You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Soda Can Whacked Off the Cabinet

Real Ghost Stories

Soda Can Whacked Off the Cabinet

 

I live in my grandmother's old house. It's an older house, though not terribly old. My grandfather bought it unfinished, and finished it on his own. My uncle swears up and down the house is haunted. He's spoken of kitchen cabinets opening and closing, and things of that nature. I am a skeptic, so I never took his words TOO seriously. (Okay, I might have when I was a child, but as an adult, I've always been a skeptic regarding paranormal things.)

In any case, after my grandmother passed away, my family had the opportunity to rent the house from my father. My husband and I and our three children moved in with no problems. I'd forgotten completely about the supposed haunting of the house until one summer day a few weeks after we'd moved in.

I had been busy during the morning, and decided to take a break. I grabbed a can of Pepsi and went into the living room. I sat in my grandmother's old favorite chair in the corner of the room, cracked open the soda and a book, and relaxed, enjoying the peace and quiet. (My husband had taken the kids out, so I had the place to myself.) It was pleasantly cool and I was thoroughly enjoying myself. I put the soda can down on a small cabinet next to the chair and started in on my book.

All of a sudden, my soda can took flight and slammed against the wall, spilling all over the place. I looked up in shock and saw nothing, and heard nothing. No one was there. Yet if I didn't know better, I'd say someone had deliberately whacked my can of Pepsi off the cabinet and against the wall.

I haven't noticed anything else strange happen in this house since that one incident (and we've lived here for about two years now.) I still have absolutely no idea what caused my drink to be hurled from the cabinet, but it's enough to make a skeptic... Well, skeptical.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maine

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, aimstah, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-14)
That is kind of what I thought, aimstah.
I get the feel that this is a woman, and one which took the cleanliness of the home very seriously.
I think I would do a thorough research of the house and the land surrounding it. I do not get the feeling that this is a woman from your recent family, but one that has come from an extremely long time ago.
I look forward to the next story that is in the makings.
Thank you.
aimstah (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-13)
Hi WhiteBuffalo- nope, no coaster, just a soda can that was probably wet with condensation (cold soda, day was warm though house was cool.) I definitely wasn't concentrating on the can or trying to move it. (So I don't know about telekenesis, poltergeist45).

I talked more to my relatives and I guess my uncle Ron and also my aunt Rita (who passed away long ago) both thought the house was haunted. They experienced things such as cabinet doors opening and closing. I haven't witnessed anything like that (I don't think my dad ever did either, but he hasn't offered any opinion.) There are other aunts and uncles I plan to ask about this "haunted" house. Oh, I also found out that before my grandfather bought this place and fixed it up, it was known in the neighborhood as "the haunted house..." Whether it's because it had strange things happen, or because it was run down, partly finished, and spooky looking, I have no idea. Interesting, nonetheless. Once submissions for stries open again, I'm going to add two things that have happened here to me-- things I didn't think of as being paranormal at the time, but still I'm curious as to people's thoughts (at the times these two things happened I thought it was just my imagination.)
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-31)
Alrighty, how about this, aimstah?
Did you have a coaster under that can of Pepsi, or was the condensation from the side of the can dripping down onto the cabinet on which you placed it? Sounds like an off the wall question (sorry about the pun, there), but from past experiences I have found that the "little things" that used to set people off still seem to carry the same weight as they become living impaired.
For it to have telekineticly been thrown against the wall, you would have had to be thinking on the movement of the can, quite possibly concentrating on that. As you were reading and enjoying the peace of the home, I would think that you gave the can less than a second thought.
BUT that opens up another question: The experiences that you Grandfather shared with you could have been the same entity that removed the can from the cabinet, but I do not think so. I think that was your Grandmother. WHO then, was the entity that so enjoyed your Grandfathers company?
Thank you.
chelleck (3 stories) (56 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-28)
aimstah,

It could possibly be that the spirit just wanted to make a skeptic into a believer. I enjoyed your story, thank you for sharing it with us.
poltergeist45 (1 stories) (46 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Hmmmmmm 🤔 actually I don't think that is a ghost that threw the pepsi can. Ok now this will sound totally weird and you will probably think I'm crazy, and seeing that you are a skeptical person you probably won't believe a word of this but here it goes 😳.
I think your soda flew against the wall because of telekinesis. See I told you that you would think I'm crazy, but its real. Everyone can do it, its just a matter of learning the ability. But in some cases like yours people can use it accidentaly. In my opion there was a point between when you sat the soda down and started to read where for a split second your mind was clear of thoughts (in order for TK to work you must first clear your mind) which caused the soda to fly off the table.
Like I said that is my theory because it happens to me a lot. But I doubt is a poltergeist like KimSouthO said because you would have a lot more activity.
Hey I really don't care if you believe me or not but please don't make fun of me because of my comment (I trust a lot of people here that they wont) but it happens to me everyday in real life for the worst resons, and I really don't need it on my favorite website too. 😢

p.s- sorry I wrote such a long rediculous comment, but that's what I think. Please forgive me.
aimstah (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Silverwolf... My "skeptical" comment at the end meant I was being skeptical of my skepticism;) sorry to have confused you.
SilverWolf77 (1 stories) (41 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Wouldn't an event like that make you LESS skeptical? My only advice would be to keep hold of your pop from now on.
hbdave (1 stories) (18 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
maybe she just didn't like the sode can (probably without a coaster) on HER (or his?) cabinet. I guess its still grandma's place and she likes things to be in order.
aimstah (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
FRAWIN, I didn't make a big deal out of it at all. It startled me but I pretty much laughed it off.

ElectricTNT, I had a good relationship with my grandmother. She was a very sweet "little old lady" type: ) I can't imagine her doing anything aggressive at all.
ElectricTNT (1 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Hi Aimstah

What was your relationship to grandma? Maybe she didn't appreciate you sitting in her chair.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Hello aimstah. How big a issue did you make of the incident? It may have been an attention getter - saying "hey I'm here" or it may have been done to gauge your reaction. I wouldn't worry about it until something else happens. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
aimstah (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Just found out a little bit more info about the house... My uncle wasn't the only one who thought it was haunted, apparently some of the other kids did as well. I have never talked to my dad about it but my mom told me that this place was referred to as "the haunted house" in the neighborhood when my dad was a kid, before his family bought it- whether it was because there were strange happenings or because it was old and run down and abandoned, I'm not sure. My mom's going to ask my dad and uncle and an aunt about it. I guess my uncle refused to sleep here as an adult when he was visiting my grandmother because he felt so strongly it was haunted.

Since I've not seen anything since the soda can incident, does that mean that there's nothing here anymore as far as spirits or what not? (I don't know a lot about paranormal things at all. )
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
It would sound like poltergeist activity to me, except usually there are more than one occurance in the case of a poltergeist.

Perhaps there is simply a benign evtitiy in your home that choose that one time to make its presence known to you as you stated you were the only one in the house at the time.

Keep us posted on any further occurances.
Thank you for sharing your story with us!
God Bless!
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Is it possible that the spirit had enough caffeine for the day? 😉

Seriously though, I bet where you were new to the house maybe the spirit just wanted to let you know it was still there. It was just a way of it making it's presence known.

Jennifer ❤
aimstah (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
LoL, when it had happened, I thought maybe someone was telling me, "No food or drink in the living room!" 😜
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
I have to say that your grandmother didn't like pepsi 😆. I'm just kidding. I think if something did that to you it wouldn't be your grandmother. I have the feeling that this was a evil spirt. But I think it was just passing by. Good thing there hasnt been any disturbances so far. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Aimstah, I don't want to make light of this, but were you not using a coaster when you should have been? 😉
miiish (3 stories) (40 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Hey aimstah, perhaps it was your grandmother warning you that sodas are not very healthy. 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: