You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Angry Grandmother?

Real Ghost Stories

Angry Grandmother?

 

Hi. This is my first story and I'm going to try and be as detailed as possible so forgive me if I go overboard. My family is from a small mill town just outside Charlotte NC. Both my parents were born and raised there, but when I was five my dad got transferred and we moved to SC. The house that this took place in is my dads parents house that he grew up in. My grandmother (his mom) passed away about 10 years ago and my grandfather lived in the house until 3 years ago when my dad had to put in a nursing home because of his dementia. My dad was transferred back to NC so he and my mom moved into the house and began remodeling.

Now, and this is important, my grandmother and my mom did not get along. My grandmother, god rest her soul, was a very unpleasant women. She was manipulative and hateful. She wasn't a good mom to my dad. He is an only child. They had many, many issues that, unfortunately, were never resolved before she died. She never thought my mom was good enough for my dad. I remember lots of tension as a kid. She even went as far as to storm out of our house on Christmas day because she didn't like the present my mom got for her. So needless to say I'm sure my mother living in her house and remodeling her things is making her roll over in her grave.

Now, this all happened Thanksgiving of this past year. My husband, our two kids and I, all live in SC so we spend the night at my mom and dads whenever we come visit. The day was like any other Thanksgiving, food, drinks and all my family together. Strange things had been happening since they moved in. Things out of place, doors closing on there own, the doorbell ringing at random, all things that my are easily explained away.

This particular evening was not out of the ordinary. Nothing strange happened. We had a lovely dinner. After all my family said goodbye we got the babies ready for bed. They both sleep in my moms room. The house is fairly small. Two bedrooms one bath, living room and kitchen. The bedrooms are side by side. Me and my husband sleep in my dads old room.

So it gets late and we all go to bed. Now, my husband does not believe in ghosts. He is quite the skeptic. So when we get up the next morning and he tells me that he thinks the house is haunted I'm shocked to say the least. He tells me that about 2 or 3am he woke up because he thought he heard our son crying. He laid there for a few minutes because he knew both kids were in my moms room and she would take care of it.

As he laid there listening he realized that what he heard was not our son at all. It was a women's voice. He thought that my mom had gotten up and possibly was talking to my dad. He said he was rolling over to go back to sleep when the voice got louder. He described it as a women calling out, but he couldn't understand what she was saying. He says this went on for about half and hour. He just laid there trying to rationalize in his head all the things that it could be. My parents have 3 cats so maybe it was them playing. Or maybe it was something outside. But he said the longer he listed the more he realized it wasn't any of those things. It was definitely coming from inside the house. He finally fell back asleep.

The next morning he tells me and my mom this story and we both just laughed it off. Ha ha it must be Jane (my grandmother) harassing you. So we all just let it go.

That day things in the house were weird again. The doorbell rang 3 different times when no one was at the door. My dad finally got enough and disconnected it. Stuff in the kitchen was out of place. My coffee somehow managed to make its way from the counter where I sat it down to the top of the bookshelf while I was in the bathroom. My kids were fussy all day which may not have had anything to do with a ghost. My daughter who is usually very independent clung to me all day long. The cats were very spastic. Running about and being weird. They usually just lay around. The bathroom door refused to stay open all day. It kept slamming shut. Again all things that are explained away.

So that night we all went to bed. In the middle of the night my husband starts shaking me to wake me up. I roll over about to ask him what the hell he's thinking, I'm very unpleasant when woken up, when he covers my mouth with his hand and says "listen". So I lay there listening intently when I hear it. A women's voice. It sounded like it was in the hallway. I wasn't able to make out what it was saying, but it did indeed sound like it was calling for something. So we're both laying there listening and giggling like two school girls at how ridiculous this situation is. I begin whispering that I'm sure its the cats or something.

After a few minutes I get up the nerve to go investigate. I open the bedroom door and see what looks like a cloud of mist in the hallway. It immediately vanishes when I step out of the bedroom. So I'm standing there certain that I'm seeing things when the DISCONNECTED doorbell starts ringing. DING DONG DING DONG DING DONG. Over and over. Wakes everyone in the whole house up. My dad goes and checks the wires and they're all just as he left them. Disconnected. This goes on for a good 2 minutes then just stops. My kids are hysterical and my poor non believing husband is convinced satan himself is coming to kill us all.

We finally got the babies back to sleep and all went back to bed. The rest of the night was calm. We went home the next day. Since then my dad has gotten rid of the doorbell all together. Things still come up missing or out of place, but my mom says she hasn't heard anything at night.

Now maybe this is a ghost maybe not. My question is if it is indeed my grandmother and she's pissed off that my mom is living in her house and remodeling why isn't she calling out to her? Why bother my husband, who never even met her? I'm open to all suggestions.

Thank you for reading my story. I know its very long.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Harperllen82, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

purpletrees (1 stories) (14 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-17)
your story was very funny. It may be grandma or someone else.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-06)
Oh, no, Harperllen82,
Perhaps I did not make MYSELF clear. I feel that it is a distinct possibility for those with dementia and other like afflictions to travel to the places that they love. In spirit form.
I work as a in home Personal Care Assistant for persons who have alzheimer's and dementia, a few of them have other problems with or with out the added strife of both of those, but I will tell you, there are times when the body is present, but the spirit wanders.
When that happens, it would APPEAR as if that person is a ghost. They are not, as you can clearly see them before you, but for all practical purposes, and to the viewer in the separate location that they are seen in, they would appear to be spirits or ghosts.
When I said that I felt that you needed to help them BOTH Cross Over, I did indeed mean that. Your Grandmother, Great Spirit take her Home, needs to be there as she is presently life impaired. Your Grandfather needs to feel the PEACE of the Other Side.
This may simply be a personal opinion on the whole dementia/alzheimer's deal through personal experiences, but I have, on two separate occasions helped someone to see that life is not all about confusion and misplacing their rent money. As their minds are on a split plain, so to speak, so is their body and soul. By telling a PERSON to Cross Over, even if they do not have full use of their God given faculties, they understand that you are NOT telling them to PASS ON, simply to embrace the peace.
What I meant to say was that when your Grandfathers Spirit is playing in the house, tell IT to go to the Peace. Here you have a man so FULL of life, but stuck in between two ways of living it. How frustrating. I know that you are experiencing it also, as you visit with him often, that is ALSO why I described his way of life in the past tense. He is no longer as he was while living in the home.
Once the SOUL finds peace, so does the body. It may come slowly, and I really am NOT talking about a cure for dementia. Unfortunately, as we live our lives today, there is no cure as of yet. But there are ways to help instill PEACE. With your Grandfathers spirit wandering between his life at the home, and his life at home, where is HIS peace while he still lives?
I hope I did not mess that up more with my explanation of what I had meant to say, I so, I would be more than happy to explain further, or to reword what I have said. I do not mean to confuse, sometimes my mind works when my fingers forget to type and the phrases that I think do not sound right in black and white.
Thanks again.
Harperllen82 (1 stories) (33 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-05)
Thank you all so much for taking the time to read my story. I fear, however, that I have accidentaly lead you to believe that my grandfather has also passed. He is still very much alive. He does have dementia though and is in a nursing home. We actually take the kids to see him at least once a week. He still comes over to join us for the holidays. I'm sorry if I made it seem like he was dead too.
WB: You nailed it with so many of your details about my grandmother. She did indeed take every opportunity to rant to my poor grandfather. And it was pretty much impossible to get a complement out of her. My grandfather is very sweet and often tried to keep the peace between my mom and my granmother. I will try the lavender incense and the crystals you suggested. We spent the night here in the house last night and except for some russling noises I heard comming from the living room when I got up to use the bathroom it was very quiet. I'm sure it was probably really the cats this time.
Rosered66: Thank you for your suggestion to leave something of hers around. We have a Madam Alexander doll collection of hers that is still on display in the living room. And I put a door stopper that she crocheted (I don't think I spelled that right) in the kitchen. So hopefully that will put her more at ease.
Again thank you all so much for your imput and advice. I will let you know how it turns out.
katie_mccrunk (3 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-04)
i agree with white buffalo, it seems that you Grandmother wants the house to be the same as the way she left it. The fact that is you mother just makes the matters worse. You and your entire family need to try to communicate with these spirits to regain peace within your parents home. For their sake and yours. I really enjoyd your story thank you.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-04)
Here is a thought, Harperllen82.
You did not say this, but was your Grandmother the type of woman who when something upset her, she would go to her husband and rant about it? I almost get the feeling that she was.
I can really sense an inner turmoil here. I feel a woman who wants control of her home, who wants to be free to do whatever it is that she feels is right for the home, but feeling that she can not. I feel a woman who wants the house decorated, stocked and arranged in a way in which SHE feels is comfortable. But I feel that she thinks she needs to check with someone before and after every decision.
THAT, I do not feel, is your Grandmother. I think your Grandmother was a very strong willed woman. Almost ostracized for her opinionated ways. She was not one to keep quiet when something was not to her liking, but very slow to offer a compliment when one was due. In fact, I would find it hard to imagine her actually going out of her way just to say "good job".
Your GRANDFATHER, however, was the exact opposite, I feel. He was the kind one that brought everyone into a loving embrace figuratively and it tore him up to see that things were not going as well as he thought they should. He loved the home and everything about it, (Except for that annoying drip in the bathroom) and never wanted to leave. For his own safety, though, he had to. But he returned.
I feel, and I COULD be completely wrong here, that your Grandfather and your Grandmother are in your parents home, and there is a bit of a conflict going on there. I think he is the one to move the coffee cup and to hide the keys, and a small notebook that has some important information in it. He is not trying to be aggravating. He wants you, or SOMEone to know he is there.
I feel that your Grandmother is throwing a bit of a fit. She is understandably ticked off that someone has decided to allow "that woman" to rearrange her things and to make needed adjustments and improvements to the place. I almost get the feeling that she likes the phrase "what was wrong with it before?" No one was listening to her as she called out names, and knocked on things (after all, pipes make noises and the water heater always made a bit of a racket), so, in her tantrum... The wailing is also her. Tears worked with her husband, why not with YOURS? The doorbell, that is her too.
To take control of the house, your MOTHER needs to burn some lavender incense in both the room that your Grandfather used and in the room that your Grandmother used. Her negativity in life, unfortunately, seems to have bled over. It happens. If she can, or with your help, I really think you need to talk them both to The Other Side. A Native American Smudging may be in order, and there are complete instructions in the article section of this site.
Your children are feeling the angst of your Grandmother and the cats have no clue which one of the two they are more afraid of.
I am sorry, I could go on, but I realize this has gotten rather long. There is so much FEELING in this story, it is hard to express it all.
Thank you, and sorry I took so long to get here.
😊
rosered66 (5 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
Hi Harperllen82, I really enjoyed your story. It seems to me that even though your grandma was mean and stern she was probably crying for help in different ways but nobody knew. I don't think she truly really hated your mom, its just that once your parents married he no longer needed her and I know all moms like me think no woman is good enough for their precious sons. She sounds like she was lonely in life and she had no purpose to live in other words she could not control herself for being mean for that was the only thing she had a hold of that nobody could take away. So when your parents are remodeling she can't stop it so she cries and rings doorbells to say stop remember me that house was my life. So try leaving a part of your grandmother in the house and also remember a loved one always makes their presence known more during the holidays. I hope this helps you and try keeping a picture of her in the living room or have your mom ask her questions like so do you like these curtains or do you like this color of paint that would show your grandmother that she is missed.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
That was a story I really enjoyed reading mainly due to the author's attitude towards the events. I too think that humour can sometimes have a "healing effect".

Thanks for sharing Harperllen-your grandma must have been quite a woman 😊
Harperllen82 (1 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-02)
Thank you to everyone who has read and commented. It makes me a little sad to think, even though she was not the best person, that she has not crossed over and is lingering in the house. I would like to help her if I can, but I don't know how. I am, again, open for suggestions. I don't know how my mom would feel about me burning sage in her house, but I could ask. I'm not sure that shes entirely convinced there's anything wrong. We are going up to visit this weekend so maybe I'll feel her out. I hope nothing happens. We haven't spent the night since Thanksgiving. My husband is a little nervous. 😉
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-02)
Harperllen82,
What a great story! I loved the way you wrote this, with just enough humor to keep me going.

If indeed it is your grand mother (or whoever it is) they may have tried to communicatte to your mom, she may not have picked up on it, subconciouslly or consciouslly ignored the attempted contacts. Sensing your husband as a true skeptic and having not dealt with him before, she felt this was a certain way to garner some attention. Sounds to me as if she craved attention as alive, may be the same now tha she has passed on.

God Bless!
vickifigueroa (5 stories) (34 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-02)
I absolutly loved your story! You cracked me up a couple of times 😆 But anyhow, that has to be the scariest thing to wake up in the middle of the night and hear a voice in the hall. I would never be brave enough to walk and open the door, so much props to you, my lady. If all the rucus is caused by your grandmum, you should have your mom tell her to go to the light or maybe burn some sage. I also have a haunted apt. And that's what everybody keeps telling me what to do. So good luck to your mom and hope your grumpy grandmum doesn't get too annoyed having your mom be there.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-02)
Hi Harperllen82. I really liked your story. I have to agree with Frawin that the ghost was just calling out to anybody. It wanted to be heard. That explains why there are still things going on it the house while you guys are not there. I am sorry that your grandmother died. I don't know what religion you are but the next time you do vist, try praying. This might help. Tell her to go to the light. I think she needs help because her soul is not in pease. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
FRAWIN (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-01)
Hello Harperllen82. I enjoyed your story very much, thanks for sharing it with us. I personally don't think she is calling out to him. She is just calling out and he just happened to receive it. I think she just wants to be heard and don't care who hears. Ghosts and spirits usually has the same personality as they had in life, and you said she was hateful. To get any peace in the house you can either try to get her to cross over or banish her from the house. Good Luck.

FRAWIN 😊
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-01)
Like they say, you're a skeptic, until it happens to you 😉 Thanks for the story, Harperllen82.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: