You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: The Black Shape in the Dark

Real Ghost Stories

The Black Shape in the Dark

 

I would like to start this story off by explaining a little bit about myself and my background. I was born and raised in Tucson, AZ and spent my entire childhood in one house until middle school when my family moved into an older but nicer house. My parents are very religious and I was raised to be the same. Looking back at my childhood I think I have always been a little more sensitive to the paranormal than most but my parents always explained it away as an overactive imagination or "spiritual" attacks. These explanations worked for a long time until the night this story takes place.

About the time I was entering middle school my fathers job was doing very well and we moved out of the little sub-division house into a larger custom house. This house was at least 20 years old but had only had two owners. The older couple we bought the house from were very nice but a little bit "off". Nothing too weird mind you just a little bit strange. My parents didn't see it but as soon as I step into the house for the first time I just felt that something wasn't right.

Nothing too unusual, besides this slight un-easy feeling, happened for a couple years until I was a freshman in High School. The old lady that used to live in the house had some ailment that inhibited her ability to walk very well. The one time I saw her, she was walking across the carpeted living room and her feet kind of made this "scooting" sound as she walked, because she couldn't lift her feet.

One night during my freshmen year of high school I was up late writing a paper when at about three in the morning, I heard these scooting footsteps crossing the living room. I jumped up and turned on the light and searched the house from one end to the other and found nothing; my family being asleep in the rooms at the far end of the house. To say the least this experience was un-nerving and ended my homework for the night and I went to my room and locked the door and tried to get some sleep.

The next morning, like many people do I suspect, I blew it all off and decided that it was the result of too many hours in front of a computer and not enough sleep. None the less, the next night I didn't spend any time out in the living room after the rest of my family went to bed. My room at the time was little more than a large walk-in closet that the previous owners used as a small work room and for storage. It was in the far end of the house from the other bedrooms and it had no window and only the one door that lead to the hallway to the garage. During the day, with the door shut, this room was as dark as a cave; absolutely no light got in. At night I had to leave the door open just to let what ambient light I could from the dark hallway in order to find my way out of my room if need be.

Due to the previous night's experience I was a little un-easy about the dark but fell asleep pretty quickly anyway. I have no idea what time it was or what woke me up, but suddenly I was wide awake and alert. I did not move a muscle but lay there trying to figure out exactly what had woke me up and if it would happen again.

Nothing extraordinary happened and so I got up to check out the rest of the house. However, as I turned toward the door, this feeling of absolute danger and evil hit me. I look towards the door and somehow silhouetted against the very faint light coming through the doorway, was a huge figure. I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs of muscle and this shape was at least a foot and a half taller and much wider than I was and from this figure radiated such hate and what I can only describe as evil. The temperature of the room went from cool to absolute freezing and I felt something hit me very hard in the chest and my throat seemed to close. I literally felt like someone was kneeling on my chest and strangling me. I thought that I was going to die, killed by something that I couldn't fight or see.

I can not tell you how long this lasted or what caused it to stop but just as I thought I would black out and die, the weight lifted from my chest and my throat and I could breath again. I could feel that whatever had been there was gone and I was alone again and my room was a absolute mess from my struggle and it was its usual temperature. As soon as I could I turned the light on and all the lights in the hall, kitchen, and living room.

The only sign that anything had happened was the mess in my room and a very slight red ring around my neck. The next morning I told my parents about it and they just passed it off with the usual reasons that it was all in my head or I was dreaming. I know I was not asleep and I am not crazy. It really happened and there was no way I would ever sleep in that room again.

Now I am and was a big guy and I am not afraid of anything "living" on this planet but that night I was absolutely filled with terror and not for my life but whatever it was it felt like it wanted more than just my life. I don't understand what it could have been but it only happened that one night and as far as I can tell the whatever was in that house returned to complete rest after that.

I have many more stories about different places and completely different situation but I thought since this is my first story and my first experience that I would just judge by the responses I get whether I will continue to post more experiences. I am really busy but I will try and participate as much as I can with any comments I get.

Other hauntings by marine556

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, marine556, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DCinAZ (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-05)
I also live in Tucson and I think because Tucson is one of the oldest, continuously inhabited cities in America it has a very ancient and mysterious vibration to it. I noticed it when I first moved here 25 years ago. It isn't called 'The Old Pueblo' for nothing. From the days of the ancient tribes to the present it's always been inhabited. That's a long time and a lot of energy stored away. I grew up in a small old mining town before I moved here and that place was haunted too. But this town has a much more 'settled' feel to it. It doesn't matter how new the house is when you're living here it's all ancient.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-31)
You know what is great about personal experiences, marine556? (Actually, it is also a problem at times, but, hey) We know through the emotions and the feel of certain situations if they are real experiences or not. How WE, the person it happened to, FEEL about the situation is the reality of it all.
I would love to be ale to sit here at the computer and point out, one by one, the real experiences people have and say with great conviction that this one is true, this one is not, this one is. However, I was not there for most of the occurrences that have been posted here, and I am not psychic. This does have a very real feel to it, though.
Sometimes NEGATIVE entities give off the feeling of being "bad" or evil, and are not demons at all. Sometimes when they start to be known, the anger that some ghosts carry with them from being left behind comes through rather strong.
To answer the question about knowing the difference between that of a female entity and a succubus... You WOULD know. A succubus is a sexual entity who preforms "favors". You WOULD know the difference at first contact. MOST ghosts are not generally THAT friendly.
Thank you for all you do. Your job is an important one, and one that does not receive much thanks, but one that we should all remember needs to be done.
Thank you.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-28)
Marine556,
Explainations on what you think happened or what others think happened are helpful, but not necessary. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said it felt dark and evil, YOU where there, YOU experienced this attack and only you know for sure. As humans, we often have a felling of the atmosphere around us and it causes us to respond or to act. For example, if you go to a dinner party atteneded by others you do not know, not long after you enter the party you get a sense for what the atmosphere is... Are they freindly or rude? Do not second guess your self. Pray, pray, pray. Place a cross in the room where you sleep and pray. If (hopefully not) anything of this nature occurs again, pray immediatley, tell 'it' to leave in the name of the Lord.

Keep us posted!
God Bless!
marine556 (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-28)
SilverWolf77,

I'm with babyfranz in wondering how you can tell what gender the spirit it was. I couldn't at the time that's for sure!

Sorry to everybody else, as you all can tell from my username I'm a Marine so I don't get a whole lot of time to respond to comments. But I'm trying as much as possible! I appreciate everyones input!

Thanks, marine556
babyfranz (3 stories) (36 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
SilverWolf77,

How can you tell that it's a succubus or a female entity? Just curious. I really want to find out. 😁
SilverWolf77 (1 stories) (41 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
That sounds like a spirit known as a night hag, night mare or succubus. It is a female spirit that will crush your chest and suck your breath at night. Sometimes, they take on the form of a black cat as well. Be glad you survived.
babyfranz (3 stories) (36 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
I agree. If they were demonic spirits, or even human spirits, I would suggest that you would have the house blessed.
ElectricTNT (1 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Hey Marine556

That sounds like a demonic attack. I don't believe that human spirits in general can cause any harm. Demons on the other hand are a different story. They are dangerous and who knows what they are capable of. I would be interested in hearing your other stories.
cprincessliss (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
I've had two similar experiences like this, though they were possibly less intense than what happened to you. I have also always thought that I am a little more sensitive when it comes to paranormal activity. Anywho, when I was a kid, I had bad vision so everything was blurry (that is, until I received my glasses at the age of 4. ) For some reason, I remember that I was three when this happened. It was at night, and I sat up straight in my bed, wide awake for no apparent reason at all. I looked at my doorway, which is along the same side of my room as my bed was. I saw a completely black figure, with long, sharp nails on it's hands and long, pointy hair. This image was entirely vivid to me, despite my bad eyesight. It was waving at me. It scared me so much that I threw my covers over my head, hoping that it would just go away.

The other incident was more recent. My friend and I were driving around, and we decided to stop at the lake. While she started to get out of the car when we got there, I remained still. Something, as you descibed, felt uneasy. I stayed in the car and stared out the front window. Suddenly, an all-dark figure appeared; it looked like an extremely dark shadow of a large man. It was standing there, and it seemed as though it was staring at me even though it had no eyes. I felt that we were in extreme danger. I told her to drive away, and luckily she didn't question my judgement.

I would definitely like to hear some more of your stories. 😁
tedebare520 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
😕
damn bro I'm from tucson az and I live right across the street from a famous haunted house. And I understand wwhat you are going through. I have experinced the same thing and at a diffrenet level when I post my stroies you will see. The house across the street from my house came out on and a and e ghost show. Copy and paste this to see the story

http://www.ghostvillage.com/ghostcommunity/index.php?showtopic=10937
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Hello marine556. While your story could be explained away as overactive imagination or extreme nightmare, there is only one person who knows what happened. What do you think happened. This is your truth and your reality. I have had things happen to me that I can't "prove" but to me they are real. Thanks for sharing your story with us. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
wow that was a great story! I know how scared you were. I'm a big guy to but that thing is just bascially scary. I know how hard itwas for you when your parents didn't believe you. I bet if they saw something they would explain it in a normal way. I hope you share your next story soon with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: