You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Making His Presence Known

Real Ghost Stories

Making His Presence Known

 

This "haunting" took place in an apartment that my Mom and Dad were sharing in Hampton, VA. My dad had died back in October 1994 after developing complications after heart bypass surgery. I arrived from Colorado the next day to attend his upcoming funeral. That night, I stayed in a small bedroom in the apartment, which may have been occupied by my dad when he was alive.

That night I was able to go directly to sleep. At some point during the night, I was awakened by what sounded like someone violently rustling a plastic bag at the foot of the bed. I didn't dare look in that direction for fear of who (or what) I might see. Gradually, as I listened, the sound of the rustling died down until I couldn't hear it anymore.

At that point, I decided to look toward the foot of the bed. There was nothing there. I assumed it was my dad, who was just letting me know that he is still around. It really scared me and I had a fitful sleep that night. My dad's funeral was still another couple of days away, so I knew that I'd be spending another few nights in that room.

The following night, before going to bed, I spoke to my dad as if he was there in the room with me and said to him that I would prefer if he didn't disturb my sleep while I was there and that I was really frightened. I never experienced that noise again and was able to sleep peacefully in the room until I left.

However, my mom has said that she has heard him call her name and has seen his shadow going up and down the stairs in the apartment. This occurred for several weeks after his funeral until one night she saw his shadow go down the stairs toward the front door. He was never seen again after that.

Other hauntings by Laxe

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Laxe, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

cookie123 (19 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-14)
i feel bad... But why was it a plastic bag noise? That makes NO sense. I liked your story though... It was very good. Maybe when he left the house he was walking to heaven or something. That made me smile when you said that.😁
❤ cookie123 ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
How beautiful, Laxe.
Thank you for sharing this. What is the best part of this is that you asked your Father to not disturb your sleep, and he complied by not waking you up with the rustling. I love the description of that sound. There really is no other way in which to describe it, is there?
I would say that your Father felt comfortable in the knowledge that all that he wanted to contact, were contacted. He was just around to allow everyone the opportunity to know that he was well and where he was meant to be. I think he let everyone know he was well, so that he could continue on with his journey.
Thank you again for this beautiful story.
Tonith (1136 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-04-05)
I have heard many stories like this after the passing of a loved one. Has to be something to it and it can't be all blamed on grief alone. My sister in law was not even thinking of her uncle who had recently passed when she was out walking the dog in the woods and internally heard her uncle's voice saying " Go see your Aunt Betty she isn't dealing with my passing very well and needs to know I am still alive in spirit. She said she wasn't scared but knew it wasn't her own imagination. He had been very sick for a few years and his passing was a blessing. I know it helped her aunt deal with his death and that's what it was meant to do. Another time after my aunt's mother in law died (whom she didn't get along with) my aunt said she felt her presence in kitchen and told her " You old witch get outta here" she never felt that presence again but knew without a doubt when it happened that it was her mother in law's nasty spirit. Hope now that she is passed as well they have patched things up.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
The "plastic bag rustling" sound hooked me. I have heard of a few other instances like this--what's with plastic bag sounds?

When I was a teenager in the mid-late '90s, over a three-night period, I heard what could only be described as someone crushing an empty, plastic two-liter bottle of soda. I heard it two nights in a row while sleeping in our basement because my room was being renovated and a third time when I slept upstairs on my brothers' floor because I was scared of having heard this "crunching" two nights in a row at about the same time (4 am-ish?) in the basement.

To this day, I have NO idea what it was, only that it certainly occurred and seemed deliberate in that it happened on a "schedule..."

Wait, whose story is this? 😁
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
Sorry for your loss. But your dad did want you to know, that even though he had passed on, he has not forgotten you. And when he felt his wife was okay, he then knew it was time to go to the other side. Entities often do this, when they die especially suddenly. Some how, sme way they let you know.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-31)
Laxe,

Thank you for so much for taking time to share what I am sure continues to be a difficult event to discuss.

KimSouthO and the previous comments are right on the mark. It really sounds as though your father needed to make certain that you and your mother knew he was there. From the perspective of the living, I tend to dwell upon the loss and pain that I and my family and friends experience when we lose someone. But your story is significant because it also demonstrates the counterpoint--that it must be especially difficult for those who pass on to let go of their loved ones.

The sound you heard that first night seems peculiar. Do you remember if there was actually a shopping bag, dry cleaners bag, etc in the room with you?

How odd that you mentioned Hampton. I have spent the last five summers in Hampton's old down town conducting research and excavations on the remains of the colonial port.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-31)
Laxe,
I am very sorry for your loss.

It sounds to me as if your Dad wanted to be certain you and your mother were able to know he was looking out for you, he was able to portray that by making his presence known, and was then able to cross over to the light. I am certain he still looks down on noth of you.

Thanks for sharing your story with us!
God Bless!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-31)
My deepest sympathys for your loss. I know How hard it is for somone close to us pass awaz. But I think your father wanted you to know he was with you guys. It must have been hard for your mom and your dad wanted to be with her. Then I think he new it was the right time for him to leave. He went to a better place. Thank you for sharring your story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-31)
I'm sorry about your loss. It seems that him going out of the door was him going into the light. He was also probably just making sure you two were alright before he left.

Thanks for you story. ❤
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-31)
Laxe thank you for your story and welcome to the site. My deepest sympathies for your dad's loss.

As I see it, since your mum also saw him, it must have been your dad paying you a visit that night. I guess he just wanted to see that both of you were alright before he took the longest of all journeys. According to my religion (but not neccessarily yours), the soul of the deceased is still wandering around his home and his beloved ones for 40 days after his passing. For that, we keep a bowl of wheat on a table with a lit candle and pray to help his soul find the light.

It sounds as if your dad has found his way and is now at peace.

Take care

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: