You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: House 300

Real Ghost Stories

House 300

 

To make this story easier to follow there are a few things you need to know. My friend Ashlyn, who goes by Ash, is the one that lives close to this house, not me. She also gets scared super easy. And then there's me, I'm Julie; I love scary things, the harmless kind. And I spend a lot of time at Ash's so we go by this house a lot.

Now you're probably wondering what the house I'm talking about is. Me and my friends know it as house 300. Or the creepy house on Ash's block. Or the haunted hazard.

This story starts in the middle of the year in the sixth grade, when I was twelve. My brother just started driving so he could pick me up from school so I wouldn't have to ride the bus. So eventually I got bored of waiting 43 minutes for my brother to come pick me up and me and Ash came up with an idea. Walk with her to her house hang there a bit and walk back to the school. That way I would only have to wait 13 minutes.

I agreed to this idea very quickly, so everyday after school we would walk down to Ash's house. Everyday after school, we would have to walk by the house, house 300. Now at the time I thought nothing of this house. To me it was just an old abandoned house with a bunch of made up ghost stories based on it.

So one cold winter day me and Ash where walking to her house and I decided to walk up on to the porch of house 300 and look inside the windows. Ash reluctantly followed me up the gravel drive way and up the steps.

I looked inside one of the broken windows and saw something move "Dude! Ash! Look, look! There's something in there!" I yelled. She looked and a cat came out the window. She almost fainted. I laughed because it was funny, so I told her we could leave.

On the very edge of the lot I looked back and there was the cat, just standing there. I laughed again and we went back to Ash's.

Inside I finally asked her "Why where you so scared?"

She turned towards me and told me this. "Don't you see? No cats live around here, there are way to many dogs! And that cat, I remember one just like it starved to death on that porch!"

Now after hearing that all the color drained from me. "So what are you saying?" I asked her. Then she told me this story. When she was younger, before she met me she would always ride her bike around the block and one time she got off her bike to fix her chain in front of that house. She looked up at the front door and saw an old man with a cane smiling and waving at her in a kind way. She smiled and waved back. Then she got on her bike and looked back and the man was gone. There was no way he could have moved that quickly! She got on in less than a second!

So after hearing this story I was very reluctant to go by that house to get back to school. But I had to, so I bundled up in my cote and left her house. I walked quicker than normal today and soon enough I was going by that house again. I looked in one of the windows and saw a black mass, darker than everything around it. I ran, no not ran, sprinted away from that house and back to the school as fast as I could.

The weekend came and passed and soon it was Monday again. And I was dying to tell someone what happened. So I told my good fearless friend Tristen everything. He told me that he would check it out this weekend and he would find out what was up.

The rest of the week was boring and un eventful so let's skip to next Monday. By then I was wanting to know what happened so as soon as I got the chance I asked him and he told me his story. After going into the house, through one of the windows, he looked around, it was really dusty and all the furniture was covered by a white cloth. He chuckled seeing no reason why we girls would be afraid. He gave the inside one more scan and came across a pair of glowing yellow eyes. He said he thought it was just a cat or rats eyes.

And at this point I interrupted him, "Tristen cats eyes and rats eyes don't glow..."

After realizing this he went pale and we never spoke of that house again. Until I brought it up when I was sleeping over at Ash's, but that's a whole other story.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jules, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Serenity (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-21)
Just to add a point. Yes, cats eyes do glow in certain lighting conditions, and an abandoned house like that would make a perfect den for stray cats - it's probably full of mice, birds nests and rats for food, and is quiet. I'm not doubting that you believe this happened, but I think maybe you guys just got a bit spooked because of the stories, and the spooky appearance of the house.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-11)
Do I think its possible. I think it is. But cats eyes do glow. I think some things can be explained but I have a feeling that this story is true. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from youi soon and take care
Shellie (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-23)
Hello to all! I think that we will all have differing opinions of this story. But please try to remember that the author is still very much a child. This is an event in her life that had her scared. Probably not thinking through all the different possibilities, but automatically linked it to neighborhood rumors. We all know how those rumor-mills are.
I don't have an opinion one way or the other, just wanted to say please be kind.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-21)
Agrees with Ohio. Too many holes in this story. I have 4 cats and if the light hits their eyes just right they will glow. My blue eyed himalayan eye's glow red while my yellow eyed cat's glows green. Cats are very fast and dogs can't outrun them. Only time the cat is in peril is if the dog corners them and then they will fight like all hell and the dog can get the worst of it.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-21)
hmmmmmmm, I am going with Ohiohwatha on this one. Way to many logical explainations for the occurances out lined in this story.

God Bless!
toastymarshy (3 stories) (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-21)
That's really scary! And if I were you I would wait 43 minutes or so for your brother to pick you up! But if you do carry on going that way then just make sure you don't look at that house again! Oh and you should definitely submit the other story!

toasting marshmallows xx 😊
Undying (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-21)
Wow did not see that coming 😕 you sorta lost me at points I'm not use to that kind of a story. But in other words good job
Jules (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-20)
To Ohiowatha,
I know that cats and dogs do not nessassarly hate eatch outher, you would have to live in the naberhood to understand. The 'girl' Ashlyn did not know about it until it was dead when her older brother Justen noticed it and told her. And yes it did have old furniture, I looked in side my self (threw the window after Tristen went in). The man that used to live there just left it there, I know it is highly HIGHLY improbible but he did not take it with him and there was onley a few peaces of it so it like a chair and a coutch witch where very badly dammaged so it would be worthless to take
And I did not say it was a 'supernatural being' all Tristen said when he went in there it was dark,dusty,gloomy and there where two glowing eyes in the shadows. Then he left the house.
No I do not know what was in that house or what happend, about the man or the eyes or the cat or anything, becose it was reacently torn down.
Thanks for the comment
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-20)
I am skeptical of this story. The writer goes to too much trouble to cement facts and does not rely on simple events to convey the crux of the story.

For instance, to make the readers believe the cat was actually a ghost, we're told that the neighborhood is too full of dogs to even let a cat live there. Unfortunately, this is irrational. While dogs and cats are supposedly "sworn enemies," the idea that cats avoid any area where there are dogs is just silly. Most dogs will bark at anything and most cats can easily avoid dogs. This dynamic between cats and dogs is more out of convenience because they are the two most popular pets rather than some innate hatred between the two species. The writer might as well have said there aren't enough mice in the area to feed cats...

Secondly, it seems unlikely that this girl would be aware of a cat starving to death in her neighborhood, let alone on the very porch of a house that was supposedly haunted. Seems like a pretty convenient coincidence that she was aware of a cat's death in the very spot they eventually saw said cat and, hence, unbelievable.

Thirdly, an abandoned house does not contain furniture. We have all seen in many movies haunted houses with white sheets draped over furniture. These sheets invariably eventually rise from a couch into the shape of an iconic ghost replete with black holes cut in the sheet for eyes. This is one cliche that does not hold up in the real world--when was the last time you saw a house that had been abandoned for years still containing original furniture? It just doesn't happen.

Finally, it is also cliche to enlist the help of another, only to have this person first laugh at your experience, only to then unearth some REAL evidence of a haunting which then leaves the reader in shock. This blunder is furthered by the incorrect assumption that "cat eyes don't glow" because they do reflect light just like a dogs. So the "fact" that Tristen saw a pair of glowing eyes does not imply a supernatural being.

This story reads just like a million urban legends and while it was nice to read, I cannot believe that it tells of a true encounter with anything paranormal. Thank you for sharing, though.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: