You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Hands, Voices and Haunted Objects

Real Ghost Stories

Hands, Voices and Haunted Objects

 

I don't know where to begin. My mother and I both had similar encounters when I was about seven, but I only learned about hers last year. Now that I've put the pieces together, its even stranger than I thought. I always figured that my seven-year-old brain was just showing me what I wanted to see, you know? I always thought the house was haunted when I was little; I still do. But looking back, I know I was only partially awake, and I wasn't just seeing things.

I was asleep one night, when something strange woke me up. Afterward, I couldn't remember my first few moments awake until about a year ago. I must've accidentally blocked it out somehow. Something, many things, were whispering, and I'm guessing that was what woke me up. At first, I didn't pay very much attention to it; I wanted to go back to sleep. But after a few minutes of awareness, what the voices were saying was clear.

"Erin Go to your parents room Erin Its not safe here please leave your parents can protect you Erin..." each voice and statement melting into the others. This whispering repeated for a few minutes, slowly becoming louder and louder until I was almost halfway convinced that I should do what the voices said. Then one of the voices did it. It sounded like it was about an inch away from my face, and it said "Erin, please. Go to your parents' room..." I was up, alright, but I wasn't as nearly as functional as I would've hoped.

So I hopped out of bed and left my room, but halfway down the hall near my parents room, I realized that I needed to go to the bathroom, and the bathroom was behind me.

My hallway is a weird one. There's a corner you need to turn if you want to see my bedroom door or the bathroom, but I already past that point by a foot or so when I wanted to go. There weren't any lights on in the house that I can remember, but I could see clearly enough. I turned halfway around so I could go back to use the bathroom, but I stopped in my tracks before I could completely turn to face it.

There was a hand (maybe it was two, I can't remember) about two feet away from my head on the other side of the turn. Of course, I was fully awake then. The thing looked like it was made of - don't laugh at me - cool whip, and it was pure white with a sort of bluish tint where the shadow would be. It felt like I stood there for a hour or two to stare at it, but I know that it wasn't even a full second before I started running. I didn't scream, I just ran. To this day I think that was the fastest I have ever run. Impossibly fast.

When I ran into my parents' room, they were still asleep. I quickly slammed the door behind me and let out a breath that I must've been holding when I saw the hand(s). My parents woke up when the door slammed and turned on the light. I crawled into bed with them, crying my eyes out and muttering about hands and cool whip. I think they thought I had a bad dream or something, but now I know that it wasn't just me that was seeing ghosts.

Last year, I told my mom I remembered the first part of my experience, and she decided to tell me one of her own. At around the same time - when I was seven or so - my mother heard someone walking in a circle in our attic. My dad was in his office, and I was in my room, so it couldn't have been us. Eventually, the walking stopped. She told my father about it, but to this day he thinks me and my mother are both nuts. Lucky him.

That year we got my dog. She's a Doberman, and she's absolutely horrible as a guard dog. She never barks or howls or anything; she just groans and sits around all day doing nothing.

Well anyway, my father's friend came over for a visit, and he heard the footsteps too. He told my mom that she might have some sort of object that possessed a ghost. He suggested masks, for some reason. Anyway, after he left, she went up into the attic and searched for anything that felt out of place. She found a mask that she was going to give me to color. She had found it at a garage sale, and spray painted it white before she would give it to me.

Well apparently it looked out of place, so my mom took it downstairs. When her foot hit the ground of the first story, my dog -- the lump that does nothing all day and doesn't make a sound - sat up and howled at the top of her lungs. As you can imagine, my mom freaked and burned that thing in our outdoor fireplace.

To this day, we aren't sure what happened when I was seven. It hasn't happened for a while now, but I'm starting to wonder about those voices when I woke up. Is my house some sort of battle ground for the paranormal? Good God, I hope not!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Upsideout, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

amberlapoint (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-13)
I'm sure there were spirits in your home. Maybe even a negative one, generally burning objects/blessing them doesn't help if there is an earthbound spirit attached though. I don't feel like the thing attached was a demon, either, as it would not have given up that easily. It (sensing 'he'?) could have been a little negative, or in a bad place before death, and that's why he hadn't crossed over. The other spirit that was being helpful was likely your spirit guide, which I'm feeling like is a female. You're very fortunate to have someone that will vocalize to help you! Also, when you're younger... Spirits will come to you more and you can obviously see more... Most people grow out of it, or stop seeing things all together... Some don't.:)
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-08)
Hello Upsideout,
I posted a comment on here yesterday, just before shutting down the computer, but I do not see it here, so I am back.
I am assuming that you are called Erin and not Lorraine? I feel that there may have been something or someone attached to the mask that was purchased for you at the garage sale. Often times (after learning about that possibility) if I bring something into my home that had previous owners, I will leave it out of doors for a day or two (even if it is out in the ice house) and sprinkle a bit of salt onto it.
After the cleansing of the item, I will bring it indoors. I just do not want to risk bringing someone home that truly does not need to be here.
I think that the ONE ghost in your home was released when the mask was burned. GO MAMA! Way to take back the control!
Thank you.
Harperllen82 (1 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-05)
Hi Upsidepout,
i really enjoyed your story. Your very discriptive. I agree with Chris and Flutter, I too sense that there may be two entitys I your home. One that obviously is not sitting well with your lump of a dog. You said that your mother got the mask at a yard sale, maybe it had something attatched to it. Its possible that the "good" spirit was already in your house, but saw no need to make itself known until this evil entity was brought in. It seems that the one spirit is protective of you. I hope your experience with the unpleasent ghost is over now that the mask is gone. I am no expert, but you can indeed learn a lot from this website and the experienced posters on here. I know I have. Take Care! 😁
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-05)
I have heard of this happening with african or asian masks that represent some god or godess or demon in that culture. I wouldn't keep anything that gave me a bad vibe much less hearing sounds eminating from it's source.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-05)
I agree with ChrisB, that there were two entities in your home. Your dads friend, did you ever ask him why, he thought it had something to do with the Mask? If would of been interesting to see, what he said about it.
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-05)
How terrifying for you! It must have given you some comfort though knowing that your Mom had some experiences as well. Maybe comfort isn't the word, but more that then you at least knew you weren't imagining things.

Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer ❤
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
Upsideout,
(Cute name)
I enjoyed your story very much! I love the way you added comedy, your last sentencs had me laughing, also about your dogs guarding abilities. Such is the life of a dog, huh?

As nothing has happened in some time, I wonder if it was the mask? It certainly sounded like it had a profound affect on the animal that did nothing. I am curious, I wonder why your dads friend immediatley thought of masks? That is bizzare.

God Bless! 😊
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
Hi Upsideout. That was a very interesting story. I think there might have been a ghost in your house. Maybe even a couple of ghost. I sence there is a good ghost and an evil one. I don't know why but I just have a feeling. Things mabe have died down because they might have crossed over. Thanks for sharring your story with us. I hope to hear from you soonand take care

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: