You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Grandma's Spirit Is our Daily Visitor

Real Ghost Stories

My Grandma's Spirit Is our Daily Visitor

 

I've always been fascinated with ghosts. I was the little girl who was intrigued by a good ghost story and asked questions afterward, putting myself in the spirit's situation. I'm very understanding and try to see any situation from both perspectives. So yes, I believe in ghost. Yet, how ironic when my grandma passed away, the thought of my grandma's house being haunted was hard to accept.

My two aunts, Delia and Chuy, lived with my grandma to take care of her. My grandma passed away in January 2005. She had Alzheimer's disease so my family was prepared. I was at ease when she died because I knew she wouldn't suffer anymore. She could now rest in peace: so we thought.

My Grandma's Spirit Is Our Daily Visitor

My family's first experience was a day after my grandma died. I wasn't there when this occurred. Aunt Delia, Chuy, Uncle Lupe, and my mom (my grandma's children) were at my grandma's house making funeral arrangements. My mom was in my Aunt Delia's room calling the funeral home. Aunt Delia, Chuy and Uncle Lupe were sitting on the couch in the living room. They could hear my mom talking over the arrangements when they heard footsteps in the hallway. My grandma's hallway has wooden floors so the footsteps were loud and clear. They said it sounded as if someone was walking in the hallway and going towards the kitchen. No one wanted to go and check, for it was only them and my mom who were in the house.

I first noticed something odd weeks after the funeral. I was at the dining table eating. I can't recall where Aunt Delia and Chuy were (they still live at my grandma's house). So I was eating and just getting use to not seeing my grandma, physically, in her house anymore. The house was quiet without her there. I was lost in thought when I saw someone standing in the middle of the hallway looking at me from my peripheral vision. *Note: If you were to sit at the end of the table and look straight ahead you can see the hallway and any one standing there.* Whoever I saw were dressed in white. I couldn't get a good look at whoever it was, because when I faced their direction; they were gone! I turned away for a split second and the white figure was there in the hallway again! I looked and it was gone as fast as it disappeared. I was puzzled. Then when I looked away for the third time, in my peripheral vision, nothing was there. The hallway was empty. So something WAS there.

This hallway event happened numerous times. Sometimes the white figure would be at the entrance of the hallway, middle, or at the very end. So this figure could move about as it chose.

Another incident occurred in the living room. I was bored. I didn't want to watch TV or be on the computer. So I decided to sit down and rest. I was sitting at the very end of the couch when in the corner of my eye I saw a white figure sitting at the other end (of the couch). From what I interpreted this figure didn't seem to know I was just a few feet away; it never looked in my direction. I couldn't tell if it was a male or female. I could make out a dress so I guess it was a female. I quickly turned towards the other end of the couch and the figure was gone. Just like the hallway incident. I returned to whatever I was doing when out of the corner of my eye... The figure reappeared and their legs were crossed. I freaked out and walked out of the living room. Fast! Even when I got up and walked out, passing the couch I was sitting on, the figure was still sitting there. I got out of there ASAP!

The hallway and the couch incident would happen almost everyday. But then it slowed down. There would be times when I didn't see the white figure for weeks or a good month, but then it would start all over again. It was as if the figure could come and go my grandma's house any time it wanted to. But those weren't the only incidents happening at my grandma's house.

My mom and her sisters (Delia and Chuy) went to Wal-Mart but I decided to stay at my grandma's house. I was tired and wasn't in the mood to go out. As they left I locked the front door and headed to the bathroom. *Note: The bathroom is located next to the kitchen.*

I was doing my business when I heard voices talking. I couldn't make out what they were saying but it came from the kitchen. I thought my mom had forgotten something in the house so she came back to get it. But the conversation I heard was between two people. As I stepped out of the bathroom I said "Mom your back?" Silence. I looked in the kitchen only to find no one was there. I walked to the front door. It was locked, just as I had left it. I looked out the window, my mom's SUV wasn't in the drive way. I was spooked. I know I heard voices but I shrugged it off and went to my Uncle John's room, by the dining area, watched TV and waited for my mom to get back.

On other occasions I would hear my name being called. I would ask Chuy or Aunt Delia if they called me. They both answered 'no'. But then again I've always heard my name being called, even when I was a child. So I was use to this.

I would also see a shadow figure passing by the doorway of my grandma's room or in the hallway. I would look and no one would be there.

The same goes for the knocking on the front and back door. I would hear knocking on the front door but when I open to greet whoever it is... No one was there.

A year had passed and these events still were occurring. I thought I was going crazy! Why was I the only one seeing these phenomenons? My worries came to rest during a family gathering at my grandma's house.

In November 2006 on a Monday we had a small gathering. I was talking to my mom, Chuy, and my cousin, Yvette (Uncle Lupe's daughter), if they have ever heard or seen anything. Yvette was staying at my grandma's house for a couple of nights (at the time) and she told us that at night she hears noises and footsteps in the hall. After she said that we all looked at each other and we started to talk about our own experiences. My mom mentioned that on Friday (10-6-06) she saw someone in white standing in the hallway. She couldn't make out a face, but knew it was a person. Then Chuy said often when she was washing dishes or doing laundry, she saw a shadow, in the corner of her eye, passing by in the hall. Wow! So I'm not the only one who's seeing/hearing things at my grandma's house. So then it was my turn. I confessed that sometimes when I stay alone in the house I hear voices or someone calling my name. I also sometimes see a shadow passing by in the hallway and footsteps. Then all of us confessed that sometimes when we sit down at the couch, we see someone dressed in white sitting on the other end. We then talked about the knocking on the door. After each of us confessed our weird experiences we all looked at each other and said "THIS HOUSE IS HAUNTED!" It was creepy and funny at the same time.

I felt relieved that I wasn't the only one seeing the white figure in the hallway and on the couch. And my mom, Chuy, and Yvette felt better talking about what they've seen. *Laughs to self* I then told my cousin "Sucks for you because you're spending the night here again..."

So we concluded that "something" was at my grandma's house. We also concluded that it was my grandma who was the white figure we were seeing. I guess she's just checking on us and letting us know she's watching over us.

I had doubts though. Although I am a big believer in ghosts, when it came down to my grandma's house, a house I'm very close to, it was hard to accept. I was used to hearing and watching ghost stories on TV but never thought I would experience an actual haunting. But then reality sank in and I asked myself "It can't be all in my head because I'm not the only one who has seen things. Chuy and even Aunt Delia said they've seen shadows walk by doorways. And the whole Hallway and Couch incidents... Those really did happen..." I guess we all at one point had doubts but it wasn't until someone else, not a member of the family, had an experience.

Another year had passed. Around spring 2007 my boyfriend, Vince, had come over to my grandma's house to eat. Chuy had made some food. I had told Vince about my grandma's house and that it was haunted. He was interested because he too had seen some pretty creepy unexplainable things at his cousin's house when he was young. But that day the idea of my grandma's house being haunted escaped his mind. I made him sit down at the end of the kitchen table on purpose. I ate quietly and didn't mention anything like "look into the hallway" or "do you see anything?" I waited until we were at my house. In my room we started talking about school. We were high school seniors so we were counting down the days. I then asked him if he had seen anything at my grandma's house. I was surprised at his response. "Yes!" He told me he would see a dark shadow in the hallway and every time he looked it was getting closer and closer. It was unsettling to him so he just looked away. When he looked back into the hallway the shadow was gone.

He also told me he knew something was in the hallway because it would disappear and then reappear. I was excited that Vince saw something; Vince was still a bit creeped out. What puzzled me was the fact it was "dark" instead of "white". Vince concluded that if it was my grandma, since she knows my family, she appears white to us, but because she doesn't know him, she appeared dark as in trying to say What are you doing in my house?

Vince had another encounter with my grandma in May 2007, a few months after his previous sighting. It was Memorial Day and my friends and I were going to the Island (South Padre Island. It's about 30 minutes from where we live so we can come and go as we wish). My friend, Becky, was going to pick me and Vince up at my grandma's house since she lives close by. While we were waiting for Becky in the living room, I went to the kitchen to get water for the short trip, leaving Vince alone on the couch. He had just gotten out of bed and was still waking up. When I came back into the living room Vince looked confused. I sat next to him and asked what's wrong. He told me he saw someone in white on the other end of the couch. I was shocked. It had been a while since I've seen the white figure, then all of a sudden Vince sees it. He also told me he thought it was me, but when he saw me coming from the kitchen... Then who was on the couch next to him? He also said the figure looked as if it was staring at him to see how he was. I laughed and reassured him that it was my grandma and that it's good that she appeared to him in "white" instead of "dark". That must mean she likes him.

As of today, my grandma's house still has a few strange unexplainable experiences happen. I have yet to see my grandma fully appear before us but my family concludes that the white figure we see is indeed my grandma. But because there'll be months when nothing happens and then we'll see something a few days later, but then it'll be quiet for another good few months... We also conclude that my grandma pays us visits every so often, letting us know she's watching over us and her house.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BlueDemon150, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
Obviously, something is going on because you all have seen things. Why there are periods of activity and then nothing for a while may mean its a visiting spirit. If your grandmother was attached to her home it's probably her. Also sounds like there may be more than one spirit. A friend of mine had 2 spirits in their apartment one was good the other was not. One appeared as a grayish white form while the malevolent one was black. The white one would be around most when someone in the family was sick. The black one tended to hang out in the long hallway that you had to enter to get into the living room from the front entrance. While the black one did startle people it didn't hurt anyone. They finally got a medium who came to the apartment and told them they indeed had 2 spirits and neither wanted to leave. They would find coins left on a dresser moved or a watch or ring left on a nightstand in one room would be on another table in another room. The clocks would be turned back or ahead all the time and the spirit would change the channels on the radio to classical music when we were listening to a rock station. It would get cold on a hot day in July in the living room and the curtains were known to blow around when there was no windows opened and no drafts happening. They stayed there for about 2yrs and got use to the activity. When I stayed there with my friend I would make her stay in the bathroom with me until I got my shower because you always felt like you were not alone in that place. I would say why is this clock 2 hours fast and her mom would say that darn spirit moved it again and I just fixed the right time a little while ago. They didn't seem to be too upset by it after they realized what it was and just didn't think much of it after a while but it would unnerve me to no end.
RoseForEmily (34 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
It may be more than just your grandmother there, but I suppose it's nice to know she's still there, watching over you guys and her house.
Taking care of things no matter what.
After reading ChrisB's comment, maybe she is lost, or maybe she chose to stay there. Maybe she wants to remain in a place where she was the happiest. Where her family still is.

Thanks for sharing your story, hope to read more from you.

=)
Sadie
BlueDemon150 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-08)
Thank You everyone for your comments. 😁 It's nice getting feedback and suggestions.
I'm very surprised you all picked up on my Grandma's close bond to her house. She was in deed close to it.
As for the other suggestion about other spirits...well...this may come to a surprise but my grandma's house served as funeral home at one time. Back in the old days, my mom told me, before funeral homes, people would use their house. The body would be placed in one of the rooms and people would go visit... Just like a funeral home.
I don't know how many funerals my grandma's house hosted, but for sure it did for my mom's uncle. Very interesting and a bit creepy.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-08)
I would agree with Rhodes. It sounds as if you may have more than one entity that is visiting your grand mothers house. While it certainly sounds as if your grand mother is visiting to look in on her family and home, there is no reason to think there may not be others joining her, also, although you may not see or hear them in a while, it does not mean they are not present. They choose not to be acknowledged.

I would, however, like to suggest that when and if you notice the presence, make sure to ask 'it' (for lack of a better word) if 'it' is at peace and has crossed to the light. You want to make sure your grand mother has found her peace she so greatly deserves.

Thanks for sharing your story!
God Bless!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-08)
BlueDemon welcome and thanks for sharing your experience.

Your interpretation as to the identity of the shadow sounds interesting but I have another suggestion. Based on your description of the events and especially about the "conversations" you and your family heard, maybe you're not dealing with one entity at grandma's.

I don't see a reason for your grandma to be the dark figure since according to many, dark shadows are entities that lack progression into the light. That can be caused either because they are uncertain as to the fact that they have died, or confused or they may have unfinished business and, thus, be afraid to cross over. The spirits who have not successfully crossed are those, once humans, who haven't been successful in understanding the truth and, fully, reviewing their lives.

For that, I suspect that there's someone in that house maybe someone related to your grandmother who hasn't managed to reach the light and needs help.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-08)
Thank you for sharring this very interesting story with us. I realy liked reading it. I believe your grandmother is at your home. I have a feeling that she might not be there just to say hello but she is attached to that place. Did she realy like that place. Was she attached to it? I mean I think she doesn't want to leave but I think she should. I think she should cross over to a better place. I hope I'm wrong and she realy is just coming by and saying hello but if shes lost then maybe there will be a time that she will never be able to cross over. I hope I haven't offended you in any way? I just got that feeling while I was reading. I hope to hear from you soon and take care

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: