You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Strange Whispers Calling my Name

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Whispers Calling my Name

 

This is my fist post and I am quite excited. I have had this problem for as long as I can remember and MAYBE some of you can help me out with it. I keep experiencing these strange whispers, strange because they are calling my name. I would think it is my subconscious mind playing tricks but last night something different occurred and it really scared me.

As I prepared to go to sleep, just as I linger on the brink of being asleep and being awake I hear my name being called. It has happened to me a countless number of times. Every time I experience this I become extremely tired. I am to afraid to go to sleep because I feel that whatever is calling my name will take over me. It never fails that although I am not asleep, I know this because I can look at the clock and see the time pass, I can't move.

I can't call out to anyone to help me and it feels as if I am locked in my mind. The drowsiness is so heavy and complete. I feel as if it drains all of the energy I have in me to stay awake.

Last night when this happened I thought it was just my sister talking in her sleep, because it hasn't happened to me anywhere except at my mom's house (until last night), but as soon as I had that thought, the name changed and it started saying my sister's name. It was so strange because it was like it could hear what I was thinking, and when I thought "Oh No not this", it's like I could feel its pleasure, actually feeding off of my fear. I don't know what it is but it feels really dark and evil and the only thing that seems to release me from it is calling on the name of Jesus.

Prayer doesn't even release me from it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DarkKnight, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

n3xus (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-06)
I have had hundreds maybe more than a thousand very similar experiences since I was about 18 or so (15 years now). I once believed I was going crazy, thank God I finally discovered otherwise. I tried to get out of this state using prayer as well and just the same as others have posted it does not release me. BUT I finally just let the terror go instead of fighting it and I ended up having an out of body experience. This happened a couple years after the paralysis/terror started.

Crazy to say the least.

Ever since I have tried to let this state of mind go and see where it ends... Very rarely have I had a negative experience leading from this state but one has to get passed the initial terror (it gets easier over time). I have read a dozen theories and nothing quite seems to hold much weight as to what is actually occuring. I even visited a neurologist and a dream expert. Both did not seem to wish to talk about it and pretty much just shrugged their shoulders for I had no abnormalities on my scans and it was not impacting my life nagatively so they were extremely reserved on how to answer me. Thus I have had to find my own answers.

To answer where the terror comes from I have had suspicions that IF the out of body experiences are as real as they seem then perhaps the soul is really leaving the body and the terror is the bodies natural reaction to what it might think is death... Who knows, it's just a guess and seems plausible enough for me. However considering we are talking about a state of mind that occurs usually at the end or at the beginning of sleep ANYTHING is possible for the mind can create whatever you want to believe and unless you have proof such as witnessing an event outside your body and retained memory of it then be careful to catagorize is as anything but a dream (including the feelings of terror and demons and such) no matter how consious and vigilant.

Interestingly enough during these states I have also heard my name called many many times and I certainly do not buy into peoples superstition that answering it would somehow make me ill or die or cause some terrible event. The voice is likely generated by our own brain and if perhaps it is external consider why a "spirit" or being would be calling you. A trick? Not likely... I do not believe in demons and hags and all that (or try not to anyways...), but if they truely exist I would say that humans do far more damage to ourselves than they could ever hope to by simply believing in all the crap others fill us with. As far as the calling of my name I ALWAYS answer and try to get more information... To no avail but I'm not going to give up. Oh and I have not gotten sick from it nor have I died yet:)

Most often though I have had a hand take mine and lead me though I have nearly zero visuals but I am fully conscious and aware. Sometimes it is a fairly rough males hand even with a very thick leather like glove to most commonly a soft smaller females hand.

A dream? Reality? A little of both? I try to stay observant and I am careful to make a full judgement as to what all this is for at times I feel like it is very real trying to tell me something. Other times I believe that it is all non-sense with no evidence of anything but a dream... Except the occasional vision... But that is a whole different story.
ArielsAngel (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-31)
I've experienced this phenomena my whole life. It began when I was around 8 years old with a very scary demonic voice that came to my bedroom door after I had awoken to a very cold room. I got up out of my bed, freezing, and crawled into my sisters bed and snuggling to her to get warm with my head and hands as close to her and the mattress as possible. Then I heard it call my name twice in the most hideous voice imaginable. I tried to wake my older sister but she would not wake up.
From there, I heard my name being called in a whisper for quite some time, at any givin' time during the day, while I was in the house and sometimes outside at my friends home down the street.
I told my parents about it and one day my brother told me that they were talking about taking me to a doctor... I stopped talking about it. I endured this alone.
Imagine my Mothers surprise when years later, in my adulthood, I caught the voices on tape! And not just calling my name... They disguise themselves as children (as a little girl) to try and trick me into acknowledging them so they can feel free to enter my home and stay. I don't fall for this.
I also see small shadows, about calf high, running quickly through my house. My Granddaughter actually saw one as it ran quickly past her and it knocked a ornament off the Christmas tree... My Mother, husband and My Stepdaughter were also in the room when it happened. I was coming down the hallway (where it was running to) at the time. They all just looked at me and my poor little grandaughter (11) was so shocked! I reassured her that it was nothing and to just ignore it. My Husband is concerned and voiced, later on that evening, that perhaps we should sell the house but I told him it wasn't the house... It's me and whatever is happening, it will follow.
I don't acknowledge it and I'm not afraid of it.
It's best not to respond... If you do, you might be inviting in trouble.
And "Yes"... They have awoken me from my sleep but usually I'm totally awake when this happens and it can happen any time of the day.
ArielsAngel (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-30)
I've experienced this phenomena my whole life. It began when I was around 8 years old with a very scary demonic voice that came to my bedroom door after I had awoken to a very cold room. I got up out of my bed, freezing, and crawled into my sisters bed and snuggling to her to get warm with my head and hands as close to her and the mattress as possible. Then I heard it call my name twice in the most hideous voice imaginable. I tried to wake my older sister but she would not wake up.
From there, I heard my voice being called in a whisper for quite some time, at any givin' time during the day, while I was in the house and sometimes outside at my friends home down the street.
I told my parents about it and one day my brother told me that they were talking about taking me to a doctor... So I stopped talking about it. I endured this alone.
Imagine my Mothers surprise when years later, in my adulthood, I caught the voices on tape! And not just calling my name... They disguise themselves as children (as a little girl) to try and trick me into acknowledging them so they can feel free to enter my home and stay. I don't fall for this.
I also see small shadows, about calf high, running quickly through my house. My Granddaughter actually saw one as it ran quickly past her and it knocked a ornament off the Christmas tree... My Mother, husband and My Stepdaughter were also in the room when it happened. I was coming down the hallway (where it was running to) at the time. They all just looked at me and my poor little grandaughter (11) was so shocked! I reassured her that it was nothing and to just ignore it. My Husband is concerned and voiced, later on that evening, that perhaps we should sell the house but I told him it wasn't the house... It's me and whatever is happening, it will follow.
I don't acknowledge it and I'm not afraid of it.
It's best not to respond... If you do, you might be inviting in trouble.
And "Yes"... They have awoken me from my sleep but usually I'm totally awake when this happens and it can happen any time of the day.
rhett040 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-06)
i have heard stuff a bit like that but it sounds like the what ever it is needs me for some thing like it is in trouble in pain so on and so on I am not sure what to do I don't have any close relavives that would be doing it and it only says my name well when ever I am fencing with a few of my friends I feel like I am ten times powerful it could just be instict but it feels like I could knock a skyscrper down in one punch
godawgsgo (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-10)
😕 the same things happen to me sometimes. Don't sleep on your back because that is the only time that happens. Sooo I never sleep on my back. Next time try to ask who it is that's what I do. And then it stops. Before you sleep, try to be selfless don't think about anything, and pray. Pray like there is no tommorow. Lol. ❤
jayt11490 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-15)
omg, this happened to me! I felt exactly the same way as you. I heard something whisper my name, so I looked above me, but I couldn't move... I was paralyzed. I saw a figure above me but I wasn't sure. I thought to myself before I looked again, I hope she doesn't scream. And sure enough, when I looked again I noticed more detail, it was a shriveled woman's face, and she screamed my name into my ear, causing me to shake and I was very scared. I tried to call out to my aunt for help, but since I was like partially paralyzed, I sounded mentally challenged. I thought in my mind for Jesus but that's just my natural reaction when I have these experiences, its happened to me three times including this time. But I feel like you're right, that they do feed off fear and that they can read your thoughts. Is there anyway to keep this from happening? Or... Yeah lol
Demonbinder (66 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-16)
DarkKnight, that is NOT an angel calling to you.

You are right, not just any type of prayer will help. It has to be sincere and powerful. I bind you spirit in the name of Jesus works well too.
AstralAnomoly (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-01)
Hello Again!
Here is SOME info...
there is ALOT MORE out there!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_Paralysis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnogogic_hallucination

http://www.sharonmay.co.uk/AngelSigns.html
**on this page there is info about getting signs from your Angel, INCLUDING hearing their voice!
If you look in the ANGELS column there is much more info, if it is something that interests you!
AstralAnomoly (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-01)
Generally, if you are in bed, falling asleep (or waking up) it is sleep paralysis and/or hypnogogic hallucinations... Many times they can occur simultaneously and seem VERY real and VERY scary.
There ARE more common experiences, but if you research these topics you will find that peoples experiences can vary quite a bit.
For example, while it is most common to experience sleep paralysis on your back, it can happen in ANY position. IN FACT, it happens most often to ME when sleeping on my stomach.
*It can sometimes be VERY difficult to distinguish between wakefulness and sleeping when these hallucinations occur.

During the day/while awake... It is VERY unlikely that a demon or some evil entity is calling out to you.
It is much more likely that it is your Guardian Angel/Angel as they are always around you.
You can also research this topic, as many believe that you can ask them their name, ask them for help/advice, see them (if you are comfortable doing so), and that they may have left signs for you in the past that you may or may not have noticed.
**Some prefer to call them Guides/Spirit Guides (depending on your belief system).
Easykiel (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-30)
Sorry for the double post, I just wanted to mention something from Emma2008's post. That convulsion is known as a hypnic jerk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk

It's quite an interesting and as yet unexplained phenomena.
Easykiel (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-30)
I'm in agreement with SchizoSephy on this one. Namecalling is typical of the auditory hallucinations experienced whilst in Hypnagogic/Hypnopompic sleep paralysis. Other classics are mumbled conversations the words of which are just to muffled to make out, random shouting, noises that sound like a construction site underwater, and hearing weird music.
Usual these hallucinations are accompanied by an unexplainable feeling of dread and often the belief that there is some malicious presence in the room with you.
Whilst these hallucinations can be frightening they aren't really anything to worry about and the experience will generally only last a few minutes regardless of prayer or any other attempts at making it stop.
SchizoSephy (74 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-30)
I'm thinking you're having sleep paralysis. It's happened to me before.
ghostluver1523 (22 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-27)
Wen you said the only thing that makes it realese me is calling the name jesus makes me totally sure I know what it is.It's a demon and it calling your name and trying to lure you into it. I think it's trying to take over your body and posses you. If I were you I would get someone to bless my house and all the other houses I've been in so I know that it won't posses one of my friends because ir it possesed one of my friends I know I would never forgive myself.



~~ Amy ~~
BlueDemon150 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-26)
Wow! I know how you feel. When I was younger I would always hear my name being called. And yes, like always, I would ask my parents if they called me and their answer was 'no'. No that I'm older I don't hear it as often. I have experienced the name calling when I'm about to go to sleep. It's very uncomfortable and unexpected. What I do is say a prayer before I go to bed and I sleep with the radio on with nice music. It helps beat out the eerie quiet noises at night. 😁

Good luck and take care.
❤ BlueDemon150
LeanneScott999 (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-26)
Hi this is my first ever post but after reading your story I had to post 😁
I have had my name called quite a few times the majority of the time it has been when I'm just about to fall asleep and I'm not sure whether or not its my subconsious taking over, I've also heard screams at this point. Anyway there has been 2 occasions when my name has been called and I am wide awake. The first was when I was about 18 I was putting my shoes on in the front room of my moms house and I was alone, as I was tying the laces some one whispered "Leanne" in my ear as clear as day I even felt a slight breeze on my ear. At this point I ran outta the house lol. The second time I was watching a film with 3 friends and I thought I heard my mom call me, I turnned to my friends and asked "did you hear someone call me" as I wasn't sure if I heard correctly, all 3 said they didn't hear anything. Then my name was called again only louder this time I ignored it and carried on watching the film but 1 of my friends said "Leanne I just heard someone call you" thinking it was probably my mom I went to go up stairs to see what she wanted but as I got to the hall I just "felt" somthing wasn't right. Anyway long story short it turnned out my parents were both fast asleep with the bedroom door shut, but just to be sure I woke them up and asked if they called me, neither of them had:s
SomeoneUDontKnow (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-24)
Darknight I know how you feel 😭.

Once (It happened more than once though) when I was walking to school about 7-8am I heard someone/something call my name. I'm scared to my lifes end cause I'm like 8 years old then. I want to run to school but I check every corner to see who/what it was. I look around but I see nothing. I decide it was my mind playing tricks. But right before I enter school I see something. It somewhat looked like a greyish/blackish color. And it runs into this store. I want to follow it but I was late for school anyways.

I wish you well Darknight 😊
sammie (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-23)
wow, it dose sound like sleep paralysis. Though I do have a questian. When I had sleep paralysis the last time, I think it was sleep paralysis, I was on my side and so far everyone here sais it only happen's when your on your back... What dose that mean? Sorry, I'm clueless. 😕 and that dose sound scary, hearing your name being called.
cheeky_basturd (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-21)
😕 when your in between sleeping and being awake one can be fooled one time I was going to sleep and in the middle of being asleep and awake my ears started ringing and then it turned in to the grudge screaming made me very upset but it was just being between states... As a child I would go outside to play but no one was outside everyone was gone and someone would whisper my name... Happened a lot in different states while I went to church with my friend and asked them "who is calling my name?" and they looked at me like I was mental and then told me when I hear it again to ask if this is jesus call me again and if this is satan stop calling me... We moved to ohio and I was walking towards my friends door to come in and while taking my shoes off the name called me again... Weird, if satan is not tricking me and this is for sure Jesus why me? I prayed the other day for him to call me again if it was truely him... Could you imagine if it is
tweedinbaudle (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-17)
Ok so it sounds like it could be one of these two things.
1. Demon- I know sounds scary and it kind of is but if saying Jesus and things like that release you then that fits. As well as being able to read your thoughts they have no boundaries.
2. Old hag- it will give you all of those feelings and drain you. Thats its main goal. It basically feeds off of your energy and fear. In my opinion they are just another type of demon. And in some cases they would call your name almost trying to lure you and as they are connecting they can read your thoughts. Just be careful. Tell someone you know like your mom.
Emma2008 (4 stories) (110 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
I know I just posted a comment, but I wanted to post something separate. From time to time, I'll be lying in bed on my stomach, somewhere between consciousness and sleep state when all of a sudden my entire body will tremble and wake me immediately, although I felt like I wasn't quite asleep yet. It's a crazy state because I was dreaming/imagining that I was walking along and I tripped! I guess my "sleep paralysis" hadn't kicked in yet and so my body reacted by convulsing (like I was stumbling to the ground). It's actually quite hilarious when I think about it and a co-worker of mine has also experienced it in the same light as me. Perhaps you were also caught in that same state, where you are imagining these names being called out.
Emma2008 (4 stories) (110 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
"My History With Sleep Paralysis" is a story on this site that I wrote myself, please read it. I didn't have an episode for quite awhile until just a few days ago. I think that sleeping in a position where I'm lying face up with my hands to my sides and legs straight might trigger it, so I try not to sleep in that position. A few days ago, I suddently woke up to find myself in that position and I couldn't move. I quickly thought "It's just sleep paralysis, no big deal..." After only a few seconds of attempting to move my fingers, toes, anything, I succeeded, then I rolled to my side and fell back to sleep. It was the quickest episode I ever had. I think once you know what it is, it's easier to deal with. Do your research, trust me, it helps.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
I will have to agree with other posters here, this is pretty much classic sleep paralysis. This being sleep paralysis, however, does not make it any less real or any less frightening.

Try praying before you lay down to sleep instead of when you feel this coming on, this may help to relax you.

There are many other siggested posted here by some very intelligent people.

Keep us posted!
God Bless!
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-14)
I also agree with the others that this may be Sleep Paralysis. The only way I can think that can get you out of this is that you say your lord's name over and over again in your mind, making it louder eachtime, Until you are almost screaming. If you are alone in your room, then say it outloud instead of in your mind. And also, say in a fierce and brave voice to make that "Thing" go away. Just say"GO AWAY! I DON"T WANT YOU HERE!" It will work. If anything else happenes, please feel free to tell us. Best of Luck.
Biemaster
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-14)
Hello DarkKnight,
Just by what you have written, I would have to think this a case of Sleep Paralysis. There are many stories on this site that have the descriptions of the myriad of things a person goes through while in the throws of SP.
I do, have a suggestion for you. Many people can give you advice, but it is up to you to discover which one will work for you, and the one (or ones) that you are most comfortable with.
Before going to bed, I would suggest thinking on a bright white light in your head. In this picture, picture a door that is airtight in the center, and there is a room INSIDE the white light. You can even decorate that room anyway in which you feel comfortable. Envision it so well, that you can feel a bit of the heat off of it. Then envision yourself walking into the PROTECTION of the white light, and INTO that room. While in the room, simply remind yourself that nothing can hurt or harm you while in the Protective Circle. If this is NOT SP, that will protect you from uneasiness.
Any time that I am nervous, I call out the white light. It is pure and straight from the Spirits, so I KNOW that I am in their PROTECTION.
Spirits and ghosts are two separate things. Ghosts are stuck here on earth for some reason or another, and generally we see them as how they passed away. Spirits have made the transition between this life and the Spiritual realm and are free to travel back and forth if they so choose. We usually see them in possession of their perfect forms.
Thank you.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-14)
I have to agree with the other members here. I think its sleep paralysis. It does happen and can bee very scary. I hope to hear from you soo and take care
iWereWolf (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-13)
nigheanruadh is right it usaully happens when you sleep on your back,

It always happens to my brother when he sleeps on his back. And hes says "it never happens when you sleep on your side"

once my brother wittness a man stangling him with his blanket, he also felt 2 others present but was focusing on trying to move any part of his body (it is said when in this horrific state, you must use everything in your power to move your hands or feet or anything in your body) as soon as he moved he woke up.

but my brother is use to it and doesn't care since he says he likes to sleep on his back anyways.
nigheanruadh (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-12)
Hi DarkKnight, this sounds like sleep paralysis, which is fairly common and is usually brought on by sleeping in a supine position, nothing to do with "evil spirits" despite the feelings of fear you might experience. During paralysis you can "see" and "hear" things such as whispers or shadows, but they are just hallucinations.
Check out this article for basic info on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

I've had this once before when I was in my early teens. When I looked into it and realized what it was and what usually causes it (sleeping on your back and/or being very stressed), it has never happened again.

It can be freaky and terrify when it does happen, but it's nothing to be afraid of. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: