You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Supernatural Babysitting Service and the Monster in my Room

Real Ghost Stories

Supernatural Babysitting Service and the Monster in my Room

 

Up until I was about five or six, I lived in a house in Birmingham that wasn't in a very nice area. When we moved out, it was demolished to make way for a small industrial park. All pretty normal there. But that house was the centre of a lot of ghostly goings on based around me and my mother, most often involving my deceased grandmother who had been dead for around fifteen years by the time I was born.

My mother often says of how I would disappear into my room for hours at a time, before coming back and saying I'd been playing with a lady. She expected it was an imaginary friend of some sort, and thought little of it - what else was she meant to think? But one day, my parents took my to my maternal grandfather's house for a visit, and I noticed a photograph I'd never seen before. According to my mom, I pointed at the woman in the photo, my grandmother, and said something along the lines of: "Mom! Look, that's the lady I play with!"

This terrified her, not because she doesn't like the idea of ghosts but because she didn't want Granddad to know that I was claiming to be playing with his dead wife, especially since before that time I had never seen a picture of her - this was before I turned three and got the patience to sit through family photo albums. She had been aware of her mother in the house, particularly in the kitchen (for some reason, around us all ghosts retreat to the kitchen!) when she was cooking, and so immediately thought that it had been her looking after me when she was too tired to deal with a child. A supernatural babysitting service, if you will.

There was another occurrence in my bedroom there when I was about four or five that terrifies me to this day if I think about it too hard. I couldn't sleep for some reason, and was lying in bed bored out of my mind when I thought of reading a book by the light from my nightlight. I was sitting on the floor, quietly reading in an attempt to send myself to sleep, when I heard really heavy footsteps coming up the stairs and onto the landing, heading for my door. Thinking that I'd get in real trouble if I was caught (and anyway it was getting a bit cold by this point), I naturally dove into bed and acted as though I was asleep.

The footsteps stopped when they entered my room, and I cracked an eye slightly open to see if they were convinced (I know, I know, forgive my kid's reasoning!) and had the biggest scare of my life. There was a man there, his face in shadow because his back was to the light, and he was terrifying. He had wild hair in some sort of twisted halo about his face, I think it was red, and a long shirt on that was untucked from his trousers. He was like a silhouette in three dimensions; the only colour I could see was around the edges where the light was hitting him. To this day, just picturing him in my head makes my mind shudder away and it takes ages for me to calm myself down.

I used the most powerful guard any child has - the duvet. Yanking it over my head, curling up to make myself as small as possible, I made my breathing as quiet as I could and lay there listening to my heart beat as I prayed to God or whatever was listening to not let the monster get me. Every time I closed my eyes, it was as if an imprint of the man had burned itself into my eyelids so I kept my eyes open until they were watering just so I didn't have to blink and see him again. He registered as a monster to me, and I was so utterly scared even when I thought I should yell for help I just couldn't let any sound escape my lips.

Eventually I fell asleep (or passed out in terror, take your pick) and woke up the next morning to a nice, monster free room. I thought I might have made a mistake, that it was one of my parents coming in to check up on me after hearing noises, and so to stop myself working into a frenzy the next night I asked them if they came in. The answer was no, both had slept like logs all night.

That experience meant I couldn't sleep without the duvet over my head until I was fifteen years old, and even now I imagine a thick strong shield around me every night before I sleep, no matter how tired I am. I have three wind chimes and three dreamcatchers in a little triangle around my bed, too. Even if it doesn't do any good up against ghosts and monsters, at the very least it let's me sleep peacefully.

I'm still not sure if I'm sad that a piece of my history was lost when the house was knocked down, or glad that no-one else encountered that monster. I'm not even sure if I ever will be.

Other hauntings by Setion

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Setion, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

annabananas (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-19)
I don't know how I would react if that happened to me. Something kind of like that happened to my sister. She was getting out of the shower and she felt like someone was behind her. She automatically thought it was me, trying to scare her, so she looked behind her and saw a little girl, which wasn't me. She screamed and ran into the living room, and told everyone what had happened. I have been scared to be in her room alone, but I have been in there alone.
Jessica_ (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-11)
This would scare me to death. [the man of course, not that your grandmother came to play with you.] I am 13 and to this day I can not watch scary movies just for the fact that I can not convince myself they are fake.

I know at the age of 5 I would be more scared than I am today of them, and in present they scare me worse than anything. I would have began to cry with no other sense of what to do. That's just, dkajsfkdjasf.
😕

On the other hand, with your grandmother. That's very sweet. I [unfortunately] know my grandmother, and am convinced when she dies that she would not even think to stick around except for her dogs that she loves more than her grandchildren.

Though, my mom's grandmother [my great grandmother] was truly an amazing person and I know this even though I've never met her. She died in Pennsylvania [shortly after that we moved to South Carolina] and my relatives still say [who live in that house] she walks around asking where her Grandchildren went seeing that now she would have had 4.

I don't know if that it's their imagination when seeing my Great Grandmother or if it's true, but either way it still amazes me just as this story does. 😊
Setion (6 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
I guess it is a little strange that I can recount the event so clearly considering my young age, but most of my memories are like that. I have very few from the age of ten backwards, but all those I do have are very clear.

I was four or five for certain, because I remember the house. I remember being out of bed, and that I normally around that age I read if I couldn't sleep. I remember the silhouette of the man, and the terror. I remember that I woke up, and so had to have fallen asleep. Most of the other details are filled in by a handy little account I made of it the day after and locked away in my "treasure box".
Not_scared_anymore (1 stories) (31 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-02)
weird how you could remember everything in such detail when you were just 5... 🤔
Setion (6 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
I remember feelings more than images or proper memories, it's a lot more like a memory of a blanket's warmth than the blanket itself. It was a one-time thing with the monster.

Whitebuffalo, it might have been a "daddy-type", but if it was then he was not a nice daddy at all - though I can understand if he was annoyed at being woken up!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-17)
Hello Setion. I really enjoyed reading your story. That is sweet that your Grandmother came to look after you. DO you remember if you played with your Grandmother or not? Or is it something that has been told to you over the years.

The 'being' that came into your room that night sounds VERY frightening especially for a child! I am assuming this encounter with 'him' was a one time thing?

Thanks for sharing your story with us!

SHELBY
❤ 😊
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-14)
We all know kids can have over active imaginations but this didn't sound like a dream or a waking dream. Something like this stays with one a lifetime. Do you actually remember playing with your grandmother or it's just something that's been told to you over the years? I take it you do remember the three dimensional silhouette of the man without a problem. When you see something like that it stays with you. I had an encounter with shadow people at age 17 and though it was almost 40 yrs. Ago I have never forgotten one detail of it. Also had it happen as a child but I have always chalked that up to imagination. When it happens as an adult it's a different ballgame. Great story and well written. Thanks for sharing.
MissCookie (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-13)
Wow! That monster thing was creepy! While I was reading the story I actually thought it sounded like a real person more than a monster or ghost. Ack! I'm just glad you were alright.

Also, how nice that your grandmother was looking after you. 😁
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-13)
How interesting, Setion.
It is too bad that the home was knocked down. What an amazing encounter. I wonder who the "monster" at the door truly was?
I read a book by the nightlight when I can not sleep also! So I imagined everything I was reading quite vividly. By the sounds of the messed up hair, and the disheveled appearance of this man at your door, I would almost assume it was a "daddy type" apparition that was checking to be sure that his charges were asleep, and not up reading also. The description is of someone who could have been awakened out of a sleep to investigate other rooms.
Just a thought there.
Thank you.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-13)
Wow setion! What a great story! I loved the way you wrote it! Its funny, scary and well written. I liked the part with the babysitter 😁. I want to read your other stories because I haven't read them yet but I'm surte they will be great just like this one is. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-12)
I have to agree, too, Setion, that you have a great way of writing. I love the part about the duvet being every kid's protection. Thanks for a great story!

Jennifer ❤
Setion (6 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-12)
I'm glad you enjoy my style of writing and thanks for flattering my ego - thank you for changing the title, by the way, I just couldn't come up with anything better than "The Old House" myself 😊 - and yes, the experience was terrifying.

I wonder if it's relevant to say that the industrial park failed after a year and a half, and is now abandoned despite being close to a motorway junction and formerly well cared for?
bat (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-12)
That was a really scary story Setion.
It reminds me of some of the experiences I had as a child.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-12)
Setion,
What a very enjpyable read! It is not enjoyable that you were so frightened, but I enjoy the way you write!

Thank you for sharing your story with us.

God Bless!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-12)
I totally agree with the dear webmaster, you have one very funny but quite effective way to express yourself at times. I just love it as I loved your story. The description of yourself trying not to blink under your duvet really got my attention as nobody who hasn't experienced absolute terror would have been able to describe that with such accuracy.

Thanks for a great story but don't keep us waiting for too long before you post your next one.

Tam 😊 ❤
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
16 years ago (2008-03-12)
I love how you write Setion, you've got cute expressions, I had to use them in your title instead of the rather boring "the old house". Monster free room? Do they charge extra for that? 😆

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: