You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Old Castle Farm

Real Ghost Stories

Old Castle Farm

 

This is my first story so I apologize if I go on a bit or the punctuation isn't up to scratch. Its hard to focus on one story because there are so many, I will be posting more, hopefully, however they may not be in order but I will try to explain them properly.

I have had many experiences through my life but by far the most "active" ones have been recently. In the beginning of 2006 I was told I had partial kidney failure and I had to have quite a few operations, during that time my mom and step dad kindly asked if I'd like to move in with them and my five younger brothers so they could help look after me and my three year old daughter while my partner was at work. Thinking it would make things easier we agreed and moved in with them. Not long after virtually everybody in the house had some sort of experience.

I should also tell you that the house is called Old Castle Farm and is situated in a very small village that is more of a hamlet really as there are only twelve other houses around. Our house dates back to the 15th century and still has the original beams in the original part, since the house was built it has been extended a few times. The bedroom that myself, partner and daughter moved into was in the original part of the house. The door way to my bedroom is tiny and at 5ft2 I still have to duck to get through. Opposite my bedroom door and also in my youngest brothers bedroom are priest holes. I have been told that these priest holes were used to hide priests.

During the first couple of weeks living there I saw shadows, heard voices, footsteps, the kitchen chairs sliding across the floor in the early hours of the morning, during the day when everyone was at work or school it sounded like people where walking around upstairs or opening dresser draws, which can all be explained somehow, such as its just the age of the house, echoing, my imagination etc. But I've also heard wind chimes a lot and we don't have any.

One day after just getting out of the bath my daughter came running into the bathroom "mommy there's a man in our bedroom" bare in mind we are alone in the house, I start to panic thinking someone has broken in, and I'm stuck as to get out of the house I'd need to go past my bedroom where this man is. So grabbing my daughter I crept down the landing to the point where I could see my bedroom door. I could see into the main part of the bedroom but it was empty and I couldn't hear anything except the birds outside and my own heart beat. I slowly crept forward so I could see further into my bedroom, there was no one in there.

So I actually went into the room still holding onto my daughter, the room was empty and no one had come out of there otherwise I would have seen them. Putting my daughter down I went to check under the bed, just in case, "he's behind the door mommy" the only thing is that when the door is open it actually rests virtually against the wall so I knew nobody was behind there. Suddenly my daughter runs out of the room down the corridor to the top of the stairs laughing "quickly mommy we have to catch him" this was the first time my daughter saw this man, unfortunately it wasn't the last and I'm not sure whether its the same person that she see's because now she won't go upstairs on her own even during the day.

There have been a few times that we'll be walking down the hallway upstairs and she'll stop in her tracks and the look on of fright on her face... It scares me.

Old Castle Farm 1
Old Castle Farm 2
Old Castle Farm 3
Old Castle Farm 4
 
Old Castle Farm 5
Old Castle Farm 6
 

Other hauntings by LeanneScott999

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LeanneScott999, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-26)
Did any one saw a face of a ghost in the 4th picture? I thought I saw one because there is an oval gray spot at the top right hand corner of the picture. If any one sees it, tell it to all...
littlelaura33 (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-18)
Very cool story Leannescott999,
IT COULD BE THAT SOMEONE HAS DIED IN THAT HOUSE AS RECENTLY AS BEFORE YOUR PARENTS MOVED IN OR EVEN LONG BEFORE. IS YOUR HOSE NEAR A CHURCHYARD OR ANY WHERE NEAR AN OLD BURIEL GROND? VERY INTERESTING ❤
LeanneScott999 (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-14)
Hi libertybelle and Biemaster, I have tried to look up the history of the house on the net but haven't really found much other than an old map dating back to the 1500's and all that showed was the house and the church at the bottom of the road. I have been having trouble as according to the doomsday book the village has changed its name a couple of times. The village at present is called Middleton Scriven and is located in the west Midlands.

Before I moved in my parents didn't say much about it being haunted or say anything about any experences that they'd had, although my brothers who are younger than me (im 23) have said they have seen and heard things, but I've felt things in there since the first night. The house seems to have an "opressive" atmosphere in certain rooms 😢

If anyone can give me any tips about how to go about doing a proper search they would be greatly received 😉
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-14)
Whoa really spooky story! It really got me scared! I suggest you look up at the history og the house. Oh and one more thing! Before you moved in with your mom and step dad, did they have the same experiences which you had? Or did they have similar experiences? And what about yor brothers? Did they have any experiences?
Biemaster
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-13)
Very interesting, Leanne--and it must be intriguing to live in a house so old (we don't have any buildings that old here in the States 😆!).

I know that the northern part of England was a stronghold of adherence to the Catholic faith--is your home located in that general area, by chance?

As to what your little girl saw, I wonder if the "granddad" figure might have been a somewhat older priest, perhaps one who got on well with little ones? As for what frightened her so badly, it could have been a somewhat sterner-looking individual--or possibly (if the house was ever raided) an official of some sort looking for evidence of clandestine practice of Catholicism. Many "priest-hunters" were far from being above questioning and intimidating children when it came to accomplishing their mission.

By the way, have you had the opportunity to research the history of the house itself? I think that could be a big help to understanding why some of this phenomena is taking place. You may uncover a lot more than hiding priests, especially in a place dating back to the 1400's!
LeanneScott999 (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-13)
While walking past one of the preist holes at night it feels as if someone is watching you. I always get an image of an old man in a brown robe with a big hood but its in my "minds eye" so I'm not sure its anything other than my immagination?

Ive asked my daughter what the "funny man" looks like and she said he looks like a grandad 😆 I haven't asked her what else she can see but have told her to come and tell me if she see's anything else.
LeanneScott999 (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-13)
TO KimSouthO in the 1500's preists weren't allowed to practice their faith so had to do it in secret, usually meeting at someones house where friends and neighbours gathered. If they were caught by the soldiers they were punsihed, usually with hanging.

The enterance to the holes are very small, you literally have to get on your hands and knees and crawl through. Back in the 1500's the enterance was usually covered with wood or a fake wall, if I figure out how to get photo's on here I will put some on. On the other side they are quite big, well big probably isn't the right word but in comparisson to many of the holes I've read about they are, the room inside is probably 2meters wide by 2.5 meters long and height is probably about 1.5 meters.

My brothers and parents have had a few experiences to and ill post them seperatly
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-13)
Welcome!

Scary story! Yikes lol I may not be able to sleep tonight. Lol

I have been having kidney problems for a few years and the doctors still don't know what's wrong... Hope things are going good and I can't wait to hear your next story! 😆
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-12)
Leanne, the mirrors are called
Bu Gua mirrors (mum told me) which means 8 trigrams. Make sure that when you purchase it, ask if it's for outside use.

Cause you are not allowed to use it for inside, if you want to use it for inside your home, ask for one that's for the inside.

=] You can buy it an any chinese store...
Just make sure the guy is Asian - Sorry but other nationalities selling Asian stuff don't know sh*t about it, and will just say anything to make a sale. 😐
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-12)
Thank you for sharing your story. Have you asked your daughter what these "men" look like? That may give you some idea of what type of spirit you are dealing with.

Good luck and keep us posted.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-12)
Hi LeanneScott999,
Welcome to our site.
I think you have made a very good observation. I also think that this story tells of at least two men who are still in the home. As your daughter was LAUGHING as she ran towards the stairs, it would sound to me as if THAT man was playing with her. And as she has a frightened look, at times, I would say that there may be a separate entity that frightens her.
I would say that there are many priests that have that stern look that seems to put children on their best behavior. Another thought on that would be that as you have a home in which the Priest holes are still intact, there may be a bit of residual energy still lurking in their depths.
In the mid 1500's there was a huge uprising against the Catholic church, and the Priests took the brunt of all that activity. They were persecuted for their faith, and punishment for them was swift and severe. It was not uncommon for the castles in England to come equipped with these hiding places in order to protect the religion, and the religious peoples that served the Catholic Church. It was considered high treason to go against the Oath of Supremacy, and death would result to those who did not follow it's laws.
I would say that it was probably not unheard of for one of these protected people with in the Priest holes to have died due to lack of air, or perhaps even starvation. There were times when they must have remained in seclusion for an extended period of time. All I can think is that these men of the cloth MUST have had a deep and meaningful relationship with their Higher Power to remain in an occupation that spelled certain death at the time.
It would be no wonder that a few of them still wander the home.
Thank you.
seabird (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-12)
Hi Leanne,
Great story! I was really intrigued by the 'priest holes'. I can't even imagine how frightened you must have been when your daughter came to tell you there was a man in the house! Thanks for sharing! - Christine
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-12)
Leanne,
Welcome to the site!

What a wonderful story, and also quite frightening. 'He is behind the door mommy' and 'quick, we have to catch him', wow, that sent chills down my spine! Whew!

Have your parents or brothers mentioned experiences as well?

Why were preists hidden in the 'priest holes'? And, about how large is a priest hole? Is it like a closet or something?

I would start by placing a cross, at least one, in every room, especially the bed rooms. Tell 'them' it is okay to cross over, to go to the light and be with the Lord.

I looke forward to hearing more about htis fascinating home.

God Bless!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-12)
Hi leanne. Thank you for sharring this very interesting story with us. I would also like to welcome you to this Crazy community 😜.Im just kidding. Now back to this story. I believe that there are places that have a very rich history. And the UK belongs to one of them. Your home is indeed very old and there probably were different events there. I believe that the reason your daughter sees this entity is because of her age. Young children have the ability to see what sometimes we dont. I think your daughter does not have an imaginary friend! Try speaking about this with your daughter. Ask her about the man if he saying something to her or how he looks like. I hope you share your next stories with us soon. I hope to hear from you soo and take care
LeanneScott999 (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-12)
Hi ominousnyxx

lol I was really freaked out when she said that to.

As for the mirrors I'll have to give them a go. My grandad is really into the Native American Indians and for years he has been making things that they used to as a hobby then as a profession, he made me a spirit wheel which we hung in the the second living room where my brothers play and most of the "Activity" is, it worked for awhile until my brothers were wrestling and manage to break it 😠
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-12)
"he's behind the door mommy"

THAT MAKE ME SHUDDER! Eeessh!
That is scary._..." You should put some chinese things, those mirrors - outside of your house, it captures evil spirits and repels good ones.

(So I was told)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: