You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Scary Cyclist

Real Ghost Stories

Scary Cyclist

 

We were driving from our home near Witham, Essex traveling to Ipswich where my daughter was training as a nurse. My wife was also with me in the car. It was getting near dusk but visibility was good. As we were traveling down a hill on a dual carriageway near the Essex/Suffolk border, there suddenly appeared a cyclist traveling towards us in the outside lane coming towards us going the wrong way. This cyclist was dressed in Edwardian clothes with a long dress and straw hat. She was riding a sit-up-and-beg type of ancient bicycle with a basket on the front.

This apparition was seen by my wife and my daughter. We were traveling at about 50 mph and had no time to take evasive action as the cyclist flashed past the offside of the car. There was no collision thankfully and we were all a bit shocked. The strange thing is that there were no slip roads anywhere near whereby the cyclist could have got onto the road and anyway why would anyone in their right mind want to cycle the wrong way down a fast road? We looked behind us expecting to see the cyclist disappearing up the road but there was nothing to be seen. It occurred to us that there might be a spirit haunting this particular place, perhaps the result of an accident which occurred when the road was just a single track before it was widened and dualled.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kenbrown, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AussieRedDog (25 stories) (82 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-18)
an old mate of mine had the same experience when he was working up in Northern QLD. He told me he saw a man dressed like an old swaggie standing at the bottom of his veranda one night. The old bugger then just vanished. I believe my mate for I know he doesn't lie.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-28)
Hello kenbrown. I also believe this to have been a residual haunting. Not sure if it could have been someone that was riding a bike and got killed by a car but it sounds very chilling to have experienced something like that. There is supposed to be a girl that is on the Skyway Bridge here in Florida that hitchhikes in someone's car until they reach the other side of the bridge and then she disappears. I have tried a couple times to catch a glimpse of her but to no avail. 😢 I have also heard of the ghostly Greyhound bus that is at the old Skyway bridge that collapsed in the 80's, all the people on the bus went into the water when a barge hit the bridge and they all died. They say that the Greyhound bus is seen driving where the part of the bridge used to be and an older lady is seen smiling out of the back window. Sounds odd that anyone would be smiling tumbling to their death or about being dead from crashing into the depths of the ocean. I don't know but I went on the 20th anniversary in the wee hours of the morning to catch a glimpse of it but didn't see that either. It was very disappointing but I wonder what I would have done if I did see it!? 😨 I consider you one of the lucky ones, that is as long as it didn't follow you home! I've seen my share of the paranormal kind but it was usually always dark and scary, nothing like your story. Thanks for sharing.

SHELBY ❤
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
I think its a residual haunting. I'm glad it wasn't a real person. Something bad might have happend. There are a lot of places like that in the UK. I can imagine how surprised you were when you turned around and there was nobody there. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Wow, I really liked that story!Spooky. Have you or your family researched it yet?
keekee404 (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
It sounds like one of those things that happen where it's emotions were recorded. Possibly driving down a road was one of the things that person did when they were experiencing something emotional (not just saying sad, but very happy, angry, etc) Or maybe they died in a car crash on that road. Hehe, you never know~
Emma2008 (4 stories) (110 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
It sounds like a residual haunting, but I don't necessarily believe that the person perished on that road. I've heard of many residual hauntings where ghosts are seen walking through spaces, such as they might have when they were alive, not necessarily the road they traveled just before dying. Perhaps she was just having a nice day and left an imprint of her happiness behind for someone to notice.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Ken,
I would agree with your theory, you experienced a residual haunting. An imprint on time that occured in that area that continually repeats itself.

Thank you for sharing your story with us!
God Bless!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Hi Ken,
I think that is exactly what you saw. A residual haunting of what had once taken place on this road. It would appear that roads are wonderful places to encounter residual. Sadly, so many people perish on roads that it is highly probable to "run into" one of them.
Thank you.
demonboy (8 stories) (38 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-18)
Sounds like a haunted road, lucky he or she didn't follow you, I don't really think you need help with it but if you do just ask.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: