You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Lady in Blue at the Train Station

Real Ghost Stories

Lady in Blue at the Train Station

 

The photos were taken close to the time of the incident but not by me. It's weird but TRUE! Here is the story of The Lady in Blue. I was born and raised in Pleasant Plains on Staten Island, NYC. In the mid 1960's when I was around 15, I like all the other kids in NY neighborhood, hung out downtown in front of the corner Drug Store.

One afternoon one of the girls who lived a few towns away needed to leave for home so I offered to walk her to the train station.

Both sides of the train station in our town were elevated. About 20 feet above street level. Both only had one way up and down and no way to get from one side to the other without going down to the street and crossing under the trestle and back up the other side. Otherwise it was a long drop if you tried to jump. The south bound side had 3 or 4 flights of stairs leading to the platform with only a small overhang for shelter. The north bound side (first photo is looking north on northbound side) had about the same number of stairs but went straight up to the platform (to where the lady is standing in the photo). On the northbound side was also a building (see photo) that had the old ticket counter and waiting area. You could still get inside for shelter but it wasn't used for much else at the time.

Lady in Blue at the Train Station 1 As we walked down the sidewalk toward the station we had to pass the south bound stairs go under the trestle and up the north bound stairs to get to the north bound train. As we approached the south bound side, sitting on the bottom step was a very old woman wearing a nice blue dress with big wide brimmed blue hat. As we got closer we could see that she was not pale completed but white with bright red lips. As kids we laughed to ourselves and commented on how bad this old woman looked with all that white make up. It would be the last time we would laugh that day.

We passed by within a few feet of her and she looked as real as anyone, just a bit stranger looking. She seemed pleasant however and smiled a big smile at us as we passed. We then walked the next 100 or so feet, went under the trestle and turned to walk up the stairs to the North bound side. We took the first step, then looked up to the top and there was the old lady looking down at us smiling (she was standing about where the lady in the photo is). We quickly looked at each other in amazement and then back, but she wasn't there anymore.

We continued climbing to the top of the stairs which were at the northern most end of the platform. When we reached the top the lady was not on the station platform. We walked half way down the platform (where the man in this second photo is) and into the waiting area but she wasn't there either. So we came back out.

Lady in Blue at the Train Station 2 Sort of half laughing about the whole thing when we noticed the lady was standing at the top of the stairs where we just walked up and where we first saw her. But we didn't pass her? We stepped back inside for a brief moment to get hold of ourselves and when we came out again she was at the far opposite end of the platform with her back to us looking in the direction of where the train would come from (we were standing about where the man is. Looking toward the far end in the photo).

We went to the right and to the opposite side of the platform (where the woman in the photo is) from her to wait for the train as the girl wanted to get on the first car. We stopped and turned around and the lady was no longer there. Now we were concerned that maybe she had fallen off the platform or that we were totally crazy. Maybe we just missed seeing her all those times. But, we hadn't turned our backs on her long enough for her to get to the waiting room and now the train was in view coming into the station. We could see the whole platform and it was empty except for us.

I told the girl I would go check to see where the old lady went after she got on the train. We stood looking in the direction of the incoming train with the full station in view. The train pulled in and stopped. The girl got on the first car (I was standing about where the woman in the photo is standing) and I went up to her window and knocked on it to say goodbye. I waved goodbye as the train pulled out of the station only to have my blood run cold when I noticed the lady in Blue sitting behind the girl smiling at me as the train pulled away.

I ran home and kept calling the girl until she got home and answered the phone. I told her what I saw and she said that when she paid the conductor she changed her seat and there was no one else there in the car.

Now not many people believe this story but we both experienced it. I never saw the girl again and never told the story until I was in my thirties. Since then I have heard of a few other people having a sighting there of the lady in blue.

Other hauntings by GhostBreakers

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, GhostBreakers, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Martin (602 posts) mod
 
16 years ago (2008-04-08)
Note to readers: the author added photos and updated the story with some commentaries.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
How interesting that she would change platforms repeatedly, and then end up in the same car as this girl you were helping get home. Makes me wonder who the LADY was there to visit?
Thank you.
Chrono (2 stories) (41 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-01)
I love this story, you definatly have some awesome expierences.
Please write more!
Take care,
Chrono 😳
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-31)
Thank you for sharing your story, it was a great read!

There are many accidents and occurances around trains and train stations. Evem if not an accident, there are arrivals and departures that have significant meaning for the people involved. You may have witenessed a residual haunting that is of importance to the individuals who experienced that point in time.

God Bless!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-31)
Hi ghostBreakers. I have to agree with everyone here that train statons often do have accidents. MAybe the lady had one to. I bet she is still trying to get to one plase bu the train doesn't take her there. Poor soul. Try doing research. Maybe you will find some answers to your questions that have been with you all this time. I liked reading your story. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-30)
Thank you for a very interesting account Ghostbreakers. The old lady's apparition wandering in an empty station was quite creepy but sad at the same time as she must have been trying to get back home.

Looking forward to another one of your stories soon.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
-1
16 years ago (2008-03-30)
Seeing this happens like [at] Sorcha said where accidents happen, or people die unexpected. Many don't know they are dead, others don't leave the area they died in. This is a believeable story. Thanks for sharing this with us. I just had one posted called "Trailer #350" of seeing a woman long ago.
Sorcha (59 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-29)
There is usually some type of accidents associated with train stations, so its not surprising this one is haunted. Thank you for posting your story, I really enjoyed it! 😳
Pixiemel (20 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-29)
That was by far the best story I have read! No offence to others, I love ghost stories and I appreciate and enjoy each and every one of them, but this one I really liked! I believe you! Thank you for sharing!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: