You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: I Asked Him What Heaven Was Like

Real Ghost Stories

I Asked Him What Heaven Was Like

 

I was in the USAF stationed at Grand Forks N.D. in the early 80's. I had a friend who worked with my husband. His name was Scott, but we called him "Lurch". He worked on the airplanes. That morning, him and four others were working on a plane that had just come back in. It was business as usual. The plane blew up, and all five of the airman were killed. It was caused by human error.

I was at home (base housing) at the time of the explosion, it shook the whole house. A couple of nights later I came home from work (swing shift) and the house was like an icebox. I checked the heat and it said 75. I just could not get warm. I went to bed, and I was in a half asleep, and half awake state. I rolled over and Lurch was sitting in a chair next to my bed. I looked at his eyes, they were such a beautiful blue, just like in life. I said "Lurch what are you doing here"? "Your suppose to be dead..." I asked him what heaven is like, have you seen GOD"? He said "I don't know, I don't want to be dead". He said that "I've got a new baby, and a wife". "I want to be with them..." I told him that he could watch over the baby, and his wife from heaven. But that he had to go to the light. He said okay and then he disappeared.

The next day I went over to his house to pay my respects to his wife, and family. I so wanted to tell her what I had experienced, but I was afraid that I would upset her. So I never told her about it. I assured her though that Lurch was with GOD, and that he would watch over them.

White Horse

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Dakota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, whitehorse, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-12)
Whitehorse,

This is one of the most touching stories I have read.

You must feel honoured your friend chose to visit you one last time.

Lakota73 😊
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-28)
Hi White Horse:
I think that you should share this story with your friend's wife. Even though much time has passed she would still find it comforting. I had a similar experience and one that I may share in the stories. My experience happened a few years ago and I did tell the person who the message was intended for.
DixieChick101 (4 stories) (53 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-18)
This was an exceptionally beautiful story. It has comfort wrapped in it. It gives comfort to everyone who has lost someone they love (d).
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
Hello Whitehorse.
You did a very kind thing by not telling his wife that he had visited with you. You did an equally kind thing by helping him with the decision of Crossing Over. So many times we want to hold our friends close and keep them near us, even though we know that things would be so much better for them if they could just be where they are meant to be.
Thank you.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-05)
While I agree telling the wife would have been untimely there may be a chance for you to tell her in the future. I think when life is taken very suddenly and that person had so much to live for it's very possible they are afaid to move on because of their pull to their family and earthly obligations. Hopefully the wife will eventually hear that her husband is alive and well on the other side and is watching over them. It may be a great comfort to her if told in the right time.
poltergeist45 (1 stories) (46 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-04)
What a nice story! I'm sure your friend is in heaven watching over his familey, neither you or his familey have anything to worry about. Mabey in time you will see him again. 😉
Kirby (5 stories) (57 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
Sweet story. Though it is very short. Thank you for sharing. I bet that he is in heaven.
-Kirby
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
A very good story and well written. I will put this into my favorites. So sorry that Lurch didn't want to leave his family behind. But I feel that he has crossed over okay and is still looking after his family from where he is now.
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-01)
Ahhhh,this ghost is so great. Hope he has a good time in heaven,whitehorse.

Type of ghost:A ghost who hasn't gone to Heaven yet. But with your help, he can finally go to Heaven.

PS:Let his spirit do as usual in his house, ok whitehorse.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-31)
Whitehorse,
what a beautiful and touching story! I am sorry for the loss of your friends and team mates.

If it means anything, I think you handled the entire situation very admireably.

Thank you for sharing your story with us!
God Bless!
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-31)
Sad but beautiful story, thanks for sharing. I think you made the right choice in not telling his wife. I expect the reaction of someone in her situation would be less than positive.
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-31)
Thanks for your story.

I completely agree with Rhodes, and I'm sure he's in heaven watching over his wife and child. ❤
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-31)
Whitehorse, hi and thanks for your story.

I think you did a good thing to avoid telling the wife of the deceased that you saw her husband especially since his visit was right after the event and he was still unwilling to accept the bitter truth of his death. She would have been more devastated had you told her.

I sure hope he has crossed though as the idea of leaving his family was unthinkable to him.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: