You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Haunted Childhood

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Childhood

 

Growing up it seemed to me that a lot of strange things happened around me, especially in my house. The first really strange experience I had was when I was four or five years old. I was lying in bed, unable to sleep, when I heard a woman start to sing a lullaby. I sat up and looked around, but my room was empty. The only TV in my home was at the other side of the house, so I'm pretty sure that is not what I heard. I don't remember know how the singing made me feel. Although I was so young at the time that I can't be 100% certain that the experience was not a dream, I believe it really happened.

A year or two after that another strange thing happened in my room. When I was young I always slept with a light on. Often I would sleep under my blanket, because I liked the way the light shone through the blanket. One night as I was lying like that, I became certain that someone was sitting beside my bed looking at me. I knew it wasn't one of my parents because my door squeaked when it opened so I would have heard them. As I lay under my blanket I began to think it was a "grandmother" in my room. I think that was because I had recently had dreams about my Dad's Mother who died before I was born. After awhile it felt like someone touched my arm through the blanket, then the feeling of being watched disappeared. I stayed under the blanket and fell asleep, but gave my parents a lot of trouble at bedtimes for a long time after.

As I grew up, things always seemed a little "off" in my house. My bedroom is at the end of a hallway, the living room is at the other end, and a bathroom is in between the two. Whenever I walked down the hallway to my room, it always felt like someone was behind me, watching from the living room. It never really bothered me during the day when all the lights were on and the sun was shining, but if I ever had to get up in the night to use the washroom after everyone else was in bed and the lights were off, I would be terrified of the presence I felt at the other end of the hall. It was bad enough that until I was about ten, I would have to bring my doll with me. When I was a teenager, and would stay up after my parents, I would still feel as though I was being watched whenever I finally stumbled off to bed.

Most of the events that happened to me as a child were sounds or feelings. I often heard people walking around or the sounds of someone putting something on a table or counter, in areas of the house that were empty. Our kitchen had a screen door that went outside to a porch. This door made a loud "screeeech" whenever it was opened or closed. A number of times I heard that noise when there was no one at the door. Once it happened when I was standing right in front of the door so I was able to see for certain there was no one else about. Strangely, this never frightened me like the presence or footsteps did. For some reason I was certain the door noises were "memories" of me or a family member from a summer in the past. I don't know if that makes sense or not, just that it didn't feel like a "real" thing like the presence in the living room.

If that was all that ever happened to me, I would probably think now that it was an overactive imagination, but the year I went into grade eight, things started to get really weird. That year my friend Annie and I became really interested in ghosts. We would read scary stories, watch scary movies and anything else we could find that had to do with ghosts. A lot of this interest came from the fact we had begun to believe we were being haunted. It started at school. We would be in class and feel icy cold breezes move past us. Sometimes it would only be in a small area, like on a shoulder or the back of your neck. We didn't think much about it until one day Annie came to school and told me "I was researching ghosts online, and they say cold spots are a sign of ghosts!" That scared us.

Another day Annie told me she had woken up in the night and at the end of her bed there was a tall, white, glowing figure. Her blankets were also at the end of her bed (it was the middle of summer) but she reached down and pulled them over her head. She said they were freezing. Around the same time, I was sitting in my living room reading. I would read a bit, than look out the window, since I like to watch the birds.

One time when I looked out I saw someone walk behind a tree in my neighbours yard. It wasn't a very big tree so I assumed it must have been my neighbour who is elderly and quite thin. But as I kept watching, the person never walked by the other side from the tree. I haven't been able to find an explanation for it.

Some time after that Annie came to sleep at my place. My family had been renovating our house, so Annie and I slept in the new living room. At the time the only furniture in the room was a couch, a small round table, and a shelf. The couch was in the middle of the room with its back to the doorway (which had no door) and the table was beside the couch. I slept on the floor and Annie slept on the couch. That night, as I was drifting off, I saw some weird things. Every time I looked towards the doorway that went to the rest of the house, it looked like someone was just pulling away. At the time I assumed it was my eyes playing tricks on me since I was so tired. However the next morning Annie asked if my parents had come to check on us in the night. She had heard footsteps coming up to the door, but never heard them leave. That was strange, but what really scared us was the table. The night before Annie had put an almost full cup of water on the table. That morning, the table was upside down on the other side of the room. The cup was empty, on the floor right side up, directly underneath where the table had been. There was no water on the floor, and this was right by my head. Neither of us had been woken up by this.

These strange things kept happening to us until we were around 16-17 and then seemed to calm down. Since reading this site I have noticed it is believed that teenage girls can attract poltergeists. I would like people's opinions on if they think that might have been what happened. Thanks for taking the time to read my long-winded story. If you have questions I'll try to answer them. It may take a day or two though, since I'm coming up to finals and have to study. (And I used to think ghosts were scary!)

W.

Other hauntings by wanderer

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, wanderer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-21)
The table thing could have been your friend's doing but again that's a big if. I do believe teens have a lot of kinetic energy they are not aware of. Do they attract spirits? Possibly. Also when remodeling it may upset what is there and it wanted you to know it was upset. I was up in my attic recently and felt like someone tapped me on the upper arm. I wasn't freaked I was just like was that a nerve spasm or what? I have had that happen in my life but rarely. I live in a very old house. It's 122 years old. I figure something has to be here but outside of some sounds I can't explain, an encounter with a being that was outlined in twinkle lights that I saw after being asleep 2 hrs. And woke because I felt something was staring at me (I tend to doubt anything that happens while waking from sleep) the house is peaceful with a good vibe. It was a convent for 40 years also. We have done so much contruction that if that's what brought about activity I should be inundated with it and I am not. I have thought of using a recorder or digital cam in the attic but I don't want to encourage any kind of activity. My husband works graveyard 2 wks out of every month and it's just me and the cats here. I have heard wood creaking but again it's an old house. I have never heard anything coming from the attic. Our bedroom is right below the attic and if I heard footsteps or anything like that I would be freaked out. I never have. The people that owned it before us did have a son die in a drowning but no one to my knowledge died in the house. But then again I don't know all its history. We are only the 4th owners.
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-21)
Hi Ohiowatha. I agree that a lot of what happened seems like overactive imagination. As I grew up I did try to write the experiences off as only that. What changed my mind was when I left home to go to college. Where I have been living the past year hasnt the slightest hint of a haunting. I hadnt realized pervasive these feelings/sounds/touches had been in my life until they were gone. I have just come back to my parents house for the summer and those weird things are still happening here. As for you asking "what do I know?" I have read some of your stories and comments and you seem to know a good deal about paranormal stuff, don't put yourself down 😁
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-21)
Hey nice story! I really liked it! Don't worry, things happen when you are of that age, I just turned 13 and (even if nothing happened to me before) I have started experiencing many things. It is nothing if you are a girl or a boy but when you said that girls attract polterigists, a thought came into my mind. Even I realized that even if I have a big brother (18) he doesn't feel or hear things but I do (I am a girl). I would suggest that you do a research on the house you are living in. But one thing is there, if it happened to you in school or in your friend's house, it means that a ghost or a poltergist is attached or"stuck" to you. Don't worry at all (well only a little 😜). As long as it doesn't hurt you or do anything to you, you needn't get scared! Please keep informing us about anymore experiences you have or any ocurrences. I wish you all the best!
Biemaster
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-20)
Personally, I don't see anything in these stories to merit supernatural activity. Feelings of being watched by someone interested in the paranormal can be more projection than detection. People often see what they want to see.

The upturned table would seem like evidence of something supernatural going on, but then again, you never know what your friend was up to while you slept. Then again, maybe something was indeed trying to contact you.

What do I know?
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-20)
Thanks for the comment mpgb216. I have to say, though, that I never felt really brave when these things were happening 😜
mpgb216 (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-20)
hello there...don't worry, what you've experience is just normal... Most of the children can see, feel anything that most of the adults don't experience. You know why it is like that? It's because children have pure hearts and children are more brave than adults. When one is growing up, he/she gets more afraid of the unknown because the heart is not pure anymore. So the best thing to do is read books, understand why ghost and other paranormal beings are showing up. Also from what you just related, you must realize that you're a receiver too that's why you get to experience those things... By the way, even at my age, I still experience poltergeist, you know, the terrible sound like somebody is dragging a coffin or some feet with chain and some doors opening like that from a haunted house... I get to hear those most of the time. The weird thing is, whenever somebody like a friend is inside my house, then those sounds are dead. My boyfriend is the only one who hears the sounds whenever he visits me.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: