You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Mom

Real Ghost Stories

My Mom

 

August 12th 2000. It was evening, and we were waiting for bad news to ring on our phone. It was something that we were expecting, from the time it was first diagnosed, earlier that year. The phone rang at about 9pm that night. She had passed away quietly with a nurse aid by her side. At least she wasn't alone when she passed...

My mother was diagnosed with cancer in May of 2000. The doctors did not know what type of cancer because the cancer had already spread itself throughout her entire body. It was already at terminal stage when tests revealed that the cancer had eaten its way through her thigh bone. The doctors informed us that she may have 3 years left in her. We weren't prepared with 3 months. My mother was placed in a Hospice which was in the heart of the city. We were half an hour to 45 minutes drive away, north of the city.

One week before her time, my dad mentioned to her, "Should anything happen, do I have your blessing to remarry for companionship?" My mom looked at him and said "Yes..." Nothing more was mentioned after that.

On the night she passed, I said to my husband let's go and see her. We were told we could come into the Hospice anytime during the night and the next day to say Goodbye. It seemed so final. My Dad was staying with us in the house, and he told us, if the phone call came during the night, just to let him know the following morning and he would say his goodbyes then. The kids were already tucked in bed and my husband's cousin offered to watch them while we went to see Mom.

We arrived at the Hospice soon after, and walked into Mom's room. The atmosphere was incredible. It was warm in her room. She was on the bed, propped up in a sitting position with her pillows supporting her. I wish I could say that she looked peaceful, but to tell the truth, she looked so empty. Just a few days ago she was smiling through her pain, now, there was no life left in her body. Her eyes were partly opened and she felt cool to the touch. I suddenly couldn't breathe and burst out of the room. All I could think of was to go... Be as far away as I could. My husband tried to soothe me, calm my breathing down. The nurses asked if I would like a cup of tea. I politely denied their offer and asked my husband if we could go home.

We had parked our car on the street, and as soon as my husband turned the key in the ignition, the motor would sound up but then die. He attempted a few more times to start the motor, but it would not budge. The car didn't have any problems during the week or during that day, so we were puzzled as to why it would not start now. Suddenly it hit me. MOM! It seemed it was her way of telling us not to go yet. But I knew I could not go back into that Hospice and back into that room.

Hubby suggested that we will need to push start the car, so it was my choice to steer and clutch start it up or hop out and push. I offered to push. Our first attempt failed as we reached the end of the street. We pushed the car around to face the other way and made our way up to the other end of the street with my husband doing a co-ordination of ignition, clutch and gears. We must've looked a sight. "Please Mom, let us go!" I cried and as if by some miracle, the car suddenly started up on its own. "Thanks Mom," I whispered to myself. Coincidence? Perhaps.

But remember when I mentioned about Dad asking for Mom's blessing to remarry? Well, after the fiasco of her funeral and grieving, 2 weeks after, my Aunty approached my Dad with surprising news. Apparently, Mom had arranged another wife for Dad. During her last week, she asked my Aunty to find a lady over in the Philippines. All she remembers of this woman is her name and region where she may still be living. Imagine this, they were school mates in high school, and have not seen each other since then.

So, my Mom had no idea about her life, if she were married, had kids or if she was still alive. My Aunty had many contacts over in Phils and it wasn't before too long, they were able to track her down. She was a school teacher, teaching primary school aged children. She still lived at home, taking care of her own mother and had never married! We were blown away by it all.

Soon enough, my Dad and this woman started to contact each other. She then came to Australia to meet us all. How could I describe our first meeting? She was small and slim, like my Mom. She had the same hair style. From afar, one would swear it was my Mom. But the difference between her and my Mother was the affection. She was 10 times more affectionate than my mother was. She opened her arms and her heart to us and her smile lit up the entire room. My mother rarely smiled. The following year, my Dad married the woman. I now, call her Mom and the kids call her grandma.

To top this story off, whether it's coincidence or it would have some big hidden meaning to it all, my two daughters have the same birthday as my Mom. February 5th.

Mom: 5/2/1938

1st daughter: 5/2/1994

2nd daughter: 5/2/2000

If anyone has an idea about numbers or the coincidences that seem to happen during these times, I look forward to reading your comments. God Bless

Other hauntings by marijun

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, marijun, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

marijun (8 stories) (30 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-08)
Hi snowflake.

Sorry to hear about your Grandma. It is awesome how our children are linked to the elders in some way, isn't it?!

Thanks for dropping by ❤
snowflake (5 stories) (61 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-07)
I'm not sure as to how to say this without you getting offended, but you shared a sad, but good story. I'm sorry for the loss of your mom. I can only imagine the pain. But my one son, and my grandma share the same birthday too! She passed away 11 years before he was born. And I never knew her birthday until 2 years ago! (my son's due date was the exact day he was born too. Usually a baby is born days before or after thier due date.)
marijun (8 stories) (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-28)
Hi KimSouth0
Thanks for your comment. I did mention that my mom was not as affectionate as my step-mom, but she did have a good heart, and all that she did, was for the benefit of others. It still hurts to think that she died young. But the thought that she was able to see all of her grand kids before she left this world, was comforting to myself, my step-brother and step-sister. She's missed so much!
Thanks again for dropping by:)
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-28)
Marijun,
I have decided to comment before reading the others comments, so they can come from the heart.

Your story is beautiful and very touching. Your mother having the care and concern not only for your father but actually for all of you to arrange the possible meeting and companionship with the other woman through your Aunt. What a very brave woman your mother must have been. Although in your story you indicated that your mother did not show compassion and affection all that much, I still sensed that you loved her dearly, and for her to take all of the trouble to arrange this took a lot of both compassion and affection, that type of action comes only from pure love.

As far as the birth dates, I know absolutely nothing about numerology, I do not believe in coincidence but believe for everything there is a reason.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story with us!

God Bless!
marijun (8 stories) (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Hello All

Thanks for your comments.

I guess the number thing has everyone a bit puzzled... Hahahaha... But I think that there are some hidden meaning to it all... Like the birthdays of my girls and their grandmother. Then Mom died the same day as My Dad's Aunty who passed away earlier in the year. And her burial day was the same day as my Step-brothers' Birthday... It seems it's like her way of telling us that she may be gone, but she will not be forgotten. Who knows?!

God Bless
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-26)
Sorry for your loss. Hardest death I ever took was my own mother's. I found it odd that your dad asked your mom about remarrying. I know my own husband and I have had that discussion but I wasn't dying at the time. Maybe it was just the timing that I found odd. I think that is really neat that both your children have your mother's birthday. My mom and her mother had the same birthday and so does my one cousin. My late mother in law and her daughter had the same birthday. Two cousins have the same birthday. I don't know what that is all about but I have always found it fascinating.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-26)
Hi Marijun. I'm glad to here from you again. I'm very sorry of the loss of your mother. But she showed herself. The car didn't want to go and you autimaticaly knew it was your mother. I have a similar story about my mother. You should read it. I'm glad that you have a family again and I know how hard it was for all of you. I do find it wierd that your children have the same birthday like your mom. I don't know how to explain this but know that this is very special. But I bet you already know that 😉.I hope to hear from you soon and take care 😁
poltergeist45 (1 stories) (46 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-25)
Wow that was an amazing story! 😊 But I wonder why your mom didn't want you to leave the hospital so soon? Anyway I'm sorry for your loss, but after seeing what happened with your father and the events following your mothers death I'd say your not all sorry that she passed away, At least you know she is still watching over you! 😉

God bless you!
marijun (8 stories) (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-25)
Hi Bellissima
I think I kind of understand of what you're saying... Thanks for the comment... God Bless
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-25)
Hi marijun. What a bittersweet story. A difficult experience to share, I'm sure. Thank you for doing so. The comment I'd like to make is about the dates. I've heard that births and deaths seem to fall along the same space in time. I wish I could be specific about where this info came to me, sorry. It could be some births, some births and deaths or just a group of deaths. Don't ask me why but I will say that, in this experience, this has definitely been true for me. Births and deaths in my case. It seems for me, the same as you have experienced, the dates are pretty close regardless of the year it takes place. I hope I've made some type of sense to you. Thank you very much for sharing your story.
marijun (8 stories) (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-25)
Hi guys
Thanks for your comments

I think Babyfranz has a point. Perhaps my mom does not want us to be sad with her parting and she clearly does not wish to be forgotten. Especially when Whitebuffalo mentioned that "a form of divine intervention to prevent your daughters from forgetting their true Grandmother..."

Our first daughter was born 26 weeks premature. She was not due until sometime in May of 1994. Coincidental enough, she was born 5mins after midnight on the 5th of Feb. Our second daughter was due at least towards the end of February of 2000. On the 4th of Feb, my mom took me aside and whispered in my ear, "I think your baby will come tomorrow!" I was like, "Mom! Don't say that! She's not due until the end of the month..." then funnily enough, early in the morning of the 5th of Feb, my waters broke! Of course you could imagine the delightful birthday surprise that both my mom and first daughter received that day...

It could be coincidence or it could be something much higher... Who knows?! Thanks for your comments once again. Hope you're all having a wonderful day. God bless!
babyfranz (3 stories) (36 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
Great story! Although my condolence and deepest sympathy for the loss of your mother. But I really can't help but be amazed by your biological mother. She does not want you to be very sad with her parting and I can really see how much she loves you, and your dad as well, that she found herself a replacement to remind you of her. How sweet, I was really touched. ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
Hello marijun,
What a coincidence that your Mother and two daughters have the same date of their birth. I am not a professional numerologist, but in my figuring of their numbers, I do not see a connection, though some one else may. I would like to think that it was not complete coincidence, but a form of divine intervention to prevent your daughters from forgetting their true Grandmother. While their second one seems loving and compassionate, they need to remember their roots.
Thank you.
Nightgoddess (14 stories) (54 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
Thats amazing how your mom and BOTH your daughters have the same birthday. I've heard of random family members sharing birthdays but not siblings. Your story was very touching. I loved it. And sorry for your loss. ❤
Nightgoddess

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: