it.
bat (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-13)
Hi mustang!
Yes you are right. My mothers Great-grandmother is buried in that cemetary. Sorry I forgot to mention that. Thanks for reading it!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-13)
Hello bat. You kept talking about the dogs barking towards the cemetary next to your Mother's house. I am only assuming your Mother's Great-Grandmother, was buried at that cemetary next to the house. Was she? I ask because you said she walked through the wall from the same direction as the cemetary. I think that your Mother seeing and feeling her Great-Grandmother is what gave her the boost to get well. Sometimes their are parts of entities/spirits that cannot project themselves in a whole. This could be why her face was not able to be seen. OR, on the other hand, illnesses and also medications can cause hallucinations. When I was really sick one time, I was on antibiotics but they were very strong antibiotics and I was seeing visions and hearing things that were out of the norm. I still don't know if the visions I had, the things I saw or the things I heard were real or not but I know that after I got better "ALL OF IT" went away. Okay well, not all of it, but that's the norm for me since I am sensitive to paranormal things around me and I'm sure since my son and daughter are the same way it doesn't help! It kind of stirs up things more in my house. I don't mind it because it is not anything bad and 'they' aren't loud. 😊Thanks for sharing your Mother's story with us.

SHELBY

❀ 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-13)
Hi Bat,
Our minds and our bodies are closely connected. If in our mind something quite profound happens, we can actually feel these things in our bodies.
It is like the description of the word faith. People who believe in the act of healing have a strong faith that they will be healed.
When we are sick, our minds, in a sense work overtime. It tries to make sense of the things that do not appear to be "normal", and to discount the things that are just out and out... Out there.
The reason I think that perhaps this was an illness induced vision is that your mother was ill and bed fast, and she had just recently lost her Great-Grandmother.
I would think that if her Great Grandmother had genuinely visited with her, to pray at her bedside FOR her, then she would have had no qualms about allowing your mother to see her face, or to at least smile at her, touch her arm or in any other way acknowledge her existence.
But I DO think that perhaps this "vision" is what your mother needed to get well so quickly, as she was up and out of bed the nest morning.
Thank you.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-13)
Hello Bat. Another explanation would be that she was having an hallucination brought on by her illness. When my brother had scarlet fever he saw an Indian Chief standing guard at the foot of his bed.I'm not saying she was seeing things but it could be an alternate explanation. Thank you for sharing your story, I enjoyed it very much. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
bat (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-12)
Thanks ChrisB and rhodes68 for liking my story. This was my first time writing on this website but I read the ghoststories all the time. Hope to talk to you again soon!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-12)
Hi Bat. Very good story. That was something special when somone dies and comes to visit you and prays. Just like Phodes said. Its a very special thing. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-12)
Well, obviously bat your mum was quite lucky to have someone so close to her praying for her sake.

Nice story, thanks for sharing it with us. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: