You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Heavy Angry Breathing

Real Ghost Stories

Heavy Angry Breathing

 

I was fairly young at the time, but it was frightening enough that I did not forget. My mother was in the kitchen, perhaps doing dishes or cleaning something, and my brother and I were in the living room. I was playing in the living room with some toys, and decided I wanted to get something from my bedroom.

I vividly remember walking into my room and looking around on the floor. The floor was a bit messy. There was enough light coming in from the open door for me to see so I did not bother to turn the light on. In all honestly I do not remember what I went to get as I never retrieved it. A few seconds to a minute after entering the room, I felt a presence and a heard a very loud breathing right next to me. The breathing sounded extremely angry, evil, loud, and clear yet I saw no one there.

I was immediately frightened, but at the same time in total disbelief that I was hearing this. I froze and stood still for a second telling myself that I was imagining this. I had to be. After trying to convince myself that it was my imagination the breathing did not stop, so I ran as fast as I could run to where my mother was. I curled up on the floor at her feet screaming, "PLEASE PRAY MOM! PLEASE PRAY! THERE IS SOMETHING EVIL IN THIS HOUSE!"

We did not live at this house long, and I am thankful.

Recently I was watching a you-tube entitled Ghosts, Spirits, and Demons! which my son pointed out to me. About midway through there is a clip of a camera on a tripod filming in a dining area. Some furniture and things are shuffled around, a door opens and closes, but what really scared me was when I turned up the volume and I heard a heavy angry breathing in that video which sounded exactly as I heard as a child. I never finished watching that video after hearing that.

I noticed there is a link to that same video on this site. Perhaps some of you can go watch it. Turn up the sound on the part where the camera is on the tripod. You will clearly hear this very same sound I heard in that room.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oklahoma

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, blackettle, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Treviboy (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-19)
I have experienced this heavy angry breathing several times in my life.

Sometimes for no apparent reason and once it was on the evening of the day my mother had died and I was (of course) very emotional.

I wish I knew what it was. I'm certain it wasn't my dear old Mum, it was too angry sounding for that. The very last time I experienced it was several years ago now.

My passion is trout fishing and I had gone alone to a lake up in the Snowy Mountains (I live in Australia). I like night fishing and so went out after midnight and walked down to the lakes edge and began fishing. Let me say that there were no other people in the camping area and as far as I know the closest people were 25 kilometers away. I was in "the bush". I had been fishing and working my way around the lakes edge for a couple of hours and had crossed via the small dam wall to the other bank. There was a half moon and everything was still and quiet and as I stopped to cast I heard what I thought was screaming coming from the trees way across the bay. It was quite soft in volume but as I concentrated on it, the screaming turned into our old friend the heavy breathing.
I could pinpoint where abouts across the bay it was coming from. Although it was a good half kilometer it was just as loud as it always was. I held my own breath as usual but it just continued.
Now, unlike when my Mum passed away I was not emotionally drained and I love my fishing and had planned this trip for weeks. So I closed my eyes and inside my head I told whatever it was exactly what I thought of it, trying to spoil my fun with its intrusion.

Silently I dressed it down in a manner any Marine Drill instructor would have been proud of. And I WAS angry. I am born under the chinese sign of the dragon and I drew on that power fully. I screamed my anger at it inside my head. A rage-filled preayer perhaps you could call it. Complete with obscenities.
When I had finished and exhaled the breathing had stopped and all was silent.
So far so good. However to return to my camp I had to cross in front of the trees from where the sound had come. So I did. When I reached the relevant point in front of the treeline I purposely stopped and turning my back on the trees had a (hurried) cast into the water with my line. The hairs were standing up on my neck I can tell you, but I felt I had to do it. I retrieved my line and moved on back to camp.
I have not been troubled by the breathing since.
kuehnau (5 stories) (60 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-24)
Hearing sounds are always something I am very skeptical about. There is almost a infinite combination of things that could have caused such a event that it is hard to label it as paranormal. And I do not have the time or energy to exhaust the list of things it could have been.

Videos on Youtube.com are fun, but should be regarded with a grain of salt. Digital media is so easy to corrupt or alter it isn't even funny. So could be said for all forms of media. And even worse yet, they are even more vulnerable to outside influences then we are.

And while I do believe that the entire situation could have been horrifying to you, it does not necessarily mean that it was paranormal. But in the end, the only things we can believe in, our what we, ourselves experienced.

And remember, just because it was breathing heavy, or even watching you, does not mean it was angry, or even evil. Actions take such a huge amount of energy to exert I would imagine sometimes it is hard to keep control of. 😉
TwistedWispersNeko (3 stories) (90 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-20)
I've seen that one. I've also seen a few others, that's scared me so bad, that I had to have all the lights on in the house, just to make me feel safe, for a few weeks.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-28)
blackettle,
(Cute title)
I would agree with Frawin. He has made some very logical associations to your questions, and really to the questions all of us have because, well there is so much not known.

I would like to commend the way you handled this situation. Life is fragile, handle with prayer... And you did.

Thank you for sharing with us!
God Bless!
SilverWolf77 (1 stories) (41 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
I used to hear incorporeal breathing as a young child when I was alone in my room at night. It scared the hell out of me, to say the least. Thankfully, I haven't heard it in years.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-26)
The video was great but I'm not sure all of it is legit.It's a bummer but film can be doctored so easily today. As far as the breathing I have heard breathing myself once that I can remember. It didn't scare me I just thought it odd. Only lasted for a few seconds and I was alone in bed at the time so I knew it wasn't my hubby or the cats or whatever. I can even remember that I held my own breath just to make sure it wasn't my imagination. Very freaky but does seem to be one of those common things that many people have experienced.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-26)
Hello blackettle. While no one can answer your questions with 100 per cent accuracy(that's why it's called the unknown) I will give you my opinion. Please bear in my that this is only my opinion.

"Why do they breath? Obviously they have no physical body and hence no need to get oxygen to the brain, let alone lungs to take the air in..." -- We do not know what kind of body they have, not like ours I'm sure but they have a body nevertheless. Until we are able to travel to their realm and back we can only guess. Maybe they use the growl/heavy breathing as attention getters.

"How do they apply force to physical objects such as throwing things or making foot sounds as if wearing shoes..."-- I feel that the vast majority of the walking that people hear is residual and no presence is there and the throwing of objects is most likely poltergeist activity. Unfortunately every thing can't be tied up in a nice little package- for every tidbit that we do know there is volumes we don't know.


"I have heard some people experience very cold areas. Could a thermal device/camera of some sort be used to visualize the entity?"-- Several paranormal investigators have started using the thermal cameras in their investigations. The TAPS guys on Ghost Hunters have captured things on their thermal.

FRAWIN 😊
MFD (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-26)
Although I'm sorry to hear of your experience, I'm also greatly relived that I'm not the only one. I too have heard the deep, heavy, loud breathing, although mine (fortunately) does not sound angry and is actually right up close beside my ear, so close in fact I can sometimes actually feel the breathe against my ear. I know exactly how you feel, it's a very, very terrifying experience, so terrible that I often found myself crying myself to sleep while growing up. I'm also too afraid to listen to the video, I don't think I could handle it. Although the hearing has not gone away, I still hear it every few months, it's not as terrifying as it used to be, or maybe I've just gotten used to it. Reading your story has really inspired me, thank you.
blackettle (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-26)
a couple of questions baffle me a bit.

Why do they breath? Obviously they have no physical body and hence no need to get oxygen to the brain, let alone lungs to take the air in.

How do they apply force to physical objects such as throwing things or making foot sounds as if wearing shoes.

I have heard some people experience very cold areas. Could a thermal device/camera of some sort be used to visualize the entity?
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-26)
I watched that clip. I'm sure that was a poltergeist. Very scary clip. And tto tell you the truth I'm not surprised you didn't want to wact it. I'm glad you shared your story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
blackettle (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
I have often wondered if the entity was able to enter into me. It sounded very much full or rage, and my memory from childhood is often of me being full or rage.
I do not recall feeing rage prior to that event.
blackettle (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
Whitebuffalo:
Not to my knowedge has anyone in my immediate family (those living with me at the time) experienced any encounters with any entities of that sort.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
Hello blackettle,
Did you hear this breathing just the once (frightening enough, I would not have needed a repeat) in your bedroom? Did your Mother or anyone else in the home ever hear or experience anything?
I would say you had a good handle on things. Going to your Mother and telling her to pray, I mean. I would be interested in finding out if anyone else in the home had any such occurrences.
Thank you.
blackettle (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
I could write about the music box, but I am not 100% certain it was an entity. It was scary at the time and I still wonder about it.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
I think it would be very interesting to hear of that visit to your friend's grave! Hope you will write about it.

Thanks for replying blackettle. 😊
chelleck (3 stories) (56 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
I can tell from your story that it was a terrifying experience for you as a child. And then for you to happen across it again! I can definately relate. I had childhood flashbacks regarding (for lack of words) an icy mist that I never saw; but I walked through it and it blew by and or threw me. I am in the process of writing about it, I'll then post it to this site.

I will not go to 'you tube' and watch or listen to the video to which you are referring, for I do not want to invite angry breathing into my life. I already have the eyes. I will write about it sometime when I get the chance.

Thank you for sharing your story with us.
blackettle (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
oh, and to my knowledge no one else had experienced anything in that house. We did not live there long.
blackettle (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
Well I have experieced things which are questionable, but not for certain to be some entity. I have read on this site about waking up unable to move and having some dark shadow nearby, which has happened to me a few times.

I did experience a juke box playing some music one time when I went to visit a friends grave in the middle of the night, but I should not have been there I suppose.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
That must have been such a traumatic experience indeed. I have watched the video you're referring to and, you're right; it's a terrible thing to have heard especially at such tender age. As I gather you haven't experienced anything like it since. Well, has your mum or any other member of your family heard or seen something while you lived in that house?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: