You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ghost Cottages in Belfast

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Cottages in Belfast

 

My mother experienced this event when she was 14 years of age and she wrote it in her diary the same day as it occurred so this is an accurate account. On St James' street in Belfast, N.Ireland on 14th June 1970 at approximately 2pm my mother and her sister boarded a bus which followed a route from the suburban area of Belfast in towards the centre of the city and back again.

The pair of siblings boarded the bus that morning on its return journey. They had just been on a shopping trip and each had heavy bags of items and they were in a reasonably good mood.

The bus made an uneventful return journey to the suburbs of Belfast ahead of schedule so they decided to exit the bus early and enter a shopping centre called the Park Centre and purchase ice cream.

The street leading toward the shopping centre was a busy main street with heavy traffic and large numbers of pedestrians. Half way down the road were two warehouses with peculiarly large amount of space between them but when the pair of siblings drew level with the warehouses they noticed that the space was no longer empty. There was a straight line of wooden rubble beginning at the wall of one of the warehouses and ending at the wall of the other. In the very centre stood a battered wooden cottage which was filthy and with jagged holes in the roof and dried moss coated the wooden walls which my mother touched and it came off as green powder on the palm of her hand.

They passed a small window which was set in a rotting wooden frame. An elderly woman was wiping the glass with a cloth and as they passed she opened the window and greeted them casually. They responded politely and walked on. My mother wandered if she had just imagined the space between the warehouses but her sister asked where the battered cottages had come from. She was considerably disturbed by this unexplainable event and she tried in vain to figure it out.

They continued down the road and entered the shopping centre and she pushed the thought of the cottages out of her mind.

They passed the site of the cottages on their way back from the shopping centre. The cottages were not there. The site was bare and empty as it usually was. They were confused and frightened; they hastened home to tell their parents but they did not believe them. They have not seen the cottages ever since.

My mother and I visited the site recently but over the thirty eight years which had passed since the incident, the warehouses had been demolished and houses built on the site.

Other hauntings by Niall

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Niall, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AussieRedDog (25 stories) (82 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-20)
Just being talking to my mum about this. She agreed with jakebt12 that you got the street mixed up. It was St James' Road and there was St Katherine Road. The factory you referred to was the old match factory as far as St Katherine Road and Adams' Ware-room/ware-house. It brought memeories to her. Behind the warehouses is the bog meadows but not a bad story.
jakebt12 (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
Hello Niall I get the feeling you don't live in belfast any more, the main street they where in wasn't st james st as there is no st by that name, the nearest is st james road, back in 1970 that area was covered by the belfast celtic football club and dog racing track, this was later sold to larry dunne of dunne store fame, hence the name park centre in memory belfast celtic, the park centre wasn't built until the eighties, the only other large building near that was across the donegal road facing the park centre it was maguire [at] pattersons match factory it was destroyed in rioting around late 70/71, it then later was bought up by stewerts and opened as west side sams in competition to the park centre, there where no other large buildings on either side of the donegal road until it reached the falls about 150 yrds up the hill, maybe you have your years mixed up.
mac (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-30)
Niall, that's an interesting story, I have lived in Belfast all my life and was just wondering if your mum and auntie also entered a ghostly Park center in 1970, if my memory serves me correct Park center wasn't built until the early eighties. Mac 😕
Niall (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-12)
I am very pleased that my story has achieved this level of comments. Thank you to all who took the time to read and post comments.

To Weechipmunk:I also used to go to the Park Centre every weekend with my parents when I was younger and lived in Belfast, I have not been in the place in years. I now know the warehouses were demolished the same year as the incident ossurred, my mum does not know what they were used for though.

😆 😆
Weechipmonk (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-12)
What a great experience! What makes it even better is the fact that I'm from belfast and know that area. (Used to go to the park centre every other weekend with my parents when I was younger). Unfortunately the warehouses were gone a long time before I ever came on the scene 😢
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-10)
I actually had a similar experience, that as of yet has not been completely explained to me, Niall. The story is posted to this site, and is entitled "Strange Conversation in Jennisons Cemetary". While I would like to think that it was a residual haunting, just as in your mothers experience, I had a conversation with someone. Which, of course, cancels out the prospect of residual.
I would love to be able to tell you that it was a ripple in time that both your mother and her sibling, as well as myself, just "tripped over", but I honestly do not have any kind of concrete proof.
Thank you.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-09)
Great story coming from a country with so much history! Nice to have you with us Niall. I'll be looking forward to more stories from you.

Tammy 😊
mauzie (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-08)
Hey Niall, I was drawn to this story because of the title! It was really really interesting. Sounds like they stepped back in time for a moment! And I agree with the other posters, Ireland has a rich history of happenings because of our past and the sheer fact that we are an old state (in the good way, not a state as in a mess, hehe, know you get me!) , Thanks for sharing! 😉
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-08)
Hi Niall! I can't wait until you post the other stories. I find them very good and I can't wait until you post the next ones soon. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
Now, That's a type of ghost story you don't hear everyday! Thanks for sharing, it was very interesting.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
Niall,
I have heard that many, many parts of Ireland are rich with history. I very much enjoyed this tale and wonder what (and when) thsoe cotages had exisited. How fascinating. WOuld you have any idea as to the history of that area, prior to the ware houses?

I would love to hear more of the stories you had indicated! I do love hearing stories rich in history!

God Bless!
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
Oh I wonder if any of the houses built in the place have hauntings! I enjoyed your story! I hope to hear more accounts!
missydee (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
Hi Niall,
That was a very interesting story. I hope you have more to share. 😊
Niall (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
My mum has had many weird experiences I may submit later.

To Pixiemel: Thanks for the compliment, it was appreciated.
Sorcha (59 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
What a strange event for your Mom and Aunt to experience! Thank you for posting your Mom's story! I enjoyed reading it.

Yay another Irish story! 😉 😊
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
That was a vey interesting story. I have heard of this but I don't know were. I believe this is possible and I believe this story to be true. I really liked it and found it very interesting. I bet your mother was very shocked. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Pixiemel (20 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
i have to congratulate the use of vocabulary! A very nice story thank you for sharing!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: