You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: My Best Friend and His Ghosts

Real Ghost Stories

My Best Friend and His Ghosts

 

I have always had an interest in the paranormal, as a child, I found reading ghost stories was more fun than playing with Barbie's. I am 26 now, but at the time of meeting my friend's ghost, I was just 16.

My best friend Michael had always claimed his house was haunted, but like a good 'ghost tracker' (which is what I thought of myself at the time) I always remained somewhat skeptical. Every year, his parents made a big snowmobiling trip, going to Wisconsin 2 or 3 times through the winter, and this would be the first time he and his sister would not have a babysitter. (They were a little more than paranoid about teens in the house unsupervised). So like all responsible teenagers, Michael and Casey (his sis) made sure to break as many rules as possible in the shortest possible time frame, so they invited me over to hang out. (Their parents didn't like me much at the time, but that has changed)

So with free reign on the house, we made a mess cooking food, watching movies, and cranking the music. Casey and I had decided that music was more fun (dancing and what-not) than movies, so we went through our cumulative collections to finally decide on Marilyn Manson's Smells Like Children CD. Any Manson fans know, the CD starts with the song, The Hands of Small Children, which is about as creepy as it gets.

So there we are getting the CD set up, with Michael bouncing around the room, and the darn thing just won't play. After like 6 other CD's played fine, just this one won't work. Frustrated, I asked Michael to go grab my soda from the kitchen. At the time, I had 2 cans on the table, one 3/4 filled with soda, and one with a couple of drops in it that I was using for an ashtray (one of the reasons his parents weren't too fond of me).

So Casey and I continue to struggle with the CD player, trying not to break anything, when we both hear noises coming from the kitchen. I am used to Michael's random outbursts (one of the reasons we've been friends for 15 years), so I just ignore him. Then all at once, the CD comes on blaring, Casey and I both jump up in surprise, and Michael's whimpers got louder.

We both popped our heads around the corner of the kitchen to see Michael standing still, whimpering, with his arm out, pointing at the table. Casey and I looked at each other, and stepped further in the kitchen. "What?" I asked. He just kept whimpering. "WHAT?!?" we both shouted. Michael slowly looked at me with the biggest; most frightened eyes I had ever seen and just keeps whimpering and pointing. So apparently I was missing something.

I finally get a grip on what he is pointing at, the cans on the table. One of which is moving. By itself. As we watched the more filled can of soda, slowly moved around the other can and started moving to the edge of the table, picking up speed as it went. As it got to the end of the table, Michael (in a state of shock) picked it up and put it back, next to the other can (the ashtray). It kept moving. Making a beeline for the edge of the table. Again.

At this point we are laughing and crying in hysterics, not sure what to do or say. I remember having Casey by the pony tail, ready to pull her out in the 3 feet of snow if things got worse. They didn't that night, but I think that was the start of a 9 month period of crazy paranormal experiences in his house.

In the time that has passed I have seen white and black shadows in his home, one of which is the elderly woman that owned the house before them (she died in the bathtub). I have seen and heard dogs and cats that they do not own, and have seen a cat sitting in their window. I have heard footsteps and banging. And there is whispering that you can follow down the basement stairs to the laundry room. Their computer turns it self on when you approach it (convenient!), but the TV will change channels on you in a 6-6-6-9-6-6-6-9 pattern (scary). One of the oddest things to date is the appearance of purple and yellow orbs in the laundry room. From all my research, orbs visible to the naked eye are rare. I have seen pillows jump from the couch to the floor, and the rocking chair in the living room likes to rock when someone sits in the room alone.

Michael doesn't live with his parents anymore, but we do visit and the ghosts always let us know that they are still around.

Other hauntings by phunkyd

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, phunkyd, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

phunkyd (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-16)
This was in Villa Park, IL. A 'lil town smooshed between Elmhurst & Lombard. We have noticed that things in that house have gotten quieter as the kids have all grown up and left. But... They do like Michaels mom, she has many dreams of people trying to make her leave, or telling her its time to go. She sees lots of things that she won't talk about, so as much as things may not happen to us since we are there so infrequently, I think they keep Michael's mom on her toes. Hopefully she will tell us one day.
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-14)
LOVE this story!

Worthy of my faves for sure!

That Manson CD wasn't my favorite of his, but it was still pretty awesome lol

thanks!
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-08)
where in IL did this take place? Just curious. Fantastic story... Made me look at my coffee cup... Just to make sure
Emma2008 (4 stories) (110 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-06)
I was at a restaurant not to long ago and I noticed a woman eating alone at her table. Most everyone has the lunch buffet, which is excellent there, and this woman was no exception. She was on her second plate, she was eating from it and her first empty plate hadn't been picked up yet by the waitress and was at the center of the table. She was in my line of sight, I wasn't being nosey, but her empty plate began to slide slowly from the center of the table, away from her. It was a curious encounter, but I knew right away what had happened. The water glasses at that restaurant tend to "sweat" leaving the table wet. This empty plate had been placed on some of this sweated water and was thereby skidding off the table very slowly. Perhaps a similar thing happened with the soda cans in your story?
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-06)
Ok I was thinking the same thing with moisture, a flat smooth surface and music vibration. This of course would not account for the voices or orbs experienced later. I do know that teens can also have a kinectic energy naturally but that would not explain voices or orbs and shadows either. Sounds to me like it may be a place that is truly haunted and remains so to this day. Did the parents ever encounter anything strange? Thanks for sharing. Great story.
phunkyd (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-05)
hi all,

thanks for the comments. We did make sure that the cans were dry and even attempted to recreate the situation later that night (after we all calmed down, that is). We couldn't get the cans to move or even vibrate with the bass from the stereo.

so many things happened in that house over the years, that it really shouldnt have been such suprise to us, but then again, the ghosties like to spring it on you when you are least expecting it.

keep an eye out for me, I will be posting more about Michaels house, and a place called Mary Knoll. Pretty interesting stuff

peace
Dayna
aka PhunkyD ❤
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-05)
That was a well written story and a very interesting account of events.

Not wishing to repeat Whitebuffalo's comment on the cans, I'll just say I agree with her. Moisture tends to have a life of its own 😊

Please, keep us posted whenever you have something new from your parental home. I'd be very interested in reading more of your experiences.

Thanks for sharing
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-05)
I have to agree with WhiteBuffalo here. I think that this can be explained but this does sound very scary. I liked your story. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
gsi0leader (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-04)
😨...I have some good stories myself but I have to wait until I can submit my stories, anyhow can you do me a favor? If yes tell as many people as you can to look out for a show & website called GSI. GSi stands for Ghost Scene Investigators.bye
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-03)
As this happened when you were at least ten years younger, I really do not expect you to be able to remember this, but it is a thought. Was there any moisture on the table that the soda cans were on at the time that the 3/4 full can was moving (you know, condensation from off the can itself)? Also, was the CD player blaring out the songs with enough power to feel the vibrations on the floors, walls, table? The two combined, could very well cause the can (no matter how heavy it was) to move "on it's own".
As to the next to last paragraph... I think I will have to wait for the submission site to reopen, and for our poor, over worked Mr. Martin to be able to catch up with all of the work that WE have all given him, too. I do believe I would enjoy reading more of the tales from this reportedly haunted house.
Thank you.
Velvet (2 stories) (72 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-02)
Good choice in music. I like that song, "Mobscene". However I have encountered creepy stuff myself but it all ended when I hit my teen years. Wierd. However great story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: