You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Mommy Ego

Real Ghost Stories

Mommy Ego

 

I grew up in a town called Austin, when I was a kid my aunt used to watch me after school along with her son and my little brother. We were the typical trouble making kids who always went out on our little adventures but there was something horribly wrong with not just my aunts house, but the whole neighborhood. I remember this like it happened earlier today and I will never forget the things that happened to us back then.

The start of everything was my younger cousin mike telling me and my little brother about this woman he called "mommy ego" and how she would follow him wherever we went, I used to think it was all made up and that he just wanted attention. One day we were all watching TV after school, my aunt had gone out to do something, she was super proactive in the schools and all. A commercial for one of those sink attachable water filters came on and a woman asked "would you like a refreshing glass of water?" as soon as that question had been asked, every sink in the house turned on all the way, cupboards flung open and that was it.

Needless to say we were totally bewildered, mike just sat there like it was nothing out of the ordinary. I got up and turned the sink off in the kitchen, walked into the bathroom to turn the sink off in there too. When I looked up I noticed the small barred window, there were snakes (at least 10) winding around the bars, sliding up the glass as if they were trying to get in. I freaked out and called mikes dad. He told us to stay inside as he went to the side of the house with a garden hoe and killed the snakes. Eventually my mom came over to pick me and my brother up and that was the end of the day.

Sometime later, the 3 of us were out and about in the neighborhood, exploring the creek that was near by. One of our favorite places to go was the bridge that crossed over the creek, there were dozens of mexican free tail bats that lived under there and it was fun for us to go down there and try and look at them. The smell was horrible, as we slid down the cement drainage ramp down into the clearing the water makes when the creek floods, we saw something dart off into some of the bushes on the other side of the bridge (under where all the bats were), we were curious so we ran along the water line under the bridge, terrified that a bat would bite one of us so we were definitely in a hurry.

As we went further down the creek into a brushy area that seemed very out of sight from the road, we noticed something in the water. It was a dead lamb, well the skeleton of one anyway... Inside its ribcage there was a snake coiled up under water, it was so strange. We freaked out and ran back home.

This is where it starts to get serious. One weekend we had come over to spend the night, mikes older sisters were in charge of baby sitting us, we were in the age area of about 11-13. Everything was normal until around bedtime. Mike said something about "mommy ego" being mad at him. We shrugged it off as usual. At about 2am we heard a scratching noise from the other side of the bedroom door. They were very slow and deep sounding. We were all huddled up in the same room on some bunk beds, when the scratching noises started getting louder we all got up on the top bunk together. The scratching stopped and for a minute I was relieved until we heard the soft voice of a woman, it was distorted and hard to understand what she was saying, it almost sounded like she was singing a lullaby. We were dead quiet trying to listen to what was happening with the occasional whisper from one of us asking "what did she say?" or something like that.

The cabinets in the kitchen started opening in closing, we could hear the dishes falling to the floor and then we suddenly heard mike sisters screaming, we all ran out of his room across the hall into his sisters' room where they were both hiding in bed. At this point we were all scared and didn't know what to do. The closet doors in the bedrooms started opening and closing over and over just like the cabinets in the kitchen were, the lights were blinking on and off, along with the tvs, the water turning on and off and everything seemed to be out of control.

Since the doors in the girls room were being insane we didn't stay in there long, we all ran into the living room, we were all terrified. We all got on the couch together, threw blankets over our heads and just sat there. All the door slamming and what not stopped, it was somewhat quiet again so we got up and looked around as a group. Mikes bedroom door had deep gashes in it, like someone had taken a chisel to it and carved out the door along the grain, wood chips were everywhere. They were long flimsy strips of wood at least a foot long, it was unexplainable. The house was a total wreck from things falling out of cabinets, and off shelves, however, we came to notice nothing in mikes room had moved an inch save the carvings into the door, so we all piled up in there for the night.

Before we got ready to try and go back to sleep we decided to let the dog in to "protect" us, her name was lucky, she was a big white lab. We locked ourselves in mikes room and just as we were settling down with some movie on his little TV the power went out. Everything was quiet again. We heard the woman's voice coming from outside the door accompanied by what sounded like foot steps, every so often we would hear a thump, getting louder and louder as it got closer to the outside of the bedroom. Terrified we all sat curled up side by side watching the door. The scratching started briefly then stopped. Lucky started to wimper and she crawled under the bed which did nothing to boost our confidence. The door knob started to jiggle gently and then more violently in what seemed to be frustration, something started pounding on the other side of the door as the door knob shook more and more. Suddenly the door flung wide open, so hard the door knob punched a hole in the wall, then everything was still. It had stopped.

We all said a prayer, closed the door and eventually fell back asleep. This was not the only incident at this house OR one of the areas in the surrounding neighborhood. Frankly I get the chills recalling the memories, and writing them creeps me out. I enjoy hearing other experiences knowing I'm not totally insane.

We got blamed by her parents for what had happened to the house, and to this day that house still gets brought up every now and then when we see each other. I have many other stories about what has happened in that area as well as some of the other places I have visited. I recently went back (as an adult) to revisit my childhood stomping grounds. No one lives in that house and it looks just as demented and creepy as it did back then. I revisited the creek, the bridge, and some other places that I will write about later.

Maybe ill write about my reunion with that place next time, but for now I can surely say that the eerie feeling I get when I'm there hasn't changed a bit.

Other hauntings by Warblaze

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Warblaze, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Esmeralda (19 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-26)
I love this story so much I read it every time I see it. I never get tired of this or the other two you posted.
Nerd_Girl (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-24)
I think I know the area that you're talking about...maybe. Is it in Pflugerville, or near there? I know my grandmother lives in a neighborhood there (Bluebonnet something), and we always take Slaughterhouse to get there.
Warblaze (6 stories) (21 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-26)
Sorry I have been gone so long guys sorta forgot about the site for a while. A lot of people ask me how I can just "go to sleep" after something paranormal happens. To be honest I don't really remember the details of cowering under the covers. What sticks out in my mind and knowing how I percieved things at that age, it was like an adventure to me. I was scared of what might happen but at the same time I kind of enjoyed the sense of uncertainty and the opportunity to see something happen out of the ordinary.

Yes these events were traumatic and to this day just recounting those thoughts gives me the chills but I don't remember the parts about being scared, and from a writers standpoint the details about how each day ended gets redundant, I just wrote about all the occurances and if I lacked transitioning words I'm sorry =)
Unreal (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-29)
She didn't call me nathaniel she called me chuck that's why I always told yall that chucky did this or chucky did that. The reason my dad knew we were telling the truth was because shiat happened to him. Also before we ran out of the house we went back in for a second look and you told me to throw somthing at it and screwed me out my popsicle then I went to tell my mom that mommy ego was after us but she was at Evans house across the street. That moan still haunts me today.
Undying (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-24)
wow that is on strange story dude one strange story
< (-.-< (>-.-) > ^ (-.-) ^ v (-.-) v but cool
muahh (53 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-04)
poor Mike... Mommy ego decides to adopt him. I don't think ill ever be used to that kind of thing like Mike did...

Great story! Keep safe!

❤ muahh
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
Warblaze, now would be a good time to submit your post as a story, I think something this long would deserve its own page.
Chrono (2 stories) (41 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-10)
Scary, loved it! You are a great writer, thank you for sharing!
Take care!
😳
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-10)
Thank you for sharing your first story with the site, Warblaze.
Your story and your comments have answered all of my questions. Thank you for being so thorough.
Again, Thank you.
GhostGal (6 stories) (104 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-10)
😨 scary! Scary! 😨 it reminds me of 1 of my nightmares! I was in big house, and someone kept yelling out my name "Mel' Ann Wolf" over and over! I was sooo scared! I woke up and right when I woke up, I heard it one more time, "Mel' ann wolf..."i screamed loud and ran into my parent's room. They kept saying it was just a bad dream. But a "bad dream" is not enough to explain y I heard my name AFTER I woke up... Ugh... Reaidng your story just brings back that horrible night... 😭
rezeoth (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-09)
alright first off I was a little distracted I was watching a haunting (c) but I read the whole thing and man that was freaky but the funny part of it is that when you said that your aunt was proactive about school I watched a proactiv commercial (c) 😕
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-09)
Very-very scary story and an even scarier place to live! Thanks for posting.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-09)
Thanks Warblaze for posting a story here. I find you to be an amazing writter. While I was reading I could imagine everything you were writing about. I find that to be a great talent. I can wait until you post about the reunion. I find your stories to be great and I can't wait to read more of them. I found it odd that your uncle knew something was going on in the house and never told you guys. But again you were then to young. Has he now told you what he had encountered? I think Martin will enable the story processing soon. There are to many stories comeing through that he doesn't have time to publish them. That what I think. But for sure when he see your reunion story he will place it. I find your stories to be GREAT! Keep them coming. I hope to hear from you soon and take care 😁
Warblaze (6 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-08)
Ok so I went to try and submit another story but its been disabled. So Ill post it as a reply to the first one.

Ok so as you all know, something is a little off with this house. A lot of people asked about the parents. Like I said in the story above, we had been blamed for a lot of what happened in the house. My aunt Nancy has an Autistic son who is the oldest and keeps to himself, 2 daughters, amy and vivian, and her youngest son is mike. They had a white lab named Lucky, and Nancy's husband's name is Bubba

The area they live in is on what used to be the outskirts of Austin Texas, the city has expanded exponentially in the past 10 years. Based on bits and pieces of research I have done, the area had been inhabited by the Tonkawa tribe, spaniards in search of gold from Mexico city, as well as some of the early settlers from around the time Texas gained its independance. Based on the fact that this neighborhood sits on the edwards aquifer, with Dittmar Creek running through it, my guess is that it was a popular area to settle in no matter who you are. Lots of trees, water and what seems to still be small chunks of farm land hidden off in the bushes even to this day.

My aunt told me herself that while she was out in the yard gardening, she could have sworn she saw a woman in some pilgrim syled clothing, it was blue with white lace edging, and she was riding in a carriage down the street when she suddenly fadded and vanished after turning her head to look at my aunt. Now my aunt is a devout Mormon and will make up every excuse in the book to deny what she saw was a ghost, shes even gone so far as to say it was a holy spirit watching over her house. Her son mike, who is now 19 will still argue with her, explaining that was Mommy Ego.

Mommy Ego, from what I have been told is the lady whos been trying to punish my cousin for something, and she doesn't call him by his name, she called him Nathaniel, so I think it would be safe to assume that she thinks Mike is her son.

Strange people have always lived in the area, some natural gas lines run through a certain part of the neighborhood and we used to walk it because it was all cleared out and the grass was kept under control, it was our little shortcut home from school. There was a woman who was rumored to be a gypsy, as well as an old old man who would turn up in the most oddball places and the strangest times. Whenever we would ask him what he was doing he would get angry and threaten to shoot us if we didn't leave him be.

I will go into more depth on all of this when posting is enabled, I'm just trying to set the scene for everyone and give you all some of the details.

There was a hill on the other side of the bridge I mentioned that goes over the creek and has bats under it... The top of the hill has an old rickety gate, and fence posts made out of actual tree branches. The area looks like some sort of horse ranch. In Austin there are Texas Live Oaks EVERYWHERE... Well on this property is a massive oak tree with about 4 gallows set up around it. The funny thing about this place now that I mention it, is the name of a main road that passes through the area, One road is called "Convict Hill" and another is called "Slaughter Lane" that actually creeps me out even more, I will be sure to research why they were given those names.

The area is old and parts over grown, it was developed in the late 60s and due to the rate at which the city is growing, it was poorly maintained. Snakes were common in the creeks and tall grasses, mostly cotton mouths, copper heads, rattlesnakes and coral snakes. You get the occasional grass snake as well.

Some odd things we found in the area include: Petrified wood, arrow heads, stones with strange etchings made in them. Dead animals all throughout the creek ranging from cats, dogs, livestock and some things I have never seen before. Not once did we find a dead or injured bat, its likeley something that small would get washed away in the creek. Same with birds and rodents. We crawled up into a brushy area once and found a small clearning with old wooden fishing poles and a mino cage sitting in the water rusting away. The are always had a feeling to it that something just wasn't right.

I think that about sums it all up. On a lighter note ill give you a quick story that scared the jeebers out of me. My aunt kept a deep freezer in the garage, and the attic entrance was in there as well. The attic had no door or later, it was just a square hole in the ceiling with edging around it and cross beams a few feet about the entrance, beyond that was pure darkness. Mike always said that's where Mommy Ego would sleep because it was always dark. Well one day we were allowed to get some push pops, the delicious orange ones. When we opened the garage we heard whispering, both of us looked up and there staring at us with malice in her eyes was a woman, her brown semi curly hair dangling down. This was one of those moments that seemed like it would never end, we were both parylized with fear. She started to moan as if she was deeply upset, the type of moan actors make when they pretend their husband is dieing in their arms, as she was moaning she started to grit her teeth and she propped herself up like she was getting ready to come down. We ran out screaming like little girls. I ran into my uncles room, apperantly he was asleep, I jumped up on the bed and landed right on his gut which did not make him happy. He let out a yell, I was so scared I didn't stop to realize it was just my uncle, I ran outside of his room out the back door and climbed up in the little fort we had built next to the swing set. My older cousins teased me for it but no matter how many times I told them to go in there and see for themselves they didn't have the guts to do it. I got in trouble for waking my uncle up like that and as he was going back to his room I saw him dead bolt the garage door, and the door knob. He had this look in his eye that a person gets when they have to deal with something they really don't want to deal with. He pushed on the door to make sure it wouldn't budge then went back into his room. He knew we werent lieing about what we saw. Mike had gone clear out the front door and accross the street where he waited for his mom to ask what the hell was goin on.

Anyway I hope this was good enough, sorry I couldn't post something more official. Next time Ill talk about my little reunion
Warblaze (6 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-08)
Well like I said it was my aunts house, she just watched us a lot after school. As to where the parents were, they had been present for a lot of the occurances as well but in this particular event they had all gone out for the night and left their 2 oldest daughters to babysit us. The younger of the 2 is 5 years older than myself. Sorry its taken so long to reply, I didn't know it got published so soon. I have tons of experiences involving this particular house but its really hard to put them all into one huge document because I sometimes leave out the details or mix the order in which the events happen which can make it hard to read. I will post again tonight, I'm not sure how long it takes exactly to get published but I'm glad you all enjoy my traumatic experiences. As for that night, when you are exhausted from being up all hours of the morning, you don't want to open the door because you fear something bad may happen, you sit there, paranoid, staring at the door waiting and eventually you succumb to sleep. I didn't mean for it to sound like everything just stopped and we said ok sleep time! Sorry for the misconception.
BabyBoo (4 stories) (25 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-08)
Frawin, Just had to comment on your comment... One thing that strikes me repeatedly when reading these stories on this wonderful site is how often people just pull the covers over their head and go to sleep! I am starting to wonder if this is some psychological defense mechanism. The "I can't deal with what is going on so I'll take a nap" mechanism. 😊

I don't doubt that these stories happened and I don't doubt that this is how some people deal with it. The human mind does a lot to protect itself. I find it very interesting.

Baby Boo ❤
Krysteen (4 stories) (24 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-08)
This is horrifying! I can't imagine not running out the door without a look back! What I find especially chilling is the name, "Mommy Ego"... Beyond creepy.
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
Warblaze,I must think that ghost of yours (maybe your cousin's).She must be angry on you and your cousin because you and your cousin must have disturb her.
Harperllen82 (1 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
My My Warblaze, that's quite a story. I got a very uneasy feeling at the parts where you heard the scratching. VERY SCARY! I'm very curious about this "mommy ego..." Did you ever find out more about her? Who she was? Why she was angry with your cousin? Did you start believeing him after this episode? It's a shame that ya'll got blamed for the mess. I am looking forward to your next story!
Allison ❤
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
Hello Warblaze. This is an amazing story and I thank you for sharing it with us. I have only one question and I'm not trying to be humorous or cynical, but how in the Sam Hill can anyone lay down and go to sleep after all this happened. I am no stranger to the paranormal as I grew up in a "HAUNTED HOUSE" and when something happened -sleep had a hard time finding me.
I did enjoy the story and as Chris has already said, welcome to the site. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
JadedDragon (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
The presence of insects or rodents is a ghost/haunting...As for snakes...Hmmm, I would at first say magic of a negetive nature...But., Hmmm,...You were all around 11-13, you three boys, Sounds like a poltergeist. The rattling about of objects, manifestation, the energy used to do all the things you described could be easily assigned to poltergeist activity. As askewd once before, do you know the history of the area? Anything stand out?
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
Warblaze,
I am echoing a question already asked, as an individual who once lived in an extremely strange house myself, where were all the adults when this horrifying experience occured?

I would love to hear about your reunion with this house. DO you have any idea as to the history of the house or the area?

I have never had enough guts for a reunion with the house I lived in, never will either. A simple drive on a road 3 or 4 blocks away is quite enough for me!

God Bless!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
This was a very scary story. I was scared just reading it. I can't imagine how you felt going through this. I think the activity there was huge. Did your aunt ever witness anything. I believe in your story and its a great stoy. Its going into my favourites. I can't wait until you post your other stories. By the way Warblaze, welcometo this site. I see that you are new to this site but not to the paranormal. I hope you share you experiences with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
HauteCouture (2 stories) (18 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
This is really scary. Where were the adults the night all of this craziness was happening, why didn't they hear anything? Did you take any pictures when you went back to visit?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: