You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: Haunted or Paranoid?

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted or Paranoid?

 

I'm new to this so I will try to explain my story from the beginning as best as I can. I'm 27, I have had some very terrifying things happen during my short time here (being alive) and I think I may be haunted or maybe I'm just paranoid.

For as long as I can remember, I have seen things, images, in the shape of people, but I don't think I've ever seen them directly. It's kind of like I see things out of the corner of my eye. I'll see someone or something pass in the hall way, or if I'm standing in front of a mirror I'll see an image rush by behind me. I also hear a lot of weird noises. (people laughing or talking, when no ones around, foot steps when I'm home by myself or when I know for a fact that my husband and son are asleep).

My family has always been somewhat strange, I grew up watching my mother, and her sisters (my aunts) doing things such as having seances, and going for hikes and walks looking for missing people from our area. Specially if there was a young girl missing which looking back seemed to have happened quite a bit.

Well I remember walking with them looking for "clues", like clothes in wooded areas where they had a feeling we'd find things that would relate to someone who was abducted. I remember going deep into some woods close to a school house that had been shut down and we found something like an occult set up. There was a large circle made of branches, and sticks and inside it were bones of animals which appeared to look like maybe sheep or cattle skulls, neither of which are common in our town. We would also occasionally find things like torn clothes, or an abandoned shoe, jewelry (nothing worth much of any thing), just interesting things that leave you're mind wondering what was going on here?

I've always been taught to trust my feelings, my instincts, and I have always felt that I could pick up on things. My mom and aunts would have seances, and have another person usually me or one of my older cousins taking pictures while they prayed, and meditated. We would use Polaroid photos, then when they were finished we would all look threw the pictures to see if there was any activity, and there usually was.

We would see words, and faces of people in the hair of the people in the pictures, and there would be images in things in the background, such as curtains, windows, even images of awkward things on the walls. After words we would see if the images that appeared in the pictures were actually there or if we had just gotten lucky with the photos.

We did these sort of things for years, with none of the images, letters or words adding up to much, except strange feelings like "I wonder what that means,"and "this face is so clear I don't know who this person is but I wonder if he had any thing to do with any of the disappearances".

Anyhow over the past almost 10 years, I found God in my life, and started to believe that the things my family were doing were not right by him, I do not look at my family as being bad people, (although some would say they were playing with the devil using the Ouija boards, and being into things like tarot cards and readings, and other things of that nature). I simply love them for who they are, but chose to follow a different road.

But to this day I see things in pictures, in clouds, in trees. The things I have seen are scary! I see things like deformed faces, creatures or devilish faces, I see letters, and words in any picture I look at.

I love the feelings I get when I watch scary movies, and go to haunted house and read or hear "ghost stories". But I also FEEL the presence of perhaps spirits around me. Laughing or talking or walking around me.

My TV will shut off and turn on, as will our stereo in the living room I will hear a key going into my front door, and the sound of the knob turning, No one is there! Physically. And we have 2 cats at home and some times they just go crazy running threw the house like they're being chased and some times they will just stop what ever they're doing and look up at nothing like there is some thing there that we can not see. I like to be scared when I'm with other people the feeling is a definite rush, but when I'm alone its not so good.

I'm just trying to decipher if I may be being haunted or if perhaps I'm just paranoid (and if I'm looking and listening too much for these phenomenon)?

Other hauntings by Ambi

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ambi, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Briefly, you are in good hands here, Ambi. While I do not think seeing "demonic" things (or any things, for that matter) in trees and clouds is any indication of paranormal activity, seeing doorknobs turn by themselves certainly could be. It is natural to project patterns into chaos. You see what you want to see when a cloud passes overhead. Be careful not to TRY to tune-in the supernatural. More often than not, when you're out to see something, you can convince yourself that you have. None of your childhood experiences with your sisters or whatnot point to anything paranormal to me.

Reading into animals' behavior is a good example of trying too hard. Dogs and cats do lots of things that seem unnatural to us--doesn't mean they're watching spirits you can't see. It's also natural to feel a little apprehensive when alone.

So my only advice would be to relax and just accept that there are indeed things here that we cannot understand, but don't go looking for, or worrying about, them. Otherwise, you'll freak out everytime your house settles or your phone goes dead or appliances fritz (all of which are totally normal).

Now, about that phantom key in the lock...
Ambi (5 stories) (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-19)
Hey guys thanks for all the feed back. Its greatly appreciated. I have a lot of other occurrences that I would like to submit, but I don't have much time for it now. When I did try to make the time no stories were being accepted. So When I'm off of work on Friday, I will try to submit another. Also the pictures, I have some that I'd like to post to see if any one could comment on them, but I'm not sure how to upload them to this site. If anyone could share that info with me I will gladly share the photos. Thanks again!
❤ Ambi ❤
BCEagles25 (38 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
It sounds like your past is coming back to haunt you. Your seances (even watching them) can open up a door, and spirits will stalk you.

I think the haunting you have is mild and little to worry about.
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Personally I think it could be a combination of the two. It might be that you are haunted or extra sensitive to such things. But at the same time I think you're trying to read a bit too far into odd occurances.

Seeing faces in photos is not at all dissimilar to looking for shapes in the clouds. The more you practice, the easier it is.

Your description of your cats particularly interests me. I also have a cat and just like yours, she occassionally goes crazy: running around the house like there's no tomorrow. However, I've never thought it to be anything other than the fact that she is a particularly stupid cat.
Astral184 (1 stories) (53 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
oh, so that's what they call it, I have been seeing faces in everything from carpets, carvings in wood, even potatoe chip bags!

Well,Ambie, I am not a 'preachy' person, but my religous background does teach us that seances and "ouija' boards can open up'portals' to other dimensions; that coupled with your "natural" gift maybe the reason for your encunters. I am glad you have God in your life, can't go "wrong" with that! Regards.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Hello Ambi. I am also one of those people that are not against Tarot cards, seances and things similar but I just don't really want to participate in it because I am afraid of opening up 'Pandora's Box'! I think that what your family did was a good thing. It's hard when it comes to the church and ghosts. A lot of religions will scoff at the thought of a ghost or anything of that nature. I do not think that you are haunted, nor do I think that you are paranoid. I believe that you are sensitive to paranormal activity. I see faces in ALL kinds of things ALL of the time. FRAWIN is correct in saying that we see faces in clouds, trees, hair, etc. I even see faces in my cabinets and my tile. It is called Paeidolia. There may be times that the faces are really paranormal in some cases but overall they are not really faces at all. I think that you look for them too much maybe but that's all. I do too when I am in the bathtub or something like that just staring at the tile. I don't really know what to tell you exactly about the numbers though. Thanks for sharing your story. 😊

SHELBY ❤
Emma2008 (4 stories) (110 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-17)
I believe you may be a mixture of both sensitive and paranoid. Nothing wrong with being paranoid, given your family upbringing. People are different, we'll all see something different in the same ink spot. Start training your mind to look at more positive things in your ink spot.
Ambi (5 stories) (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-16)
In response to Kimsoutho:
I see and hear things in different locations although they are not always to the same tune. I pick things up differently depending on the feelings I get.
And No my family and I have never actually come accross a body, but they have in some cases (even in other states) givin the police information on what to look for that would assist them in finding a body, and they have even givin them info that has assisted in the capture of suspects which have led to charges being filed and arrests being made in connection of an abduction in a couple of cases. But there have also been many of cases where they were unable to "pick up" any information. Its always sort of a hit and miss kind of thing.
❤Ambi ❤
mrsfrawin (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-16)
hello ambie,
no, you are not paranoid. As for the ouija board, if you don't know what you are doing yes, it can open doors, however, I get the feeling that your mom and aunts were well practiced in forming their circle and setting wards. As for the rest the more you practice the easier it gets.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-15)
Hello Ambi,
Please do not take offense by this, but I do not think you are doing wrong in the eyes of the Lord simply by speaking to His creation. I see both sides of what you are saying, believe me. My brother is a Priest and my sister a missionary and my parents are pillars in the church.
I read through your comment and see that you feel, that to do such things as you had in the past with your family may put you in contact with some things that can undermine your new found faith. If you THINK you are doing wrong, it may make you feel paranoid.
I personally think you are sensitive to the paranormal, just by the description in your story. I think you may be questioning it, just because it is human nature to rationalize things. And here you are now, trying to rationalize through all the things of your childhood, and the way your family and you did things, in the face of the different road that you chose to follow.
I do not think you are haunted. I do not think you are "touched", I think you are in tune, and in THAT, God don't make junk. (Direct quote from my son, there) and he is the God of Second Chances. If you feel what you are doing, seeing and sensing is wrong, take it to God. Ask him to relieve you of this gift that He bestowed upon you. He will NEVER give us ANYTHING that we can not handle. But if we ARE uncomfortable, we CAN take those feelings to Him and await His Perfect Plan.
Thank you.
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-15)
Ambie,your gifted! My country people say some gifted people(im going to say something that can hurt you,sorry) can use their powers for a time limit. The meaning for this is that some gifted people die at ages from 20-30 years old. If your lucky, you can live up to 80 years old.

Good luck living and avoid disasters(if you can see those future sigths like me).
Ambi (5 stories) (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-15)
Hi every one. Thanks for all of your comments. I appreciate them. I would however like to set something straight as far as my religon goes. I am proud that I have found GOD in my life, and I don't want any one to think that because of this I do not believe in the abnormal things that go on around me. I just have a different view on things such as ouija boards, and things like tarot readings and things of that nature. I feel by doing those things (personally) that I'm am asking for bad things to happen. I'm totally not against it in any way, nor am I against anyone who enjoys these things. Where as I used to love being involved in that stuff. I know that some people view these sort of things as "devilish" and I'm sorry that they feel that way. As for me, I just think it would bring more unusual activity then I'm ready to deal with. ❤
elner (38 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-14)
me too but I don't have cats but the tv just turn off when I turn it on and I see ghostly images like you we have the same thing it feels good to know someone is feeling what I feel
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-14)
Hi ambie. Don't worry, you're not haunted or paranoid. Since you've had experiences as long as you can remember, I think it's safe to say you were born with the ability to sense and see spirits. I don't think the scary things you see have anything to do with your family's activities, they were innocent, no devil worship or black masses. I don't know why you see the scary things you do. Do you think it's possible that you are interpreting things that way because you are worried that your past with your family's seances and such goes against your current beliefs regarding your new found religious beliefs? The spirits you have around you that turn your t.v. Off and on and play with your cats, know they have your attention. I think they like that because not everyone can see or sense them like you can. If you are really disturbed by them, just tell them to leave your home and leave you alone. Be firm and tell them they are not wanted. Place crosses and pray throughout your home, whatever is within your belief system. There are directions for a smudging ceremony on this site, you might want to try that.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-14)
Hello Ambie. I feel that you are both sensitive and paranoid. You seem to be sensitive to the things going on around you but also paranoid in seeing natural things and attributing paranormal causes to them. What I mean is there is nothing supernatural about seeing faces in hair, clouds or trees-this is a natural phenomenon called pareidolia. You have scared yourself thinking your abilities goes against your belief system and now you think that having them is a sin. You have God in your life, you have the abilities that God gave you-if God don't want you to have them then they will be taken away. Talk to him and see what he says. My prayers are with you.

FRAWIN 😊 ❤
Residentofbox5 (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-14)
yes, sounds like you are just a sensitive. Spirits and ghosts are all around you. Some help you and some do not. What ever the case may be you have a gift. A rare one, and a cool one at that. All I can do is ward off bad spirits in a location and I'm able to tap into some of some people's emotions. I can't even speak nor see them. Your lucky and don't let anyone say different.

~OG❤
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-14)
Yes, I believe you are sensitive not paranoid. Apparently it runs in the family. I have always wondered why conservative religions put such a damper on people with psychic gifts. I don't think they like the competition but to me this is a gift of the spirit which comes from God.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-14)
Ambie,
First of all, a couple of questions... Do these occurances that you see hear and feel happen only in one location or has it been in many locations> When searching for the 'lost' people, did you and/or your family ever find anyone?

I do not think you are haunted so to speak, but I di think you are sensitive. Although I have very strong feelings regarding seances and ouijia board useage, it certainly does not mean that your family did anything but try to use the for the purpose of good or to try to understand the paranormal and different such occurances.

It is quite possible that during one of the seances different portals were open, leaving beings (for lack of a better word) to wander and manifest in differing fashion.

I would also think with the obvious curiosty of your family as well as there seening talent to detect the paranormal, it is possible that this brused off onto you.

Place a cross in each of your rooms especially the bedrooms. Pray, pray, pray. Pray for the lost souls to find peace and to cross over to be with the Lord in peace.

Thank you for sharing your story,
God Bless!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-14)
I agree with Rhodes. Your family hasnt done anythig evil. I to believe in God and at the same time I know there are ghost on this planet. And giving them a helpful hand is not a sin. I think that you are sensitive and you mighjt have the sixth sence just like your parents did. Lets just say its in the blood. You might think you are going crazy but maybe you just don't know what going on. Try practising on your gift. Then it will be easier for you to understand this. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-14)
Ambie hi. First off allow me to say that there's a difference between God and conventional or established religion and as a result, I very much doubt that offering a helping hand to find a lost soul or a lost person is considered a sin. I don't suggest that worshipping evil is justified if it provides the means with which you come to find a missing person, but then again, that IS NoT what your family is doing! As I gathered from what you're saying, your family must be sensitive which to me is a gift (one that can back-fire sometimes because it may expose them to dangerous forces) but, under no circumstances are they disrespectful to God.

The same way, I think you're sensitive and able to see what others don't see, not because they're not supposed to see but simply because they can't. Learn to use that power to help those in need if you can and be certain that you are loved by your creator regardless of what your belief system is. If there's any kind of assistance you can offer your fellow humans, give it away and learn to see it as a gift and a blessing. God is in your heart, he speaks to you through the nature that embraces you, through the world that surrounds you. He isn't a plain image in a textbook that exists only to set out the rules and condemn the sinners.

Tammy 😊 ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: