You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: It Runs in the Family

Real Ghost Stories

It Runs in the Family

 

In my life, I have had many experiences that I can not explain. I began to think that there was something wrong with me. I was hearing things and feeling things that scared me. I felt alone, I tried to tell my mom but she just kept telling me that I was trying to get attention and was scaring my little sister. When I moved in with my dad, I, again, began to have experiences that I could not explain. But this time I was not alone. My step mom was experiencing the same things that I was. I began to ask my family about any experiences that they had. I was shocked by all of the experiences that my dad's side of the family has had and more shocking, some of my mom's side of the family. These are just a few of the stories that I was able to collect. It leads me to believe that I am more prone to these experiences than others. Anyway, here are some of my favorite stories.

My dad has only spoken of this story once, I think that it hurts to much to retell it. My dad as a teenager was wild. Some of his stories seem to outrageous to believe, but you know how stories can get, they get bigger and bigger over time, but no matter what the story, there is always his trusty sidekick. This sidekick was not only my dad's best friend, he was his cousin as well. I think it's better not to give my dad's best friend a name, don't you? Anyway at the young age of twenty five, my dad's friend/cousin died of cancer. His death was dramatic and as I understand it, painful. About five years later, my mother was expecting her third child, but unfortunately, she miscarried. My dad was away on business when it happened. When he came home, he shared a remarkable story with us. His cousin/friend had visited him during his trip and he wasn't alone. He was holding a young girl by the hand that my dad can only describe as looking incredibly similar to me. In fact, he admits at the time that he thought that it was me. He said that his cousin/friend told him that everything is ok, he told my dad that (and I quote), "I have her, she is safe with me." It was a great comfort to my dad when he needed it the most.

My mother refused to tell me anything that happened in her family, so I went to my grandpa. Grandpa has never lied to me and has always told me what my mother refused to. He said that one of the most incredible experiences that he ever had was when he and my grandmother moved into their present home. My grandpa was having a hard time and was experiencing things that he could not explained. He said that all of his kids were afraid to go upstairs, so he decided to go upstairs to see what was wrong. As he walked up the stairs he felt the hair on the back of his neck rise. He could feel the presence of something lingering just behind him. He said that he took a deep breath and just kept walking up the stairs like nothing was wrong. He entered the first room at the top of the stairs. The feeling intensified, but he just kept pretending that everything was fine. When he finally got downstairs, he related the story to my grandma. He still to this day claims that if he had turned around, he knew he would have seen it.

My step dad's mother had quite a few interesting stories that, though they do not affect me, they are extremely... creepy. My step grand mom's mother moved her family into a larger home due to growth in their family. She remembers that there was always an empty place at their crowded table. I found this odd because her mother had eight children and yet, they always kept a place at their small table open. Why? Because if ever a plate was set in this particular place it would crack. What ever was in the home did not allow anyone to sit in that certain spot of the table. The same woman, in her younger years, lived in a small home just after marrying her husband. She was cleaning her home when she was suddenly attacked from behind, someone or thing was chocking her to death. She was not a religious woman but had once heard that if you invoke the name of christ, nothing unearthly can harm you. So in an act of faith she invoked the name of christ. Just after she invoked his name it stopped. She immediately got up and checked every room in the house. There was nothing.

One of my favorite stories is of my uncle and his visitor in the night. He was asleep in his room when he heard a noise and looked at the foot of his bed. There, standing in authentic pioneer garb, was a young boy he just stared back and as is traditional in my dad's family, it doesn't matter if the world is coming to an end, you just go back to sleep and think about it in the morning. Unfortunately I could never do that -sigh-.

Other hauntings by Heather

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

VoxMortuus (1 stories) (93 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
What one invokes for protection is of no matter. The fact that one DOES invoke protection is all that counts. Even a Witch will tell you to call your own God (or Gods) to your aid if necessary, be they Hindu or Christian.

As the saying goes - "You are only as safe as your psyche allows".
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-31)
woodsmoke, thanks for reading the guidelines. We have plenty of stories from different cultures where they performed rituals from religions other than christianity and they also work, so you may draw your own conclusions. But since the majority of the traffic on this site comes from western countries, the christian culture and references are predominant. We don't have any proofs that a religion over another is the "true" one and I believe it is a false question. No one has a monopoly on the truth.
woodsmoke (2 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-31)
Oh dear. My first activity on the site and it seems I already may have broken the rules. 😳

I don't know as anyone will read these, but I apologize if my previous post was in violation of the "stay on topic" rule. I'm afraid my skepticism, particularly in relation to Christianity, sometimes gets the better of me.
woodsmoke (2 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-31)
I'm curious why it's always the invocation of Jesus' or the "Christ's" name which protects one from "otherworldly" harm. Why not Muhammad or YVHV? Why not Wotan or Osiris? Why not Dionysus, Mithra or Shiva? Why not the Mesopotamian sun god Shamash, the Zoroastrian Ahura Mazda or the Native American Great Spirit? Why not one of the countless "dead gods" created by aboriginal and ancient peoples who never documented their beliefs and who have long since been lost to the obscurity of time?

What makes the dead son of a bronze age Hebrew tribal deity who just happens to be in vogue in modern western culture the Lucky Anti-Demon Charm?
Heather (3 stories) (8 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-01)
Thank you for your input. That is intresting but at the same time frightning. I hope that it soon passes for you. I recently decided to embrace my situation. I love to experiance new things and have always dreamed of having my own adventure. I have decided that by embracing the situation I can begin my own adventure. And god willing I can slay my demons.
unguided_traveler (9 stories) (35 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-01)
my room is practically the only room in my house that is haunted!! at first it didn't bother me, but it's been getting worse to the point where now I have to sleep the first half of the night in my parents room with my mom.
lovable_outcast (4 stories) (10 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-02-21)
I would freak out if I ever saw a ghost in my room... I wouldnt be able to sleep and i'd probrably scream.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: