You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Final Goodbye from Grandpa

Real Ghost Stories

Final Goodbye from Grandpa

 

I really have enjoyed this site, and has inspired me to write about my experiences. I have many stories, but this one is my favorite. It happened in Phoenix, AZ. I'll give a bit of background first. My grandpa was an amazing man. He was born in 1912 in Grand Junction, Colorado. He met my Grandma there and they were married in 1937.

They moved to Prescott, AZ due to work, and lived there for years. In the mid 40's, then moved to Phoenix, and have remained here since. He was a good man, always followed the rules and was both hated and loved for it. Unfortunately, he was a smoker most of his life (I am too... I know, dumb).

So, as the years went on, his health began to fail. He was diagnosed with emphysema in the late '70s. I was adopted in 1984 by my parents, and was brought to my grandparents house. I was his favorite (being the youngest, and a girl!) He was on oxygen the rest of his life, and I cherish the memories I had with him. He was in and out of the hospital in the late '80s for complications due to his condition. He passed away on September 17th, 1990. Now to the story.

The last time I saw him was the previous evening. We were all visiting him in his hospital room, talking and I'm sure the adults were speaking of things that a 6 year old was unaware of. I was allowed to feed him that night, and he told me "Slow down! You're feeding me too fast!" We eventually went home, and I was sent to bed.

The middle of the night, I was awakened to someone sitting on my bed. I was fully awake and sat up. There, sitting on the edge of my bed was my Grandpa, I remember he looked kind of ethereal, and had a glow about him. He didn't have any oxygen on. I asked him why he was there. He just smiled and patted my head. I felt calm (usually I am terrified when these things happen). I laid back down and went back to sleep.

The next morning, my mother came into my room and told me that Grandpa had died last night at 2:30am. I told her what happened, and she started to cry. I, to this day, am blessed that he chose to say goodbye to me that night. I miss him so much and wish that I'd have known him better.

Thanks for reading my story, and trust me, I have many more to come as I have experienced the paranormal from a very young age. Hope you enjoyed.

Other hauntings by megalie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, megalie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rajiv (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-23)
you should considered that you are lucky.
He blessed you and will also guard you all life... Although hez unseen to you all times, he is with you... Feel him, pray him.
Have a good day
Becky (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-04)
Thank you for sharing this. I too have a similar story of my grandpa. Your story has inspired me to write about it. I have talked about it for years. Thank you again.
megalie (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-12)
I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind words. He really was an amazing man, and I still feel him in my Gramma's house.
I will be posting more stories, sorry that I haven't been able to lately, work has been crazy
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-10)
This was a beautiful story, megalie.
Thank you so much for sharing a story that seems to still be so close to your heart. I enjoy reading the stories that do not have the hair on the back of my arms standing on end, and this one was so filled with love.
I have said it before, and this will probably not be the last time I put it in print. Love bonds are just as strong, if not stronger than those formed out of blood.
Thank you.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-09)
I'm terribly sorry for your loss megalie. I 'm certain your grandpa loved you too much to leave without seeing you once again and saying goodbye. Try to see his last visit as a blessing and a silent promise that he'll always watch your every step.

May his soul rest in peace.

Tammy ❤
littlelaura33 (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-08)
Wow. What an amazing and moving story. This is the first time I have posted anything so it has been so interesting reading your experience. Nothing more heartfelt could of happened between you and your Grandpa. I think it was a lovely thing to do for you because you were so young. Hope to hear from you soon and keep your Grandpa near you always xxx 😭 ❤ 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-08)
I am very sorry for your loss. It is not the length of time we have to get to know an individual, it is the quality we put into that relationship. He sounds like a wonderful man!

I find it amazing, beautifula and conforting to know that our dear loved ones will (and do) find a way to comfort us in the end. They are making the journey, yet their love for us is still there and paramount in importance to them that they do not want for us to worry about them.

This was a beautiful and heart felt story, thank you for sharing it with me!

I look forward to hearing more stories from your occurances!

God Bless!
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
A beautiful story. I'm sorry for your loss and I'm sure he's in a better place.
Thanks for sharing, at least you had a chance to see him one last time.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
Hi mealie. I am very sorry for your loss. I believe that you witnessed a miracle. Your grandfather came and said goobye to you. I know that the word miracle is not the right word because he passed away. But the miracle is that he has gone to a better place and chose you to see it. I bet he loved you so very much. Being part of this is a miracle. I liked reading your story and I hope you share the other ones soo. I now know why this is your best story. Nothing better could have happened in this story. A loved ones says goodbye. I hope to hear from you soon and take care

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: