You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: An Illinois Haunting

Real Ghost Stories

An Illinois Haunting

 

My story starts in 1983, the year I was born in Des Plaines, Illinois. My parents and my older brother had previously lived in a two-flat, but with a new baby, they decided they needed more space. House hunting was difficult for them, because money was tight, and they always seemed to get outbid on the property they wanted. When they pulled up to the house right off of the Wolf Rd. Circle, they thought it was too good to be true. It was a brick ranch, with wood floors, and all of the space our young family would need. There were schools within walking distance and a couple of parks too, they thought there was no way we would be able to place a successful bid on this one without a fight. It seems the property had been on the market for 7 years and no one had stayed there very long. My parents were ecstatic, and immediately placed a bid, and bought the house.

Everything was pretty normal, and no one seemed to notice anything odd, little noises were just the foundation settling, right? The day I was christened, my parents invited everyone over for a party, and to see the new house. We had moved in a month or two before so this was the first opportunity for the family to check it out. My aunt walked up the steps, and as soon as she set one foot in our entry way, not even saying hello, looked at my mother and said, "I will not go in your basement, and will not go in your attic..." My mom thought it was strange but just brushed it off.

While we were living in the house, things seemed to escalate. The kitchen was always about 20 degrees colder than the rest of the house, even on the hottest summer days. There were constant footsteps down the hallways that were noticeable because of the wood floors.

One day my Godmother and my mom were hanging out in the house and watching me. They heard the footsteps coming down the hallway, and me being a one year old heard them too. You could follow where they were coming from, and as soon as they approached where the doorway was I started screaming and crying at the top of my lungs. Needless to say, they picked me up and ran out of the house as quickly as they could. We didn't go back until my dad was home from work. Another weird thing that occurred regularly was that we had storm windows in the basement that had shutters on the basement walls that were locked from the inside. There was no wind that would come from the window wells, but they would bang at random times.

Everyone in my immediate family was injured while living in the house. My brother, who was 8-9 at the time was playing on our living room floor, when out of nowhere my mom hears a scream. She walks in to find the fireplace mantle on top of him. He of course couldn't have pryed it off the wall, and it was about 15 feet away from the fireplace. He said it flew off the wall onto him. My dad was hanging up artwork in a hallway one day, and said the hammer flew back and hit him above the eye. He had to go to the hospital and still has 2 scars above his eye from where the sharp points on the opposite end of the hammer hit him. My mom also said an unseen force pushed her off the deck and she broke her wrist.

I was the only one to see the ghost, but I cannot recall anything, even though this is my very first childhood memory. I was about 3 at the time and my dad asked me to get him a pop from the fridge. I remember mundane details like the socks he was wearing and my point-of-view while walking down the hallway. I reached the fridge, grabbed a pop, and turned around to head back to the other room. When I did, I screamed and that's all I remember. My parents found me lying on the kitchen floor, and when they woke me I didn't remember what happened. I'm 25 years old now, and I try to remember, but I still can't. I've thought about going to a hypnotist to bring the memory back, but I'm too afraid.

My parents had been in the house a while now, and got friendly with the neighbors. After a while they started asking about the house and our experiences with it. They then mentioned that they knew the house wasn't "right". It had been vacant for a long time, and whenever anyone moved in, they wouldn't last too long. They told my parents that an older couple had lived there and the husband was a salesman that would travel frequently. His wife, Pearl, had some medical ailment and was confined to a wheelchair. One time when the husband went out of town, Pearl died in the kitchen and no one knew until the husband came home a week or two later. The husband must have known that even after death, Pearl stayed in the house because even though he moved out, he paid for the house to be kept up and the heating and air conditioning to run for the 7 years it was vacant.

My mom went to a psychic around this time with some girlfriends, and they all had a reading. After she was done giving my mom a reading about life children, job, future, etc. She said, "I know you didn't come here to find out about this, you really want to know who is in your house..." Finally, someone offered to help. She told my mom to go back into the house and tell Pearl that she was welcome to stay if she would leave us alone, but if she wanted to cause trouble she would have to leave. After that my mom had the house blessed, and nothing happened again. We lived there another 2 years before we moved.

I live in a suburb about 40 minutes away now, but every time I pass that house I always wonder if she is still there.

Thanks for reading! - Christine

Other hauntings by seabird

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, seabird, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-10)
Prime Example of what I meant when I posted this...

"You know what has always surprised me concerning ADVERTS of this type?!?

They never address a current/active Haunting experience and seem to post on 'threads' that have been dormant for 6 months or greater...

Get a hint TROLL... If you are truly interested in ACTIVE Haunted Home Experiences read the NEW SUBMISSIONS then see if the O/P has posted their e-mail address in their profile and contact them directly or at least say you enjoyed reading their experience and ask them to contact you via your e-mail...the 'MASS POSTING ADVERTS' are a boring pain in the a55 to read.

Rook"

This experience was published in 2008 and the last comment was at least a year ago...

AHHHH!

IF YOU WANT CURRENT HAUNTINGS YOU NEED TO ASK CURRENT O/P'S CONCERNING THEIR EXPERIENCES...

Rook
scaredeecat (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-08)
That was a scary story Seabird! I live 60 miles south of Chicago. I have a story I am trying to submit, but the page is down due to a high volume of stories being submitted. I agree, Pearl was probably trying to scare your family off because you were in HER home. 😕 Good Story!
StephenOsborne (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-03)
Christine: I'm compiling a book of Illinois ghost stories and would be interested in getting more information of your experience. If interested, please contact me at leftyIN [at] yahoo.com. Please be assured that if I use your tale for the book that names, etc, can be changed or only first names used to protect identities. Thanks!
seabird (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-24)
chuna - it's been a long time since I checked the coments on this story, but yes, the house is right on suicide circle. I haven't live there in a long time, but drive by the place occasionally. It's fun to find someone on here that is from the area and knows exactly whre I am talking about!
chuna (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-16)
whoa, crazy! I live a few blocks away from you. Was your house close to suicide circle? I would love to go see it one day. I agree with you about being too scared to have the memory brought back. Somethings are better left alone.
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-16)
What a well written story! I really enjoyed it! I'm glad I didn't have to grow up in a place with such physical manifestations! Hope to read more from you! 😊
seabird (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-12)
Hi whitebuffalo - thanks for reading my story! I especially like your story about your client's vision. Where my story might be somewhat dark, you story about your client was not only fascinating, but uplifting! Thanks for the comment!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-12)
You see, seabird? That is exactly why people like me have the jobs that we do. How horrible that Pearl had to pass away in the home while confined to a wheelchair and her husband was away for an undisclosed amount of time. Can you even IMAGINE the despair that she must have felt. How horrible.
When people are forced to go through situations like these on their own, they are also forced to deal with it. What a lonely existence. Perhaps she felt comfortable in the home and remained there for the seven years out of loyalty for the place that covered her for so long. And just maybe she rejoiced in the fact that your family loved it and moved in bringing in all of the noises and happiness that a family with children possess. As you were the only one to see her, perhaps she hid herself so that she did not frighten anyone again as she did you.
Thank you.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-10)
Doesn't anyone think it odd that a man leaves a wife who is confined to a wheelchair alone for a week or two without even having someone check in on her?It's not a wonder she is angry. He had to feel quite guilty if he heated and air condtioned a house for a ghost. Maybe he was afraid if he didn't she would follow him. She still may be there for all we know. Ghosts don't usually hurt people but seems like this one had one case of the meanies. Maybe she just took her anger at her husband out on your family. Great story.
RoseForEmily (34 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
I think Pearl didn't like the fact that her husband left her spirit there, and let other people come into her home.
This was a great and scary story!
Keep us updated on stuff!

-Sadie
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
Hi seabird and thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I found it to be very interesting although I'm sure it's not one you would want to remember.

I guess Pearl wanted to tell your family that this was HER house, and, having lived a life where on numerous occasions she had to be alone despite her disabilities, she had learnt to be ready to protect herself when needed.

I found her husband paying for rent and heating for 7 years quite exaggerated but I quess, he must have felt quilty for not being there to help her when she needed him.

I guess his help to his woman came a little too late.

I hope Pearl has found her way towards the light and she's no longer trapped in a world she no longer belongs.
seabird (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-08)
Hi Shelby! Thanks for reading my story! I never thought of that before, how she might have hurt people because we were in her house. That makes a lot of sense! 😁
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-08)
Hi seabird. I wonder why she (Pearl) would try and hurt everyone. I guess that was the only way she knew how to get everyone's attention. I'm sure she probably didn't like people in what she believed to still be her home. I believe she did pass on when the house was blessed. Interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

SHELBY ❤ 😊
seabird (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-08)
Thanks ChrisB. I feel the same way. I think he loved her too much to leave her in a cold, dark, empty house when he knew she would be sticking around. Thanks for reading and take care! 😁
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-08)
Wow that was a scary story. I realy liked it. I was surprised that the owner paid for the heating and everything when no one was there. I bet he didn't want her to be left like that. I bet he didn't know how to help her cross over. But I think that when the house goty bleesed she crossed over. Thanks for sharringf this interesting story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: