You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: A Collection of Strange Encounters

Real Ghost Stories

A Collection of Strange Encounters

 

Although this collection is small, the events happened and I thought it would be pointless to publish them separately, so I put them into one post. The first encounter that I had was at my grandparents house in Birchington, Kent, England. I was about 9/10 years old at the time. It was a party, I can't remember what, may have been New Year celebrations, but I was sitting in the hallway when I caught something in the corner of my eye - a strange white mist floated past the front door.

I sat there frightened. I wanted to tell someone, but all the adults were in conversations, so I went up to the door, didn't open it, but waited to see if it came past again. It didn't. About 5 minutes later, the house went quiet to a large growling and barking outside the backdoor. It sounded like a large vicious dog waiting to be let in. My uncle rushed to the door, flung it open, but it was deathly still outside - A pin drop would have been heard. I was in the kitchen, which led to the door, at the time and I recall seeing a silhouette at the door at the moment of the barking. It hasn't been seen or heard to this day.

The second encounter came about a month or so after my grandfather's death, in May 2006, at my home in Welwyn Garden City, England. It was 2 weeks before my 14th birthday, and the night before his funeral. I was discussing it with my brother upstairs in his bedroom before he went to bed, to settle his nerves and concerns, when the radio turned on by itself and it was playing "You'll Never Walk Alone". This frightened the life out of my brother and I, but I became relaxed, because I knew my granddad was telling me that there was nothing to worry about and he would always be around.

The third encounter I am writing about is very fresh in memory because it happened last night. It was 2:00 AM, and I was working on some coursework in my bed, and I fell asleep. What happened next had me very confused when I woke up four hours 3 hours later. I had fallen asleep with my laptop on, never a wise thing to do, but when I awoke, I found it to be neatly placed on the desk next to my bed. I didn't think at first how it got there, only thinking about the work that I had left. I was dead scared that it hadn't been saved, but to my surprise, was saved. I was in shock. My parents had gone to bed before me and they didn't wake until 7:00 AM. What had gone on that night? One word came to mind. Granddad

What are your thoughts?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jimmyboy92, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Murraymints (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-04)
Thats a really nice story knowing that you grandad was trying to tell you by putting that song on that there was nothing to be worried about. Really nice story 😁
gemzyd1988 (4 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-12)
well at least with the laptop encounter who ever it was wanted to make sure your work was ok maybe it would have been your grandad again looking out for you
miley (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-18)
The growling thing sounds really scary, your Uncle was just so brave of opening the door after hearing it.
Harbringer_of_Doom (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
Awwww that is really sweet. It's good to have someone to protect you in that mannar. Maybe he is doing a guardian angel like role, check for feathers next time something happens, white feathers are a normal sign that your guardian angel has been helping you. 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-31)
Welcome, jimmyboy92,
I am just wondering something. The silhouette that you saw at the door after the vicious growling was heard by everyone, what was the silhouette of? Was it a dog or a person? Had you ever seen the white mist after that incident? I see that the growl was not heard again, but what of the mist?
What a comfort that your Grandfather shared that particular song with you. How truly beautiful.
I almost said that you had saved your data, shut down your lap top and placed it on the desk beside your bed, all while sleeping. But I really do not know. I have heard of some people doing some outlandishly crazy things while sleep walking [Like the man who brutally murdered his wife that he loved with all of his heart. When confronted with the eye witness (a neighbor saw him acting strangely out by his pool) and he had found out what he did, he could not live with himself.] That just may be another Unexplained experience.
Thank you.
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-30)
Sorry for the loss jimmyboy, but I think your granddad is your 'family spirit'.These types are the best for those with families because they can help you any time.

Yours truly,TheUnknown.
HeatherO (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-30)
He made a typo flutterofwings. What's the difference if it was 3 or 4 hours later?
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-30)
"I woke up four hours 3 hours later" hate to say but this part of your sentence just don't make any sense. Was it four hours later or three hours later you woke up?
chelleck (3 stories) (56 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-28)
Jimmyboy,

I too want to say, sorry for your loss. I think I would have found a comfort in the song "You'll Never Walk Alone", that suddenly played on the radio, knowing Granddad was sending me the message (after the inititial shock of course).
babyfranz (3 stories) (36 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Thanks for sharing your story with us jimmyboy92!

Although the message that your grandpa was trying to relay when the radio turned on and the music played, was that "you would never indeed walk alone", it still spooked me out.

Nonetheless, sorry for your loss. I know your grandpa is at peace now. Take care and God bless!
BabyBoo (4 stories) (25 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Jimmyboy,

I am sorry for the loss of your Grandfather. It does sound like turning on the radio with that song playing was a message from him and I hope you and your brother take great comfort from that.

Your story about the growling and the mist was scary. I don't have any explanation.

Your laptop story could either be your Grandfather or you could have done it in your sleep. Sometimes our subconscious takes care of little things like that without bothering to wake us.
You could have known deep down how important it was to save your work and did it without waking.

I also would like to compliment you on such an articulate, well written set of stories. If I did the math right you're 15 going on 16 and it was a pleasure to read the stories. They were well thought out, well written, and coherent. Some of the submissions I have read from teenagers here are sincere but not so well done.

BabyBoo ❤ 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Thank you for sharing your story.
It certainly sounds as if there is a guardian angel of some sort in your home, maybe it is your Granddad, wanting to let you know in little ways that he is watching you and is with you always.

God Bless!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Jimmyboy, I would first like to say, I'm terribly sorry for your loss and I'm certain Granddad will always be around to watch your every step.

Now, my next question might make you feel as if I'm attacking you but I want you to know I'm just asking. You said at the sound of an angry growl, your uncle rushed to open the door. Why would anyone flung a door open when he can clearly hear a growl? I mean, shouldn't he have been a bit more cautious?

As far as the lap top is concerned, isn't it possible that you put it aside yourself while in a sleepy-like condition and not remember it afterwards? I have done it a thousand times myself as certain moves become completely mechanical.

I hope my questions have not offended you.

Thanks 😊
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Well my friend maybe it was your grandfather. I bet that your grandfather let you know that he will always be with you. The laptop could be explained. Maybe somone woke up and saw it was on. But again The unknown can never be explained. Thanks fro sharring your story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: