You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghostly Bedroom in Mayfair

Real Ghost Stories

Ghostly Bedroom in Mayfair

 

This one happened while we were living in Philadelphia. At that point, I was about 2 and my parents and I were living in a townhouse on Bleigh St. In the Mayfair section of Philadelphia. Although I was too young to remember living there, my mom swears that the house was haunted and she is a pretty level-headed woman.

There were several strange occurrences that happened that really have no logical explanation. One time, my mom realized that she was missing $100. Thinking that my dad had taken it, she asked him about it and he denied it. A few days later, someone punched her jewelry box, leaving the imprint of a fist in it. Once again, she just figured that it was my dad that had done it and thought nothing more of it.

A few weeks later while my aunt was at the house, my mom suddenly got the urge to pull up a corner of the carpet in the living room. When she did, she found five $20 bills arranged in a perfect fan under the carpet. Knowing that there is no way that the money could have been arranged there and stayed in a perfect fan after the carpet was put down and pulled back up, she figured that some other presence in the house was paying her back for the money that had disappeared.

Aside from those few events, most of the paranormal activity was centered around my bedroom. I don't know if these memories of mine are real or not, but I seem to remember laying in my crib and seeing flying balls of red and green lights swirling above me crib. I must have seen something, because I would cry and scream "Out, out!" not stopping until my mom had taken me outside onto the sidewalk in front of the house.

Several of my aunts and uncles had also stayed in that bedroom at times, getting equally freaked out. When my uncle stayed there, he slept with a shotgun on his chest, because he said that it felt like someone was coming to kill him the entire time he was asleep in there.

We've long since moved out of that house, but I would love to know the history of it and try to talk to the person living there now and see if they have experienced anything. Does anyone know any way that I could find out the history of the house? My mom should remember the exact house number and I would love to know what exactly I experienced.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SigTauGrr, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SigTauGrr (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
whitebuffalo,
Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about calling them, but I will have to try that.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
Hello SigTauGrr,
As your Mother probably had the exact address, I would think that you could go the the courthouse and request the records of the home or the land on which it resides.
As you live so far away, right now, you could probably ask for the information to be sent to you.
Thank you.
SigTauGrr (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
Thanks for the help. I will get the address and see what I can dig up. I've looked online quite a bit, just to see if there were any reports of haunting from there, but couldn't find anything. Unfortunately, I live in Virginia now, about 5 hours or so away from Philly, so it's hard to get the local history of Mayfair. I will definitely be checking out the library there though next time I visit.
black_rose (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-06)
i think you should try to know much more about the history of the house or try to contact the owner of the house and yes the local liberary also has sufficient info. LOVED YOUR STORY.

STELLA ❤
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-05)
Was your town house old? I know many are in the historical sections of Philly. Hope it's still standing and you can get some infomation. Sometimes kids can remember something from a time when they were very little because it made such an impact. Don't think you or family was imagining it because your relatives felt it too. Something was there.
rosered66 (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-04)
I enjoyed your story very much, and if you would like to find out about the house. The local library usually has all the information you need starting with the very first owners. Good luck on your efforts
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-02)
Thanks for sharing your experience ❤
I do think that you should check out the history of the house just for curiosities sake.
From the sounds of it the spirit that you talked most about seemed to be very angry.
Take care and let us know if you find anything!:)
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-02)
My first suggestion would be to get the address from your mom and try sending a written coorespondence, or if you would rather knock on the door.
You can check city records for histpry on the house, or speak with neighbors that live in the area, you may be suprised that some of them have been there a while or have family that have been there and may be able to give you some information on the house.

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: