You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Father's Friend, our Enemy

Real Ghost Stories

My Father's Friend, our Enemy

 

I have lived, in my opinion, an unordinary life. If you have read my other story Visitor in the Dark, you know that I have bounced from place to place. I can't stand the ordinary! After I moved in with my father at the age of 17, he and his family had just moved from a home in Tremoton Utah to my father's home town of Kamas Utah. We moved into "Afton Brimhall's House". This is the first time that I had lived in a home that had its own name. Afton Brimhall was a good friend of my father's and grandmother's. He and his wife passed on before I had met either of them. Afton and his wife both died within the home, which at the time did not bother me. Death by this time was something that I had excepted and was more comfortable with than some. When we walked in for the first time, my step mom (and best friend) turned to my dad and told him that she couldn't live there. She said that she felt like she was unwanted in the house. I felt nothing. My step mother could not sleep when my dad was away on business, and by this time, I was beginning to feel unwanted as well. My step mom and I decided to just stick together and not let whatever was in our home bother us.

About a month later, business started to slow down and my dad started to spend more and more time at home. As soon as he began spending more time at home, the feelings began to become actions against us. At this time, not only was I experiencing problems with the presence in our home, but I was also dealing with a can of worms that I had opened at my friend's home in south jordan (look to visitor in the dark). The attacks in our home began with my step mom and then extended to me. The most terrifying of all these experiences was on my step mom's birthday. We went to dinner at trolly square, together as a family, and to temple square to hear the choir sing. When we came home that night and separated to our rooms, I began to notice that the usual feeling of being watched in my room was gone. I didn't know if I should be relieved or concerned. Just than, all the lights in the house flickered and went out, when they came back on, every electronic device in our home activated. At first we thought that maybe it was a power surge. But than it became evident that it was not. We turned off all of our electronic devices, at which point my little sisters were too scared to go to bed. My two sisters shared a room next to mine. So of course, being the wonderful sister that I am, I walked them back to bed. Once in my room, my stereo turned on and began to play one of my favorite songs at the time. Now, naturally I would not be bothered except for the fact that the song, I believe, was a warning. The band that plays this song is CKY and the song title is Escape From Hellveiw. This bothered me. Though I love the song, the message was clear. I quickly turned off my stereo and stayed in my room feeling if I left in a panic it would scare my sisters.

After a few minutes, the stereo downstairs began to play, volume up all the way, the song that I just turned off. My sisters and I met at the stairs and looked down the banister at the living room where the stereo was. My dad burst out of his room furious. He began screaming Aftons name. This scared me! He began ranting about how Afton had destroyed a good night and upset his family. I have seen my dad upset and can tell you from experience, you don't want him mad at you! So naturally my sisters and I sat quietly listening to him rant trying not give away our position to my dad. Once he was done yelling, he went to bed. Now the thing that bothered me the most was the fact that it never happened again while my dad was at home. I believe that Afton respected my dad enough to not attack us while he was home.

One year later my step mom had had enough so we moved again. I have never been back to that house and never wish to return.

Other hauntings by Heather

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-18)
[at] relative,
You may want to read the previous comments of this thread. The o/p says she was a woman in her comment below. She also mentions how her dad said she made the best cookies. I have a feeling this story got changed in editing, before it was posted up. Having been given a boys name at birth, I have a tendency to notice these things. My birth certificate has my name as Dean, I ended up having to add an E at the end to keep from always getting placed in Boys gym class.

Jav
relative (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-18)
Also if your dad was friends with Afton he would know she was not a man! Who are you anyway?
relative (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-18)
I am a relative of Afton Brimhall. First of all Afton was a woman not a man. She did not build the house. My family built it before her time.
She did not die in her home! She died in a rest home 20 miles away from her home. I was there with her and my family while she passed away. Her body was brought to her home the day she died because she told us family members that she wanted to die in her home. Many of us family members slept in the house that night with her dead body. We did not bring her home to die in the house due to she needed nursing assistance. As a close family member of Mrs. Afton Brimhall I would appreciate you getting the correct information before posting this story that is very far from the truth. There has only been one Afton Brimhall that has ever lived in the Kamas, Utah area! And she was the nicest lady that would do anything for anyone and would NEVER hurt or give anyone a feeling that they were not wanted. She was not that way at all!
Heather (3 stories) (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-23)
I think he knew. He commented when we first moved in to the house that there was nothing to worry about that Afton would watch over our family becasue of her love for my father and his mother and grandmother who were all close. I don't think anyone expected that whatever or whoever would react so negativily to my stepmom and me. I think it was a shock to everyone.
Heather (3 stories) (8 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-23)
Afton Brimhall built the home. Afton was a good friend of his mothers. He spent a lot of time there when he was a child. According to him nobody made cookies better then Afton. So perhaps he did know. But I think that he liked knowing that Afton was still around. Made him feel more confident about life after death.
chunkygut1 (13 stories) (73 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-23)
nice story how was your dad so sure that it was afton?
did he know the house was haunted all along?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: