You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Harmless Haunting Just Got Scary

Real Ghost Stories

Harmless Haunting Just Got Scary

 

My family consists of myself (I am 34), my husband, and our 3 sons. We have lived in our house for 12 years now. We knew almost right after we moved in that there were "other people" here. My husband sees things all the time and my 11 year old son has seen ghosts since he was very small.

Sometimes things are quiet here for several months at a time and then we will have activity for a few weeks. Not every night per say, sometimes 2 nights in a row, then nothing for a night or two. We get things that happen such as smoke filled rooms - We will walk into a room and it looks like someone took a bottle of baby powder and smashed it making a huge cloud of smoke. That is the only way I can describe it. But then it will disappear all at once within so many seconds.

We hear whispers very clearly. My husband and son both see a full bodied man walking around in here very regularly. We have found out that there was a man that died in our dining room (natural causes). We get a lot of shadow figures and sometimes even just shapes. I have no idea what the shapes mean (shapes, as in triangles, circles, squares). We seem to think that there is more than one ghost here. My husband has seen a woman, but only a few times and that has been about 2 years ago since he has seen her. There are the dark shadows as well. We don't think that the shadows are of the man that died here (his name is Bill, by the way) because when anyone sees Bill, they can see him very clear.

Sorry, I am not a good story teller and on top of that I am nervous about sharing with others.

What made me come to this forum is that my son was scared to death Saturday night (today is Monday). He was upstairs in his room and it was late. He was sitting at his computer desk playing a game on his cell phone. The speakers on the computer were turned off but there was noise that came across the speakers full blast. He said he jumped and went to turn off the speakers but they were already off. So he sat there for a second just looking around (paranoid). He said it then got very cold. He turned around and looked toward the steps and the lamp on his night stand came on. He felt a presence but could not see anything. The room then got very bright. He was petrified, and this kid does not scare easily. He is so used to seeing the ghost man (Bill) that is here that he doesn't even think twice about it. BUT - he felt a strong presence and he was truly scared. He said this one was different.

This is why I am looking to others for some advice. What should I do? Should I even do anything at all? Is there any way to make them go away?

I have emailed the pastor at my old church but I have not heard back from him. I am beginning to think that I won't.

Well, thanks for listening.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, taffi74, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

elawton1980 (13 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-09)
Hmm, your story is interesting. From what you are experiencing, it sounds like your house may have a portal in it. Portals are when many spirits, and even possibly demons, can enter into your house. The portal is like a tear in the veil between this world and the next. It can be opened on purpose (like through satanic ritual or using a Ouija board) or by accident. Tragedy (ies) in the home or on the property involving abuse or death (s) can possibly create a portal. The only thing that I know of that works for this type of problem is an exorcism of the house. I would only even think of that if the experiences become frightening, malicious or dangerous. Otherwise, simply tell the spirits it's their time to move on and go to the light.
indie_aspen (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
wow... It sounds peaceful until your son's story!
Sometimes rooms in my house are cloudy and smell of rotting meat, then when I yell "GET OUT," this smoke will disappear and the smell dissipates.
If the scariness continues, I would definitely move.
taffi74 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-10)
Contessa;
Well, we know his name and where he died in here because we have a neighbor that grew up in this house. I went in to some details of that conversation in one of my earlier posts. As for the shapes, well, we still haven't figured out what the heck that is from, but there are several people in the house that see them, and it can be at any given time just out of nowhere. So that is kind of weird. If it's in our heads, then we are all seeing crazy stuff! Lol. But because there are several that see the same things, leaves me to ponder what it means. Thanks for your input!
contessa (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-21)
Hello! I have a question. How did you know his name was Bill? Did someone tell you? How did you know he died in your dinning room? Did you research it? I was really scared about the story that happened to your son. But maybe the other stuff you said (shapes, shadows) are just your imagination? Sometimes when your scared you think about more scary things then what is just happening. I'm like that sometimes but when I look back at what happened to me I find out that its just my mind playing tricks on me.

❤ contessa
taffi74 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-30)
Things the past few weeks have mostly been quite. I keep saying that I am going to do the cleansing, but then I forget about doing it until something goes on. But as I said, mostly quiet. We haven't seen Bill for awhile. The only thing we have experienced are the usual events...noises, whispers, shadows, presences that we know are there but we can't pinpoint them by sight. Those are the usual little things, that we are used to, so to us that is quiet. But nothing out of sorts lately.
chelleck (3 stories) (56 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
I have read your story and the comments. I am no expert like some of the others may be, but I am interested in any results that becomes of your efforts.

Please keep us posted.

Thank you for sharing your story. Come back and visit us off and on or you are welcomed to stay.
taffi74 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-26)
I gotta tell you all that you have no idea how much your feedback helps me in dealing with how I feel about "Bill" and the other things in the house. You all have great advice no matter how small you may think it is. It just helps me in knowing that I now have someone to talk to because I never did before (except my family within this house and a few choice other family members).
It has still been mostly quiet lately. The most that has gone on is presences that we know are there and more than one of us at a time notice them, but no visuals lately. It's so creepy though. You just KNOW someone is there, but you can't "catch" it with your eyes. My husband was awakened several times last night because he heard and felt someone repeatedly coming into our room. However, when he got up to check it out (he thought it was our youngest son up), he was unable to see anything.
I have not done the cleansing yet. I will though when I get the time to go purchase the materials and when I am home long enough to do it. I also want to make it at a time when the kids aren't home and it's quiet and calm here.
Chrono (2 stories) (41 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-26)
I'm to lazy to read what everyone has said, so please bare with me if I repeat anything. But maybe you should wait and see if anything happens again, (anything that serious and scary) I don't know, it could be a evil spirit, or it could just be a sad one. Just some thoughts, I'm not very smart like these other guys, but yeah.
Good luck with that!
Take care,
Chrono ❤
BabyBoo (4 stories) (25 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-25)
Taffi74 I just wanted to comment about your attachment to Bill... I have a similar situation where I have an active haunting and I have and do try to encourage my ghostly friend to move on for his own sake but I would miss him terribly if he ever did. I hope I am not creating an anchor for my friend by my mixed feelings.

I have also had several episodes where I hear a voice come from a turned off speaker. I can never really make out what the voice is saying but it seems to have a Southern or country accent. On the other hand my attempts at recording the spirit on a tape recorder were not successful.

I have heard from someone who would classify themselves as a medium and their theory is that sometimes the energy/spirit/soul that we call a ghost can attract other types of entities. By our acknowledgment of the original spirit we help keep their energy strong and that it, in turn, can attract something else that is less desirable. This person also advocated asking the positive spirit for help. On the flip side it was suggested that by becoming in tune with a benign spirit such as Bill we also make ourselves more sensitive or aware of "the other realm..."

I think enlisting Bill's help in getting the others to leave as well as the other suggestions here would be good places to start.

Good luck!

Baby Boo❤
Lisamaxw (92 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-23)
I'm not necessarily convinced that ALL spirits are "trapped..." I believe that some CHOOSE to remain here. In Christian terms, think of it this way: Heaven is a place where God's perfect will is ALWAYS done. (Check out the Lord's Prayer.) Some beings (i.e., Lucifer) MAY NOT WANT to serve God in Heaven. Some may willfully choose to reject God and his plans, and therefore, don't want to be in Heaven. If -- and note that I say "if" -- this is the case, do you REALLY want these "ungodly" things hanging around your house and your kids? Chances are, they're not going to be a good influence, and they certainly aren't going to have your best interests at heart! My advice -- Get rid of these things! Don't humor them and allow them to hang around. If you want further instruction, check out a book by Mark Bubeck, "Overcoming the Adversary..." It has some really good advice. God bless,
Lisa ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-22)
Hello again, Taffi.
I DO think that Bill is an intelligent haunt, and not residual. Others may think differently, but in reading through the story and your comments, he does seem to interact.
Most of the time it would appear that he would have nothing to do with all of you. He even appears to not see you or recognize your existence.
But he was drawn to your sons bedside. He seemed to be curious as to who he was. If Bill was in my house, I will be completely honest, I would simply say "Bill?" one day as he strolls through the house. I just do not get the impression that he is a residual ghost.
If you use dirt, sea salt and pure water, even if you just sprinkle the sea salt and pure water about, that will get rid of NEGATIVE beings. Not the harmless, mild natured ones. I feel that Bill will be untouched.
If you do the smudging ceremony (please keep in mind that you MAY have to do this several times. Sometimes you DO get a stubborn entity that resists), I believe that ALL entities will gravitate towards the light.
If this were my situation, I would just try the lavender, salts and water, or the dirt, salt and water. My son (he is only four) has a spray bottle of the salt and water that he keeps in his room. He tells me that his "friends" are still there. I believe him.
Thank you.
Pixiemel (20 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-22)
thank you for sharing :)! I see you are very troubled, and I am here to help! I always see people tryna get rid of the ghosts... Yes salt, sage, smoke, the sounds of chimes may push the ghosts away, but fow how long? They are trapped! It may take years to come back but still! And everyone alwasy tries to make them leave, but no one ever actually tries to help them.think...why are ghosts here? What traps them?...asnwer? They haven't found the peace they needed. So all you have to do, is light a white candle for them, asking for their souls to find the peace they need, that they are forgiven if they have done something, and that they are free to go now. Tell them to go into the light. While looking at the candle, say a prayer for them,(doesnt have to be a spiritual one if you are not religious, I'm not, just say stuff like we all come and go, we are not eprfect yet we deserve forgiveness and end our lives with peace etc etc). Encourage them, telling them its ok now, its over, they should feel free and calm, and keep reminding them to look for the light and go into it. It may take more than once, they are often scared sad or confused and need to be calmed, freed and guided. Best of luck, let me know :).its easy really. All that's needed is for them not to be treated as enemies, which is the big mistake people do!
taffi74 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-21)
Thanks whitebuffalo. No, no one has ever really tried to communicate with Bill. He just walks through here doing whatever he does... He seems like he just strolls through the house.
Ah, the story of Bill... He has been present since we moved in here. I have even had friends and family that have seen him while they were visiting. We had never told them about him before hand, which is kind of funny. About 6 years ago we found out his first and last name from a neighbor of ours. Bill was his uncle and lived here, and our neighbor grew up in this house. He asked us one day if anything weird ever happens here because Bill did die here in the dining room of a massive heart attack. So, he did go suddenly. My husband didn't want to let the cat out of the bag completely, so he asked our neighbor some questions, and they got to talking. Our neighbor discribed Bill to a T, right down to his limp. So this is why we think it's Bill. We haven't tried to communicate with him because when he makes an appearence he seems like he is completely oblivious that there are living people here. He walks through very casual, or stands and stares at a wall, or stands in the corner, or sits on the steps upstairs in my son's room. The only time he seemed to be aware of us was that one time a few months ago when he was watching my youngest son sleep.
We by all means do not mind sharing our home with Bill. It is the other stuff that goes on that bothers us. We know that can not be Bill.
I am going to try to get some of the cleansing materials that others have mentioned. I would like to try the cleansing. The only thing that bugs me about that, and this is going to sound crazy, is that we are used to having Bill here. We have even become attached to him. If I cleanse the house, we may not have Bill here any more. But I guess on the other hand, if Bill did go, then he would be better off. I suppose I am being selfish to an extent.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-21)
Also, (sorry, I simply forgot to mention this) Shane has a wonderful article on here about the Native American Smudging ceremony. You may want to check that out. The beauty of that is that you do not need a priest or any other clergyman to perform it. All of the instructions are included.
Thanks again.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-21)
Unfortunately, taffi74, most clergy try to stay out of a haunting until the Bishop, or whatever higher up religious head gets involved. Also unfortunately, they seem to only get involved when the clergy men come to them and request it urgently.
I am not sure why that is, as their Boss is a Spirit, but then...
I would have to suggest that you try FRAWIN's advice. It works wonders, trust me. Also try burning a lavender incense in your son's room.
Can you communicate with Bill? If so, maybe you could solicit his help to rid the home of the negative beings. Just a thought. I do not know if you are nervous to talk to him or not.
Keep us posted. I would like to think the pastor of your former church would know you well enough to at least check out your claims. Good luck.
Thank you.
taffi74 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-21)
Thank you all for your comments and advice. I did hear back from that Pastor but he is basically telling me that I need to be in church. Long story short, I am just going to have to deal with what is going on by myself.
We haven't had anything happen since I posted my story. Guess we are going to have a quiet week!
Our family doesn't mind sharing our space with "others". Especially Bill. Because when he is here, he just kind of walks around and doesn't even know that we are here. There was once that he "discovered" my youngest son and was actually bent over watching him sleep. But the other things, they do bother us sometimes. I think that I am going to take some of the advice listed in the messages and use them. These are things that I can do to help them move on without having to go knock on church doors and ask a preist to come to my house and cleanse it.
I will keep checking in with you all! Thank you for all of your help!
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Hello taffi74. For what it worth to you what we do when we feel negativity at our house is use sea salt and water. If your belief system permits it what you do is make a solution of sea salt and pure water. Go around your home casting the water about with your fingertips while saying a prayer for banishment and protection. Make sure you get all corners, closets and cubbyholes. Also mark every window and doorway. We also get the mirrors too just to be on the safe side. We have found that this only affects the negative, while leaving the positive beings alone. I hope this works as well for you as it does for us. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Hi Taffi. I believe that there is a portal or something in your house. Like you say there are a couple of ghosts in your house. I feknow your uppset that the pastor hasnt given you a call but there are some things you can do your self. On this site there are instructions that can get rid of these spirits. A smudge ceremony is a good thing. I used the bible and prayed a lot and had crosses in my house. Telling the spirit firmly to leave can aswell help. Others will for sure help you on this site. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Taffi,
It certainly souinds as if your home is very active! I am wondering if some how your home has become some type of portal or crossing?

Well, since now your son has become frightened, it is probably time to take action. Place a cross in each of your rooms, especially the bed rooms. Pray, pray, pray. Pray out loud. Tell whomever is wandering around that they are frightening people and they must cross over in the name of the Lord. If you feel this is a negative energy, demand that they cross over.

Lavendar in the bedrooms is also very effective. Crystals also and smudge ceremonies. Take whatever action fits within your beleif system. If you feel it is needed and warranted, contact local clergy and ask them to bless your home.

Thank you for sharing your story and please keep us posted!
God Bless!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Hi Taffi and thanks for sharing a well told experience with us.

It seems that there's indeed some kind of presence in your household or rather, more than one. At first I didn't get the sense that it was anything threatening until you said there's something else (maybe a new presence) there. Maybe you sense that it's not as innocent as the other ones?

Well, whatever this may be, I'm sure it's not that comfortable sharing your space with an uninvited guest and it's only natural that you wish it away.

If you feel that you need to have it blessed and cleansed you should persist. There are a few very experienced members in here that can provide you with all the info you need but if you still feel you need to have a pastor over, then be more demanding. Go there and ask to see him in person. Maybe he needs a stronger proof of how urgent the matter is.

Hope you resolve your problem and peace is restored at home.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: