You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Grim Reaper Type of Entity

Real Ghost Stories

Grim Reaper Type of Entity

 

In the summer of 1996, I was sharing an apt in Huntington, WV. My roommate and I were having similar experiences but didn't discuss it to each other until I had the scariest moment of my life, supernaturally. What led up to my experience was on different occasions, my roommate and I were having something tapping our feet when we slept.

I was sleeping on the couch downstairs one night after falling asleep watching a late night movie. At the end of the couch where my feet were I kept feeling a thud. Like something was hitting the end of the couch where my feet were. This happened a few times on different late nights. Later, my roommate confided she had something smack her bare feet at night while asleep.

One evening, arriving home after work at the local pawn shop where I was a secretary, I walked into the apt and no one was home. So, I walked through the kitchen where the answering machine was located to check the messages. Something in the apt felt "off" to me like something in the room felt "weird". Like someone was there even no one was physically "there". I can't really put it into words. I checked the machine and had my back turned. All of sudden, something or someone tapped me very hard three times on my right shoulder. Frightened, I didn't dare to turn around. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw what looked like a long bony finger with three raised bony knuckles. The apparition was kind of cartoon-ish in that it was blue and green but real bright. I stood still and really didn't know what to do. Then I heard a voice that haunts me to this day. 'NOBODY'S HOME' it said in a deep guttural angry tone. Calmly, but with the hair on the back of my neck standing up, I walked through the living room and went upstairs to the bedroom and locked the door.

About an hour later, my roommate arrived home. I called down to her in a frightened yet excited voice and told her what happened. Being the accepting ghostly kind of person she is, she believed me and recounted our feet experiences that evening.

To this day, I think about what happened to me and it scares me to death. It never bothered me again and I try not to think about it too much to give it energy to come back for another visit. Whatever it was, seemed very large and very tall. I felt it was about 7 feet tall standing behind me and black. Almost like a grim reaper type of thing. And it felt very evil.

Other hauntings by Brook

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from West Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Brook, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Darktiger (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-24)
You know the Reaper isn't evil. Nor is Darkness. The Reaper is what's known as a psychopomp. It helps the souls of the things that have just died move on, it has no control of death. Darkness is looked at as evil because people fear the unknown. Darkness is the unknown.It's misunderstood.
ReganV (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-07)
I am glad to see your response with greenish / blush.

My entity was about 7ft tall, touched the ceiling of our house, and was as wide as the hallway.

I was in a weird semi conscious state, my alarm went off, and it was about four hours earlier than it was programmed for. I looked down the hall to the living room, and seen this black wispy figure in the hall. He illuminated a bluish green, looked at me and pointed. When he pointed my whole life, negative and positive, floated before my eyes. Every wrong I had done, and every wrong that had been done to me.

When my alarm went off again, because I had hit snooze, he dissipated like smoke, like black exhaust, floated up and disappeared.
sagemizu (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-11)
It probably wasn't the Grim Reaper but just a reminder that nobody was home at that time.
Brook (3 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-01)
Thanks for all your comments! WoW! 😊 😊
The entity wasn't caused by fatigue or imagination. I firmly believe what happened - happened to me. It scares me to this day. I shortly moved out of there about 6 months later. The Grim Reaper reference is because of the size of this thing. It reminded me of the typical Grim Reaper characters in movies. It felt very large and ominous behind me at least 7 feet tall. And the physical tapping on my right shoulder was very real indeed. And the voice was LOUD. What I saw as a bluish-green finger is what I saw. It was and and still is what I consider the closest experience I've had to the spirit realm. But of the evil kind. And I don't know why. I really don't know why it happened to me. I'm very glad that I can finally share it with you.
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-27)
Well,if it's really evil, why didn't you read out the holy bible sentences? You are really confusing to me because the entity you saw was a little bit cartoonish and coloured with blue and green lights. That is the part where I don't get because spirits rarely have blue or green lights surrounding them, but this one seems to have both.

I find this story amusing, and exciting...
Axl_the_Hunter (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-21)
Pretty interesting, in my years of seeing and containing ghosts I never heard of the Grim Reaper showing himself in person, but he only appears if some one is dying or dead, to claim their soul's, if you or your roommate arent dying don't worry, but if a family member from either you or your roommate is going to die or is really ill warn them.
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-19)
Very cool story! This will be going into my faves!
I would not have turned around either! But I WOULD have got the Hell outta there! 😨
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-18)
Don't know about a grim reaper but it's possible something was there with you. I am assuming you heard this audibly or internally? As far as seeing a manifestation of bony fingers you kind of lose me there. Could have been imagination due to fright. Why do people think a locked door will be of any value to an apparition? That's our human reaction for protection and it's normal to do so but when you think about it, it's nonsensical too. A locked door to a spirit is nothing. It didn't follow you into your bedroom but don't think it had anything to do with a locked door. I think the entity got what it wanted. Fear. That was all it wanted. I guess if people can be real idiots when alive they can be so when dead as well.
GhostGal (6 stories) (104 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-16)
Iron_Maiden_88,

actually, sometimes you can just tell that they are evil by the presence. For instence, if you read my story, I believe I have something in my house. But I don't feel as if its evil. Although it scares me half to death, I don't believe that it is going to trually hurt me. SOmetimes atleast...
Iron_Maiden_88 (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-16)
I have a question to all you ghost experts...- do ghosts only feel evil because we are scared?

great story btw:)
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-16)
Wow. That is certainly suprising that you had no further encounters with the beings or the tapping after seeing 'it'. Perhaps it was the fact that you did not react--that sent it back to where it came from.

To ominousnyxx,
I don't believe the writer of this story stated that they perceived this entity to be the angel ofdeath. This story is told to explain what she saw and how it felt.

The angel of death is not evil, it is a messenger and also a guide to the other side, to be with our Lord. However, no one can be faulted for fearing death and the unknown.

Thank you for sharing your story.

God Bless!
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-16)
Whoa that really freaked me out! I understand how you must have felt. But are you sure you weren't imagining things? Maybe, as you were tired, you must have just imagined the whole thing? It happenes to me many times. And have you had any more experiences elsewhere or in that same apartment?
Biemaster
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-16)
wow that is scary. I understand why you didn't turm around. I too would be scared like hell. Thanks for sharring this story with us. Has there ever been any other incidents in that apartment? I hope to hear from you soon and take care
ReganV (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-15)
I had a very similiar entity come to me. But mine wasn't bluish/greenish.
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-15)
One thing you need to know
"Death" or "Grim Reaper" is neither good or evil. They are here to keep the balance of the universe. We need death to keep us in order. Don't hate or fear Death, he's not here to harm you, he's like a messenger.

Angel of Death (why would anyone perceive him as a skeletal being?) for one, I think the Angel of Death is an angelic being not a dark sinister type demon!
RoseForEmily (34 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-15)
That is so scary.
I would have fainted, and than moved out immediately from that place.
Are you still living there?
This will have me scared all night now.

-Sadie
LeanneScott999 (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-15)
Very scary! I'll probably thinking about this tonight when I go to bed, ill have to make sure I tuck my feet up, I don't how how you could go up to your room lol I would have been straight out of the front door 😆 Thank for sharing though

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: