You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Held Down by a Strange Force

Real Ghost Stories

Held Down by a Strange Force

 

This past summer of 07 something really strange happened to me. I went to bed at the same time as I usually do which was probably 12 am - 1 am and I fell asleep. As I was asleep, I woke up to feeling very awkward. When I woke up I noticed that there was a huge black circle over my bed. Being scared I tried to get out of bed to run to my parents room or something but it felt like I was being held down by something. It's really hard to describe but it didn't just feel as if it was a person holding me down. It felt as if it were a force of some kind.

As I laid there scared sh*tless because the only thing I could move were my eyes and I could move my feet a little bit. I looked around and saw that there was a weird black figure. Sort of looked like a person who would have a black cloak on but they were really blurry. Again. Its really hard to explain, as I laid there looking around the room thinking I'm going to die my dog was also in my room with me laying on my bed looking straight at me.

And finally she stood up and came up to my face and licked me and that's when I sort of was able to snap out of it and I was able to move again. I then ran to my mothers room and woke her up and told her about it. (I was 19 and I don't get scared very easily).

The next day after it took me a while to fall back asleep I kept thinking to my self. "I'm a really vivid dreamer. Maybe I was just dreaming. And maybe coincidentally everything in my room was in the exact same place and nothing was missing" So. I started to think that it was just a dream. And it didn't help much that my mom was saying it was just a dream also.

A few months later I ended up moving to Halifax, NS into my own apartment by myself. A couple weeks after I moved in the same exact thing happened to me. Except this time there was no black circle it was just the weird black blurry figures except this time there was more then just one. There was probably a few of them. And one was right beside me on my bed.

When I was finally able to snap out of it. I looked around my room and everything was the exact same as what it was when I was being held down by those forces. So that's when I decided that there was no way that I could of had 2 dreams the exact same and both of them having nothing missing out of my rooms or anything that was not in the right place. Like for example my guitar was in the exact same spot.

A couple weeks ago I was staying in a hotel in Toronto, Ontario and the same thing happened to me. I started to fall asleep and then got woken up to a strange feeling of being held down. Except this time there was quit a bit of black blurry figures all around me. A lot more then the first and second time. And this time there still was no black circle above my bed on my ceiling (so I really don't know what was up with that in the first time).

I kept trying to move desperately and still couldn't and also I forgot to mention. While I'm being held down I can't scream or talk at all it seems like I was striped of my voice and everything. And again everything was also the same. I had a half opened laptop laying on the bed beside me and everything in the room was the same. Which I don't see how I could remember everything in my room if it was actually a dream. Which I KNOW for a fact it wasn't.

Also this other time that I was in a hotel I was just laying on my bed watching a movie on my laptop and I had a spoon flat on my desk and all of a sudden it just fell off. (I don't know if a ghost had anything to do with it. Also there was no base from the movie I was watching so there's no way that it could of caused the spoon to fall down)

Yesterday while I was at work I was talking with one of my co-workers who's a flight attendant, she used to read tarot cards and has experienced ghost encounters herself, also her mother is a palm reader and she has a lot of visions. So there's some kind of psychic stuff that goes on with their family.

I told her about what was happening to me and she asked me if I had done anything to try to contact spirits before or anything like that. And I got to thinking. I bought a ouija board the summer of 06. But I never tried to use it until the summer of 07 with some friends, we were able to talk to a spirit but I always thought that it was just my friend pulling a joke on me even though he swore it wasn't him. When I told her about that she told me that I should get rid of the board asap.

Till this day this still scares the sh*t out of me when ever it happens. If anyone has any suggestions or same past experiences or comments let me know :) thx.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, estamand, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

spiritual (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-28)
You mentioned in your story that you had an experience in Halifax, Nova Scotia, would you mind advising what address that was as I personally would like to experience this myself. 😳
toastymarshy (3 stories) (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-01)
I've had that happen to me, but sometimes when you are in rapid eye movement (basically dreaming) you wake up but only part of you wakes up and the part that doesn't is your body, therefore you are unconscious. But it might not be that because it doesn't feel like it is with me either. Especially if you have seen a black figure. 😉
AstralAnomoly (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-01)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnogogic_hallucination

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_Paralysis

These have some good basic information, but there is ALOT MORE info out there if you just research the terms (i.e. On Google or something).

MANY times the two (Hypnogogic Hallucinations & Sleep Paralysis) happen simeltaneously... Which sounds EXACTLY like what was happening to you, and has happened to me SEVERAL TIMES, Except with different hallucinations.

GOOD LUCK!

Easykiel (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-30)
There are two obvious explanations for this, so we'll begin with the scientific explanation, the one that I so desperately want to believe! And then I'll go on to the occult.

1. What you are experiencing is a common enough phenomena called sleep paralysis. Basically, when you sleep at night your brain sends a signal to stop your body from moving, so that you don't end up acting out your dreams. Things like sleepwalking and night terrors (people thrashing about and fighting in their sleep) are a direct result of this signal not being sent. What you are experiencing is the opposite.

The reason that you can see your room in every detail is that you are (mostly) awake, so in that sense it isn't a dream. However, you can't move because your brain has not yet fully woken up, and as such has not sent the signal to the body which allows it to move.

As for the black figures, this can be explained as hypnopompic hallucinations, dreams superimposed over waking vision because your brain is still somewhat within the dream phase. (Some people will see Aliens, some will see demons, but many see these fuzzy dark figures.) It's nothing to worry about, and you shouldn't be scared because they can't hurt you.

Unless...

2. Have you ever heard of the supernatural beings referred to as Shadow People?
kissa_88230 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-29)
I have the same thing happen to me all the time but I never thought it was anything but a sleeping disorder until my husband experinced it the other Night but relly don't know what to tell but to be cazreful what you mess with!
vicente (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-28)
what you experience is probably some experiment of ascended beings they often interfere during certain times of the day/night to avoid detection by other humans or animals, they are not evil and a ouija board has no actual true connection with divine beings I would recomend getting rid of that however I would attempt to connect to these beings. And do not religion influence your thought
alivewell (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-23)
Don't ever! Play with Oujii boards and read Psalm 91 before you go to bed a few times and the Lord's Prayer. Ask god/Jesus Christ out loud for protection against the principalities of darkness that govern over your home, geographical area and country.
MikeyNL (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-23)
Hi there I'm new to the group aswell. I've had the same thing like you do, butt for a bit longer it happened when I was 13 I had an encounter with an WW2 soldier near the beach since then he is everywere I'am. Butt when I'm held down in my bed sometimes he comes to help me. Butt there is one you should not do: let them know that you are scared they'll come more often and try 2 harm you (same like a dog never show that you are scared)
Good luck and Keep faith and trust in God.

P.s it doesn't help when you trow your board away or burn it they are already here they are earth bound and not 2 the board 😉
scp29440 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-22)
Hey Everyone!

I am new to the group, but I have had the same experiences off and on the past 20 years. The only way for this scary experience to stop is I just start praying and all of a sudden I can move. I had read a story from a guy that lives in Chesterfield, South Carolina. I would like to contact him if he could email me at scp29440 [at] yahoo.com
Thanks!
GhostGal (6 stories) (104 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-19)
WOW... THAT is scary... Just think, it prob. Woulda kept multiplying! Jeez, scary, scary, scary! Never mess with an Ouija board... And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEAAASSEEE tell me you did NOT burn that Ouija board!

~Gejro
Mello27 (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-18)
Hi, I know exactly what you are talking about, because it happened to me a couple times. I was very curious as to why, because I don't try to contact spirits in any way. Upon doing some research, I found that this happens a lot. It's known as "old Hag Syndrom..." or Sleep paralysis.
The story behind the Old hag syndrome is that a long time ago they believed a witch would sit on your chest as you slept, holding you down. She would then work her evil magic on you, or whatever the case may have been.
Sleep Paralysis, is what modern society has replaced old hag syndrome with. Basically they say that when you sleep and enter REM your brain shuts down your body "paralyzing" it so that you don't act out your dreams and injure yourself while you sleep. But what happens sometimes is your mind wakes up before your body and your stuck in a half dream half awake state unable to move your body. This would scare anyone, and as panic enters your thoughts you starts to see things that frighten you such as shadows.
I don't know if that is true, but its what I read. I saw dark cloaked figures when it happened to me, and its hard to imagine that its just a big cuincedence.
Thanks for sharing
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-18)
Hello, estamand. Welcome to the site.
I have a few questions for you, but I have noticed that you have not as of yet returned any comments to those posted here. Yet.
This black circle that you saw over your bed. I know that you said it was hard to describe, but is it possible for you to please try and add dimension to it? Was it one dimensional? Three dimensional? (Flat, or having bulk?)
You say that you saw A weird black blurry figure, then you say "they", just one figure, and a typo? Or were there more than one? Months later there were more, but on this "beginning day", how many were there?
You laid there looking around the room, were you then able to move more than just your eyes, or were you still paralysed?
Did you SEE the spoon fall off of the desk, or were you too engrossed in the movie to actually see it's descent? I am just curious if it "scooted" off the desk, or if it was "thrown" off.

I really hate to say this, but I DO think that the majority of what you are experiencing are cases of Sleep Paralysis. I am having difficulties placing the black circle though. It will be a bit more telling if you can describe whether it was cylindrical, encompassing you in it, or a flat circle, just hovering above you.
I seriously, SERIOUSLY do NOT feel as if these occurrences had ANYTHING to do with your one experience with the Ouija board. I think your feelings on that whole ordeal is pretty accurate. I think your friend was trying to spook you there. Our FEELINGS in any situation are perfect forms of research, as our senses pick up things that sometimes our MIND does not.
Thank you.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-17)
Hi estamand. I believe your experience was sleep paralysis. You should read up on this subject. As for the Ouija Board, I hope you realize how troublesome this board can be if not in the hands of someone who knows how to open and close the session correctly. Did you get rid of the board? It could be possible that you are having ghostly visitors and/or sleep paralysis. I'm leaning more towards sleep paralysis.

SHELBY

❤ 😊
hikari (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-17)
the first with the circle thing is more like sleep paralysis, because your dog would bark if there's something there. For the stories after that, they're more likely to be truth in my view, I also agree to what flutterofwings said. Did you discard the board? Hope you have not burn it (that's a very bad idea to burn it). I think you should talk to your co-worker's mother for advice, that should be the best way.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
I believe when you played with the ouija board, you opened a portal up. Then what ever entity came out of that, may be just following you around. If you didn't close the ouija board correctly, then it's still open. And how did you discard the board? If you did that is. I would be interested to know.
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
Whoa, while reading the story, chills went down my spine! Really, that was one heck of a story. Anyway, thanks for sharing it with us. I think that maybe you have had some problem when you were small or something, and those things might have come back to you again. But after I read the part of the Ouija board thing, I realized that I was wrong. You must have called a spirit and now it must be with you (I won't use the word"Haunting") Anyways, Don't worry and Best of Luck. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask or write.
Biemaster
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
I believe with the occurances you are explaining in your story, you are having episodes of sleep paralysis. Please do not think I am diminishing or making light of these occurances in any fashion, it is absolutely terrifying to deal with.

Please read a few of the other stories on this site regarding sleep paralysis. There are terrific suggestions and insight in these stories.

God Bless!
lolita (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
i had the same thing happen to me, but its not dark figures that I saw I actually saw my grandmother! It happened in the middle of the night, I was just suddenly wide awake I saw something glowing from the corner of my eye, I looked and saw my grandma staring back at me!, I was frozen with shock and couldn't move, I tried to scream and couldnt, it was the worst possible feeling, I pray to god that I never have an experience like that again!
Emma2008 (4 stories) (110 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
"My History With Sleep Paralysis" is a story on this site that I wrote myself, please read it. I didn't have an episode for quite awhile until just a few days ago. I think that sleeping in a position where I'm lying face up with my hands to my sides and legs straight might trigger it, so I try not to sleep in that position. A few days ago, I suddently woke up to find myself in that position and I couldn't move. I quickly thought "It's just sleep paralysis, no big deal..." After only a few seconds of attempting to move my fingers, toes, anything, I succeeded, then I rolled to my side and fell back to sleep. It was the quickest episode I ever had. I think once you know what it is, it's easier to deal with. Do your research, trust me, it helps.
darklightandlightdarkness (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
hey estamand I have seen a few of these kinds of beings before what I call them are phantoms because they aren't ghosts ghosts stay for a longer time then a few nights and they don't tend to do stuff randomly they do them everynight phantoms however aren't as predictable for they are the living force a ghost leaves behind they have the same look as ghosts in that they are a little hard to see to most people but as for the black circle that isn't that common even for me sence I see phantoms like three times a day the circle is called the gate it leades to their plain of existance that's all I can tell you at this point as I get more info I will tell you what I find don't worry I'll work all I can to find out why they try to hold you down
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
Hi estamand. I don't know about sleep paralysis in this case, maybe it is, but because you saw the black figures it makes me wonder. Had you been fooling with that ouija board before all of this started to happen? If so, that could be an explanation. Have you thrown the board out yet? There is a special way to get rid of them, I know that, but I can't give the details because I don't know.I'm too scared of those things to mess around with them and I don't think you'll find many people who recommend using one either. Thanks for sharing your story, you'll get some good advice here.
nigheanruadh (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
I don't know about the spoon, but the rest of your story sounds like a classic case of Sleep Paralysis. There are many stories on this site that are virtually identical to yours.

I've had this before once, but when I did some research on it and found out that it was just a strange process that happens during REM and nothing paranormal, it has never happened again. Check out Wikipedia or Google for more info on Sleep Paralysis. Basically, your brain wakes up during REM and you feel a sense of dread/terror and also hallucinate/hear noises that aren't really there. You feel as if something is holding you down and cannot move or shout out because your skeletal muscles are "paralysed" during REM to prevent injury while sleeping. It's also possible for some parts of your body to not be totally paralysed during this event (you mentioned you could move your feet one time). This usually happens in times of stress, when you are sleeping at irregular times (naps, travelling, etc.) and/or when you sleep on your back.

You didn't mention what position your were sleeping in, but if you try to sleep on your side and also try to reduce any sources of stress in your life, the chances of this happening again will decrease significantly.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: