You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: The Occult Adventurer: Why I Do What I Do

Real Ghost Stories

The Occult Adventurer: Why I Do What I Do

 

The home at Brougham Way is a strange home. When HPI (Haunted and Paranormal Investigations International) got wind of it, Shannon sent out two teams of seasoned investigators that retrieved 8 EVPs from this home. Shannon also sent me to do a second preliminary with two other seasoned investigators. The second investigation resulted with no EVPs and no photographic evidence. The occupant asked if I could have a Scouting Mission at her home, with ghosthunters-in-training. I ran it by Shannon and she said "why not?" I told Shan, since the place is not haunted, it will be fun for the newbies to experiment in scouting a private residence. Shan told me, that the place is haunted, because the first preliminary investigation resulted with 8 EVPs captured at the residence. I didn't know about the first preliminary investigation, nor did I know about the 8 EVPs. I was surprised.

When I did have a Scouting Mission at this residence, we conducted a seance that produced amazing results. Results that stunned 15 newbies with the sounds of a little girl giggling and saying "hi", something that we could all hear with our own ears. The sounds of the wall echoing with a ripping effect, and later a series of knocks on the wall. Something that we could all hear and we all witnessed. A seance that was so frightening to the newbies, that many broke the circle, some were crying and many who did not want to continue with the seance.

On March 29, 2008, Saturday. 2100 hours. Seasoned paranormal investigators arrived to the Brougham Residence. They were: Shannon McCabe, Paul Dale Roberts, Chris Grissom, Jennifer Baca, Tim Hawkins, John Wachter, Michele Paykel, Angela Kesti, Donna Reynolds, Kristen Sheley, Michelle Stump. We were equipped with all kinds of ghost hunting equipment, such as temperature gauges, EVP Readers, numerous video cameras, digital cameras, dowsing rods, digital audio recorders, Listen Up Sound Enhancers. We were prepared to document the events of the second seance.

After I briefed all of the investigators on what occurred during the first seance, we prepared to conduct three seance sessions in 2 rooms that seem to have the most activity. I was completely jazzed after the briefing thinking that what occurred at the first seance, will happen again and this time we will have video evidence of what transpires. One of the reasons why I do what I do, is because it's my 'high'. I get an adrenaline rush when I witness true paranormal activity. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does and I can witness the events with my own senses and not just with machines, is the ultimate 'high'.

On this night the three sessions of the seance were conducted. It is said that the former owner, a man named Harold, haunts this home, also a little girl (name unknown). During the seance session, we talked with the little girl first and at some point the walkie talkie turned on and we could hear a little girl saying "la, la, la, la" during the first transmission. Then the second transmission, she repeats herself. There were 6 walkie talkies in the bedroom, all placed on the same channel according to Chris Grissom, and only one walkie talkie had the voice of a little girl. During the time the walkie talkie turned on by itself, John Wachter was feeling something near him or on him. The temperature gauges that were pointed towards John indicated a cold spot. Jennifer saw what appeared to be a small shadow move along the wall. Michelle Stump felt a cold spot in the hallway. Shannon watched the TV monitors and discovered some unusual orb activity.

With three sessions of seances that began at 2100 hours and ended at 0100 hours, it was time to call it a night. I decided to stay the night in the most haunted room. With the video camera running and recording my sleep session, I later learned nothing of significance happened during the whole night I stayed in that room. I was disappointed that more didn't happen. My adrenaline had run down to an all time low.

What keeps me going with these investigations is that I know the afterlife exists, I experienced the paranormal with my own senses, I have no doubt that the paranormal is all around us. If I hadn't experienced the paranormal, I would have quit the ghost writing business a long time ago and moved on or reinvent myself to some other persona. What keeps me going is the adventure.

I have always been an adventurer. It's probably because I am the direct descendent of Captain Bartholomew 'Black Bart' Roberts, a Welch pirate. Adventure runs in my DNA. That is probably why I worked with US Army's C.I.D. (Criminal Investigation Division) in Germany and became so prolific with my busts, the lead special agent would tell me "Porkchops (my code name), you are a legend". With trench coat, sunglasses, long hair, beard and a packed .45, I went throughout Germany busting the bad guys. Working undercover, pretending I was a former soldier that was now a major drug dealer and sometimes a pimp.

I joined the Army twice, once in 1973 and the next time around in 1979, in which I joined Military Intelligence, with another code name 'Hollywood'. During my break in between Army tours, I was a professional dancer, that once danced 205 hours, with 5 minute breaks on every hour for the Guinness Book of World Records. I also was a firefighter for a while. Yes, I sought out adventure and I had the energy for it. To be a good ghost hunter and ghostwriter, you must have four ingredients, they are: energy, being fearless, being adventurous and being prolific. Most writers will spend a couple of weeks on one article. I whip out articles in perhaps 2 or 3 hours, being prolific with my writings and getting out the information as quickly as possible.

Since I have experienced the paranormal, I keep seeking it out for that adrenaline rush. I head out to every location, with fast music resonating throughout my car the 'Ghost Tracker'. I never listen to slow, dull music, it must always be upbeat and fast. It gets me pumped for the night!

I left the Brougham residence in Citrus Heights and headed to Stockton, CA. I had Rick James' Gold Album blasting fast tunes to keep me pumped up as I headed to a location in Stockton to interview a lady that witnessed a doppelganger. To be a successful ghostwriter, you can't be shy, you have to confront people in the street, you must engage them to get the story. At times, I am somewhat of a maverick, but Shannon keeps me on the straight and narrow.

When I first met Shan, I learned she had a very diverse background also, she was a woman that sought out adventure and her life story compares close to my life story. We were two peas in a pod and now we pump out the investigations and we pump out the stories!

Shan has touched the edge-of-fame and so have I. Shan with her singing career and I, with my former dancing career. Shannon and I are currently working on a T.V. Show called "Ghost Girls" with Nancy Bradley, the Celebrities Psychic, and Shan has appeared on Nash Bridges, and Tylenol commercial. All the while, I was participating in dancing movies like Rollerboogie and Skatetown USA. Shan has reinvented herself and so have I many times over. I have reinvented myself from military undercover cop to firefighter to professional dancer to military intelligence to OPFOR Army instructor to Governor's Office of Emergency Services to comic book critic to freelance journalist to Ghost hunter/Ghostwriter.

The natural adrenaline rush of any adventure is experiencing life to the maximum, that is why I probably parachuted from a plane once, took flying lessons for a Cessna airplane and later a helicopter, para-sailed in Thailand or rappelled down the Moaning Caverns. I seek out the thrill of the rush. I never thought ghost hunting would pump me up, but like I said when you experience the paranormal firsthand, the excitement is hard to contain.

The disappointment is also hard for me to contain and when this second seance didn't produce the results I wanted, I felt let down by the ghosts of this house. Perhaps Michelle Stump's theory is correct, she believes that since the newbies did the first seance, their fear was an exhilarating energy for the entities to feed on. When the seasoned investigators participated in the second seance, there was no more fear to feed on and nothing resulted because of that. Who knows why ghosts do what they do?

Most seasoned investigators are fearless when it comes to the unknown and everyone in this HPI group is fearless. There are so many possibilities to dwell on, I wouldn't know what theory would be more feasible. But, I must admit I favor Michelle's theory.

Chris Grissom one of the lead investigators, during our break session from the seance, described what happened to him recently on a lone wolf scouting mission to a haunted warehouse. While in the warehouse, he saw a black dark mass by some pallets. He watched the black mass dart swiftly through the door and heard the door slam violently. The door never opened, nor did it close. This was his first time witnessing the paranormal with his own eyes. When he first told me the story, you could feel his adrenaline rush from this experience. That is exactly what I am talking about.

When I left the Brougham residence, I headed over to Stockton to meet Eissu Gown at Starbucks. My interview with Eissu was amazing, she is the first person I ever interviewed that described her encounter with a doppelganger. She was at an airport, ready to catch a plane, when she was confronted by a person that looked exactly like her. This doppelganger that caught her eye vanished into the crowd and it left her feeling odd and strange. While she was surprised to see her double, her double didn't act surprised, but merely looked at her with a glazed look. This was Eissu's only encounter with the paranormal, but it is an encounter she will never forget.

Well, now that you know why I do what I do, if I had never experienced anything paranormal, I would have left this business a long time ago, but after 80 plus investigations and experiencing something significant three times, where my own senses were involved, I keep going and going and going, like the Eveready Bunny.

Now as I close this article, let's see what Shan's findings and conclusion is on the investigation and seance session on Brougham Way. Shan take it away!

SHANNON'S FINDINGS: We got some orb activity on my video camera. My camera, Sony 30GB IR, NEVER picks up orbs. We got 1 EVP from the walkie talkie, but we need to really analyze it first.

SHANNON'S CONCLUSION: This house is haunted. We have numerous EVP's from prior investigations, and some interesting evidence on www.HPIparanormal.net. You can find the investigation under "Home in Citrus Heights" I just wish it would have been a little bit more exciting when we were there, I've heard so many stories! I wanted to really experience the walls ripping apart for myself!

Paul Dale Roberts, HPI Paranormal Investigative Reporter, Ghost Hunter

WPRT Paranormal Radio - Content Editor

Email: JazmaPika@cs.com

www.HPIparanormal.net

Paranormal Cellular Hotline: 916 203 7503 (for comments on this story).

If you have a possible investigation call: 1-888-709-4HPI

Copyright

Other hauntings by PaulDaleRoberts

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, PaulDaleRoberts, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+3
16 years ago (2008-07-24)
I myself am not a fan of this guy. Actually, concerning his military greatness, I read a bio on him that stated his intellegance gathering work subsisted mainly of dressing up as bad guys and pretending to be a Russian or what have you so as to be a teaching tool for others (I did not write this bio... But read it on a site promoting Paul).
Having been in the Marines, I thought his mentioning of all this was tasteless and a bit off.
I find most of his stories are less prolific than they are drenched with too much detail (who cares if you had coffe at Starbucks?).
Sorry if I am being mean, but whenever I see this guy's name, I skip the story.
And I really had to roll my eyes when he let us know what a fine swashbuckler he be (arrrrr).
huendchen (49 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-09)
Why don't people on here stop telling others what NOT to say - if people want to say something, let them say it! Stop being so sensitive and PC, it's annoying!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-08)
Greetings Paul!
Thank you for another well written account. Many of your points make sense, and I do so enjoy reading about the adventures of you and your crew. I like to read of others findings and their conclusions, as some of their ideas make me think through some more questions.
I must have gotten here after some changes were made to it, as it does not NOW sound too promotional.
Thank you
HauteCouture (2 stories) (18 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-06)
The title of the story is, "Why I Do What I Do" and the story is about just that. In this story Paul tells us why he does what he does and uses an experience as an example of getting his feelings across. I don't think this was suposed to be of an actual event, but of the excitement and dissapointment he experiences when he is doing what he does.
😊 ❤
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-05)
I guess I'm just jealous. I don't have that kind of personality. I know there are people who have lead these kind of lives but I dont' know any of them just what I have read in spy and espionage books. Most of us are just average joes. I do think ghost hunters get a rush from evidence linking to the paranormal. They are on a search too. While I have never seen much in the way of the paranormal I do believe it exists.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-05)
[at] Paul, although it was quite long, I did enjoy the story. I wish there would of been some pics, along with this would of liked to seen them.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-05)
There are many stories that are written, not only on this site but the other two that I don't believe are true either.

But when I state my point in this, not believing a storey to be true,it's in a tasteful way, not down right rude about it.

If one can't state the fact they don't like the story because of this or that. And you feel your going to be rude about the remark, then don't even waste your time to write a rude remark, to anyone on there story. And I am speaking mainly [at] not_scared_anymore.
That was uncalled for, your remark to this story.
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-04)
It was a great read once again,Paul. I really enjoy your stories and will look forward to more. For the newbie/naysayers...I suggest you read ALL of, Pauls stories before you throw out callous comments. He knows his SH**, obviously.
Should most of you experience what he has you probably would run. 😉
twister1966 (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-04)
Gee, when you are through cleaning Irene's house, you might still have enough energy to clean mine 😊 The story started out interesting, but was waaaay too long, and waaaaay to thinned out, to hold my attention long. Next time you might stick to the basic facts, it would be much better reading, and much more believable.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-04)
Ohiowatha has made some valid points about Paul's stories. While he chooses not to read them, I on the other choose to read the investigation parts of his stories. He does belong to a legitimate paranormal group and bears listening to. While it annoys me with his advertisements, the emails and contacts are extremely useful to someone with a problem. All in all I would rather read about Paul's investigations than the campfire tales and b-class horror movie outtakes that we have been subjected to lately.

FRAWIN 😊
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-04)
Paul's submissions are sometimes interesting in their scope and scientific method, but the format is indeed confusing. The stories ramble quite a bit and are a little self-indulgent because they often relate more about the writer and his colleagues' than the actual evidence of investigation. Personally, I don't read these anymore because of that. If you have nothing nice to say, however, I suggest you, like me, simply not read these accounts. No need for insults, guys! 😁
MFD (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-04)
I agree with Kim, although we may not always agree or believe with what's shared on this site, it does not warrant insults or ridicule.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
-1
16 years ago (2008-04-04)
Not_scared_anymore,

Are insults and sarcasm needed? I don't think so. I do not see you putting you self out there with a bio, gee from what we read regarding your comments, one might think you are a snot nose, spoiled, smart mouth teen age punk, but, then again... You have not put yourself out there for a judgement to be made. My suggestion is to BACK OFF!

God Bless!
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
I asked Paul if I could cut the promotional material... It's just not very relevant to this site.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
Paul,
I appreciatte your taking the time to discuss yet another fascinating investigation with us.

I enjoyed tyhe back ground into this article. It makes it easier to see and know where you are cming from when reading your stories!

Thanks!
God Bless!
maki047 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
I was almost convinced about the whole adventurous life you're telling us, but aren't you supposed to keep your codename to yourself? And yeah, the whole story is a little mixed up... With all the advertisements and all. I don't know, maybe I'm just not a good reader. 😕
nigheanruadh (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
I have to agree with irene and marine556... I found this rather confusing to read since the small bits of actual paranormal accounts were mixed into a whole pile of random advertisements and personal info not really related to the actual accounts... Unless I completely missed how paranormal comic books were related to the seance investigations going on... 😕
irene (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
phewwwwwwwww...i'm wiped out from reading all this... Wanna come over and clean my house with all that 'abundent' energy?
marine556 (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
Dancer, firefighter, ghost hunter, and military intellagence that talks about his code name? I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt but this time it's pretty dang hard 😐
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
Another great Investigation Paul. There for sure was a lot of activity. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Not_scared_anymore (1 stories) (31 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
you live in some fantasy world dude... 😕

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: