You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: The Joey Doll

Real Ghost Stories

The Joey Doll

 

I was 11 years old living in Santa Rosa, CA. We rented a small duplex in an old neighborhood. It was always cold and damp, and smelled like mold. My room was in the back of the duplex, it had large sliding glass doors that would go out into the weed infested back yard.

One night in the wintertime at about 2am, I awoke suddenly with my eyes wide open. I felt a presence in the room. My room was only lit by the moonlight. I felt some pressure on my chest, I tried to speak but couldn't, it was a choking, throbbing in my throat. My arms and legs went stiff as a board, I couldn't move them at all. Even my neck stiffed up. My muscles were all clenched up. I could only move my eyes around the room.

I looked up at my bookshelf case. It stands about 8 feet high. On the very top of the shelf I could see my doll sitting there starring down at me. The doll was a gift from my mother, his name was "Joey". It was called a Joey Doll. I was so very scared. I'm getting goose bumps even now writing this and I'm 32 years old now.

Eventually since nothing else happened, I fell asleep. But I'll never forget that night for the rest of my life... The doll was still up there in the morning. I took it down and threw it out.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mrmr, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghostlover13 (19 stories) (191 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-20)
Maybe it was sleep paralysis and you just saw the doll and connected the doll with it.

It is just a thought.
Only YOU know what really happened.

Take Care! 😁
BigBadRich (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
I KNOW your story is true... Because almost the SAME thing happened to me when I was 19.
Except WITHOUT a doll. I also do not believe in ghost but DO believe in Demons... And actually when you are ever bothered by evil spirits... No matter WHAT religion you are... Remember this... To call upon the name of Jehovah... And pray to Him (as the Bible refers to as God Almighty and whom Jesus refered to as "Father") and pray to him THROUGH Jesus Christ our Lord... That is what demons are REALLY afraid of... Our and Their Creator. Just remember that man... Natter what happens in life, remember that
mrmr (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-01)
Yes I think it was a mixture of sleep paralysis and a nightmare. I didn't put the doll up on the shelf, and it was still up there in the morning. But it was proberbly a nightmare. I don't even believe in ghosts anyway; but I do believe in demons and I believe some demons play tricks with people.
karaonline199326 (2 stories) (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-28)
wow this is so creepy but the same thing happened to me when I was about 7 I was sleeeping and all of a sudden I felt paralysed and like someone was covering my mouth when I looked I could have sworn I saw my doll in front of me but I hid under the covers and as I crawled into my parents' bed next to me I saw my doll climb back onto the vanity table. It could be just my imagination but hearing your story makes it seem more than just an overactive imagination
simywimy (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
I couldn't help but wonder, maube it was sleep paralysis, for I see no connection with the Joey doll and your incident. I'm a bit confused! 😕
philippinegirl (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
we have the same experience of having nightmare in a different way of course without the doll looking at you or seeing ghosts... Just a simple nightmare that I can never forget... It's like your wide awake but the people who will see you will say your sleeping... That's scary though... Well I'm catholic that's why I always call jesus when I'm afraid: ) if your catholic I just suggest if that happens to you again (hope not) just call jesus: )
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-26)
Yes, I would agree it was sleep paralysis. I know that mold can be dangerous to your health but I didn't know it could cause hallucinations. I myself have never liked dolls since I was a kid and my grandmother gave us these old fashioned dolls from the 30's in ski clothing. They were about 18inches tall and had those weird porceline faces. I use to have dreams about them coming out of the closet and walking up to the side of the bed. I was glad when mom got rid of them. Dolls in general are creepy to me and I wouldn't have them in my house. One the other hand I do have a full size creepy butler that I call Jeeves which I got at Halloween but it's such a conversational piece I keep it out all year long. He is very scary looking but I just love him and have never been freaked out by him. Maybe that is due to the fact that he's only real looking from the front if you turn him around its just hollow. That's why you have to make sure he's standing against a wall so you don't see that part. He stood in a store window for years and I was glad I got such a great buy for a mere 80 dollars.
killingkilgore (3 stories) (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-25)
I have to agree with the other comments. I fail to see the connection with you not being able to move and the doll. I too know how terrifying it is to feel like something is holding you down on to your bed, and like Frawin said, it seems like that was just the first thing your eyes focused on and you were looking for some sort of explination as to why you could not move. Was the doll placed on top of the bookshelf to begin with? Or was it suddenly in a different spot when you woke up? I'm a little confused about this. Thanks for sharing though.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
Hello mrmr,
Unfortunately I feel that you got rid of a perfectly safe Joey doll after a case of Sleep Paralysis.
Mold present in a home can cause hallucinations as well as illnesses. I do not think that it created your Sleep Paralysis, just a thought there on that.
Thank you.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
Hi mrmr. It would seem that you threw the doll away for no good reason. It just so happened that it was the first thing that your eyes settled on during your sleep paralysis episode. Your mind can play strange tricks on you during this tme. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
ParaTam (3 stories) (80 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
mrmr -
Thank you for sharing your story. Did throwing out the Joey doll help to keep that same experience from happening other nights? Did you have any other types of experiences in your bedroom or in that home?
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
Could it possibly be that it was in fact sleep paralysis you were experiencing and waking up while it was still happening terrified so much that you associated the doll with it? I mean I can't see the connection between the doll and the feeling of being "held" in bed. Just a thought...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: