You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: From Happy Bride to Nervous Wreck

Real Ghost Stories

From Happy Bride to Nervous Wreck

 

Getting the keys for our new home was so exciting. The flat was in a beautiful Victorian house in Bayswater, London W2. With its high ceiling with cornice, sashed windows that was about 3 meters high and it still had the servants bell. I was planning what I was going to do as soon as I took the keys. Firstly... I was going to clean the flat, then I was going to prepare our first meal as man and wife.

With keys in hand, I kissed my husband goodbye as he had to work that night. The flat was only round the corner from his work, which was handy. I went into the flat. Looked around and saw what needed to be done. I set to work cleaning. The flat was too quiet, so I put on a record from my record collection. I was so happy to be in the flat even though I was cleaning.

Just the small bedroom to finish. I was singing away to the song that I knew so well..."Linda," I heard someone call me. "I'm in here," I shouted back thinking it was my husband... "Linda," I heard it again... "I'm in here," I said once more. "Linda," I heard for the third time. That's Ibrahim I thought to myself. He is messing about. I started to look for him laughing to myself. I went into the bedroom, checked in the wardrobes and under the bed... no-one there.

I went into the bathroom, looked behind the shower curtain... Still no-one there. I went into the lounge where the stereo was playing. I got the shock of my life... From the record that I knew so well it said my name again. I screamed and grabbed my coat. I ran around to my husband with my slippers on.

He thought I was crazy when I told him about what happened. That was the start of lots of unexplained strange goings on in that flat.

Another time, I was in the bedroom and I had the stereo on again which was playing in the lounge. All of a sudden, the music turned off. I thought that the power had gone off so I checked the light but that was working. So I went in to check the stereo. I noticed that the switch on the wall was up which meant it had been turned off. I was the only person in the flat at that time.

My sister-in-law was visiting with her husband. They were staying in the small bedroom at the front of the flat. She was in the bedroom and her husband was in the shower. She had the stereo on which was on the radio mode. All of a sudden, the radio switched to a german radio station and it was on the highest volume. She went in to turn it down and she found the turn table spinning around.

Another time, I was asleep in bed in the afternoon. I found my friend standing over me. I asked her, "How did you get in here?" She said, "You opened the door..." I said, "How could I have opened the door if you have just woken me up?" "When I rang the door-bell, you said, "Who is it?" and I said, "It's me, Jackie," she said. "And then the door opened," she added. I told her, "Maybe you've rang the wrong doorbell and they have let you in," I replied. She said, "I'll check with the neighbours if they've let anybody in..." She had asked them and they told her that nobody had rang their door-bell.

When I was 4 months pregnant, my husband was asleep next to me in the bed, and I was thinking about my new baby and finding it hard to sleep. Next thing I knew, the bed started to bang on the wall. 'bump' bump' 'bump'. It sounded like a heartbeat. I nudged my husband and to wake him up and told him that the bed was moving. He lay there and said, "Oh my God, I can feel it!" It wasn't scary, just unexplained.

Ever since we'd moved in, we'd had lights going on and off, footsteps in the passageway when nobody was there, etc.

A friend of my husband's arrived at one o'clock am to stay with us for a few days. We had all went to bed as soon as we arrived as we had work the next morning. Ibrahim asked me to bring his friend some lunch as he couldn't be with his friend as he was working. When I brought him the lunch, he said to me, "Linda, this place is haunted..." He left that day with no explanation as to what had happened to him.

Another friend of ours came around to stay the night. He had to sleep in the lounge on the sofa. He told me the next morning that he had to sleep with the light on all night as he heard somebody walking around the couch. When he had looked, as you can guess, nobody was there.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LindaElHawary, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

elnoraemily (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-15)
I giggled at the image of you running down the street in slippers. Your story is interesting. And sounds very genuine. You are a very good writer.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Wow, Linda! This is a great story. These seem like veritable encounters of the highest order to me. Please keep a record of all that transpires in your house. It would be good to try to discern patterns, if there are any.

Please keep us posted!
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-19)
Wow, scary stuff. Right now I'm wishing I wasn't reading this alone late at night.

Have you considered trying to 'de-ghost' your house?
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-19)
Hi Linda. That was a very good story. I believe that your flat is haunted. But It seems to me that there is no harmful ghost. I think the ghost who is in your house used to live there. Try finding information about the building. I'm not sure what your religion is but praying will help. I bet it just wants to cross over but doesn't know ho. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Wow! It certainly sounds as if you lived in a very active location! What a fscinating and frightening story!

Thank you for sharing it with us!
God Bless!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Hi Linda. Your comment helped explain a few things, now we know you are no longer living there. I'm curious as to whether your husbands friend ever told you what he experienced to make him say your house was haunted. I would think the spirit was someone who had lived in the flat or in another building on that property. He sure had a liking for electronics and electrical items. Maybe they were new to him, not invented when he was alive, and so he was fascinated with them. Have you had any other experiences with spirits or ghosts since you've been away from that flat? Thanks for sharing your story, it sounds like you had a very interesting year there!
LindaElHawary (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
rhodes68,
Hi there. Many thanks for your comment. Writing all what happened in my home has brought it all back to me. I lived in that flat in the 70's and reading all what happened... Well I can't believe that I lived there for just over a year. I am sure the spirit didn't like music or it was trying to communicate through the stereo. So many things was unexplainable, like the turntable spinning when it was in the radio mode and the volume going to the highest. I thought it might of had something to do with Germany as the radio channel switched to German.
I thank god there was no affect on my daughter who is now a 32 year old mother of 2.

Thank you all, for your comments.Linda.
killingkilgore (3 stories) (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Great story! It seemed to end a little abruptly though. I too am curious as to if you are still living in the home and experiencing these things. Thanks for sharing!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Hello Linda,
Your story is amazing. All of those entities just wandering about the place. How exciting and nerve wracking all at the same time.
I can not tell by your story, do you still live here? Are you still experiencing this types of things?
If you do, and you are, I would suggest burning some lavender incense as it rids the home of negative energy. Try that for a few days and see if there is a change.
If that does not happen to seem to stop all of the activity that is apparently unnerving for you and your guests, there is an article on this site (up at the top in the list of "other things" that the site offers) about the Native American Smudging Ceremony that may be helpful for you. Shane did a wonderful job in being very specific on what is needed and what to do.
I am curious about your child. In part of this story you were talking about when you were four months pregnant. Has your child been born? How old? Does your CHILD see anything in this home (If you are still there)?
Thank you.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Hi Linda and welcome. I really liked reading about your encounters although I doubt they have been much fun for you and your family.

Well, the image of a Victorian house is somewhat "inviting" or rather "promising" as it has "witnessed" whole generations coming and going, so it's only expected that it will entrap some sort of energy. Could be the spirit of a previous tenant? Quite probable although it would be best to let the more experienced posters comment on that.

As far as I'm concerned, all I want to say is thank you for a most interesting story which I hope won't be the last one.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: