You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The House on Kimberly St

Real Ghost Stories

The House on Kimberly St

 

When I was in the 5th grade my family and I moved into a nice house in a nice neighborhood in Mount Airy, NC. All of the neighbors were very friendly and there were a lot of other kids for me and my 2 younger sisters to play with. About 2 months after we moved in we started finding bobby pins through out the house. Bobby pins don't sound scary, but when no one in the house uses them, you wonder where they are coming from. We would find them in the beds at night after my mom had changed the sheets and everything.

Things started getting scary for me about 3 months after we moved in. The entrance to the attic was in my closet and as I lay in bed at night, I would hear scratching noises that sounded like they were coming from the ceiling. I would call my parents in there and my dad assured me that it was just a squirrel or something that had gotten stuck up there.

When we would wake up in the mornings, my sisters and I would get in trouble for leaving the refrigerator door or cabinet doors open. The only problem was that none of us had gotten up in the night to leave them open. The radio in the living room would cut on by itself, normally when one of us kids were in the house by ourselves.

The incident that finally changed my parents way of thinking came one Halloween night (I know it sounds cliche). My sisters and I were all out trick or treating with our friends and my parents were there handing out candy to the kids. The front door led into the living room and then there was a side door that led into the kitchen. There was a bar that separated the kitchen from the living room. Anyway, the front door was open and the side door was shut and locked. At about 8:30 pm, the door to the kitchen opened up and in walked our cat. Both of my parents looked at each other and one went out the front door and the other out the side door. They met around the back of the house to find no one there.

The next day, they asked our neighbor who had the spare key to the house how that was a funny trick she had played on them. She had no idea what they were talking about because she had been out of town since the morning before and had just gotten home. Needless to say, we moved about a month later and I have never been back to that house.

It does not seem like a scary thing now, but it was frightening when you are 11 years old. Thank you for taking the time to read this and if anyone knows about this house please get in touch with me. I have always wanted to know if others had some of the same incidents we had when we lived there.

Other hauntings by bette31

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bette31, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mattg1982 (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-26)
sorry just asking
My sister live on Kimberly street and has had some encounters was just asking is all
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-04-19)
mattg1982 - we request our members do not provide exact addresses, especially if it is a residence. I don't think many people would appreciate strangers coming to their home, even driving by, because someone has had an experience there. And just because one person, or even two, had a shared experience doesn't mean others who may live in that home will have a paranormal experience. I'm sure you can understand.

If a house number is given, it will be deleted.
mattg1982 (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-19)
what house number do you remember atleast were the house was located my sister lives on Kimberly st
Mickey (6 stories) (13 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-06-23)
hey this is a neat story that you have here. I got your comment on one of my stories and I just wanted to say that this happened about 10 years ago, and yes, other stuff has happened in my house.
cupcake10132 (4 stories) (193 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-14)
I know, I even asked my mom, she didn't care about what I did with them and suggested maybe I threw it away by accident. But she swore she didn't do anything. So I'm not really sure about it, like I said, I guessed it might have been a little relation. Plus my dad always went straight to bed once he got home, so it couldn't have been him. But whatever happened, I still havn't gotten over it.
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-11)
I no longer live in Mt Airy, we moved in when I was in the 5th grade and moved out when I was still in the 5th grade.
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-11)
Good story. I live in Winston-Salem, being that Mt. Airy is 45 minute from me, I have def heard of paranormal activity up there. Do you still live there?
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
Thanks you for all the wonderful feed back!:) The house I live in now is not haunted in any way. My kids and I have lived here for over 2 years and nothing interesting has happened.

Tonith- It is funny that you mention poltergeist because my friend Wendy had me freaked out because she told me that when you turn 13 that is when the poltergeist come to your house and start "doing things". I was petrified about my next birthday. There were lots of strange things that happened in the neighborhood as a whole, not just my house. I will be sharing some more of those experiences with you!
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
cupcake I hate to break it to you but maybe your mother just thought enough was enough and the ends of the blankies just had to go. As for the story related sounds like the place was indeed haunted. Doors don't unlock themselves and bobbypins don't just show up when no one in the house uses them. For some people in haunted places their clocks get turned around or coins go missing or jewlery ends up in strange places but for whatever reason your's like bobbypins. If I came downstairs and found fridge open drawers and cabinets opened I would be freaked out being that its only hubby and me and the cats living here. But even when my kids did live at home they wouldn't have done that because they just knew better.I'm sure you guys did too but mom and dad just thought it was kids being careless. The thought of a poltergeist never crossed their minds. I know preteen kids can have a lot of kinetic energy but hard to say if this was the reason for the cabinets being opened. Reminds me of that scene in The Sixth Sense when the mother leaves the kitchen for a minute and comes back to her child sitting eating ceral and all the cupboards and drawers are opened. Also a scene in the Poltergiests movies where the chairs are in a pyramid shape stacked upon one another with no one but a 3 year old in the kitchen. Very scary stuff. Maybe its a good thing you moved, but it didn't seem to be a malevolent spirit just one that wanted some attention.
RoseForEmily (34 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
About the part on Halloween night, it doesn't sound very cliche, in my religion, Halloween is the day when the veil between this world and the spirit world is the thinnest.
I really liked this story, the things that happened were very freaky. The thing I found most peculiar was the bobby pins, sounded as if the ghost was leaving you guys a trail to follow.

Anyway thanks for sharing this story with us.
Sadie
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
I would disagree with one point you made in thi story, you indicated it doesn't sound scary... On the contrary! When there are occurances happening near or around you, it is terrifying! I have found that generally those that say situations and happenings like this are no big deal or that they would not bother them have never had any experiences or they aren't sure exactly how they would react.

It certainly sounds like what ever or who ever was in your house definitely wanted to be noticed.

It also sounds as if they were (and are) fond of cats, seeing as how they so graciously opened the door to let your cat in. (Sorry, that was my pathetic attempt at humor 😁)

Thank you for sharing your story with us!

God Bless!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
Interesting story bette31 for sure.

There must have been something there but unfortunately, I can't tell who/what it was and what it might have wanted athough it seems that you were dealing with a mischievious spirit at times.

The events you describe can be a number of things but, not having lived in that house for long, it would be tough to say.

I have a question though... Do you experience anything paranormal in your present house?
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
I liked this story. It was simple and to the point. Very well written. Thanks for sharring this interesting story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
cupcake10132 (4 stories) (193 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-09)
Yes, some defintly have, but I havn't. Wounderful story though! Keep posting us of your experinces please. Man, it must've been a bit weird haveing all those bobby pins show up randomly, well I guess I had something simerler happen. Instead it was tooken away. I was around 4 years old and I had these blankies I loved SOOO dearly! I tugged them everywhere, one had sheep on it, the othere eeroy, and the third I don't remeber, anyways they were like my best friends! Soon they became scraps and I had only a small square from my sheep blankie, I had it on my fake washer and the next morning when I awoke, it was gone. I NEVER got over it. Even to this day I miss that little scrap of fabric.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: