You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Shadow People and a Spirit

Real Ghost Stories

Shadow People and a Spirit

 

What happened the last Wednesday night of April, 2008, I will never forget. For starters I will give some background. My girlfriend, Sara, lives with her friend, Jen, in a house. (Names have been changed for protection.) Jen owns the house and has for almost two years. Jen has a very good paying job, is single, and has chosen to pay off the large mortgage faster than is necessary. She is also injured, is unable to work, and so she doesn't get much per month for compensation. On top of all that she is unhappy about work, constantly worries about her life, and exercises, often pushes herself to extreme. She is good person, though, and we all love her.

Her family is of Ukrainian heritage and they go to Ukraine sometimes and it was there, years ago, that Jen brought back with her a spirit of a little girl who looks to have died in the famine of the 1930s in Ukraine. (For more information look up "Stalin, 1930s Ukrainian famine".) This little girl visits Jen in her dreams on a regular basis and it is always a calm dream and never bad or uncomfortable. Lately the spirit has materialized in solid form - both times in the form of my girlfriend.

Wednesday night I was sleeping over at my girlfriend's place. We went to bed at 10pm and fell asleep quickly, as usual. At 12:30 am we were suddenly awoken by Jen screaming outside Sara's room in the basement. She was screaming "Sara! Sara!" over and over again. Sara put on her robe and I quickly followed to see that Jen was on the ground rocking back and forth and saying to herself (or us) "I don't know, I don't know" over and over again. We asked her many times what happened and Jen would alternate between the words "ice ice ice", "I don't know, I don't know" and "thaw thaw thaw". From her one or two word sentences we found out that she had seen something in her room that frightened her.

The phrase "I don't know" referred to that she didn't know why she had seen these things. The word "ice" meant that she was cold all over. And the word "thaw" referred to the fact that she felt like she was thawing. When she was cold she grabbed her Bible and held it close to her stomach. At that point in her body, she felt the Bible warm her from the inside and her insides grow warmer and warmer therefore feeling like a thaw.

At this point we were able to calm her down just enough as to find out what she saw. We were able to guess from our questions and her nods and shakes of her head (and talking to her afterwards) that she was not able to get to sleep last night, as usual. She closed her eyes and, after laying there for a half hour thinking with all her thoughts, she felt something evil in her room. She opened her eyes to see five small shadow people, about 4 feet tall, beside her bed. They had eyes of some sort and small white jagged teeth. She also saw the spirit of the little girl up above her and she described the girl's expression as unhappy and looking at the shadows. Jen was terrified and she crouched toward her headboard as the five shadow people got closer. Then, without warning, the spirit of the little girl waved her arm from outside to inside and threw Jen off her bed and Jen ran out.

Jen called her sister in a panic but her sister didn't recognize the voice on the other side but stayed on just because she was concerned for who ever this was. Jen tried to run a bath to calm down and talk but couldn't do either and she collapsed by the bath tub. Jen hung up the phone and was able to crawl to the downstairs landing and run downstairs screaming for Sara.

After calming Jen down she was not out of the woods yet. She was still very terrified and would take in air but not breathe out - she was ventilating improperly. She would pass out for a 5-15 seconds without breathing out. We decided to take Jen to the hospital but she refused to go and certainly did not want to go in an ambulance. We told her either we drive her or she goes in an ambulance. The hospital was not far but Jen did not want people to stare at her in the waiting room for fear of them thinking she was crazy. The waiting room had only 5 people in it but we took a spot outside that area anyways because we didn't want her getting worse. We tried to calm Jen down but her breathing was getting worse and she was holding her breath longer and longer.

After 30 minutes in the waiting room, Jen did not exhale and her eyes rolled back into her head. She was rushed to the resuscitation room and security asked me to wait in the waiting room while Sara held her hand. Jen was unresponsive to anyone and anything including pain (pinch, sternum press, etc.) They were able to get her breathing normally again but she was still unresponsive. My girlfriend had a University final in the morning the next day and could not stay with her all night. I came in and sat with Jen while Sara got some granola bars and water for me. While I was with Jen, she kept looking at something on the ceiling. You could see her eyes shift to a point, fixate, and then look somewhere else again. She fidgeted, took the breathing tube out of her nose, took her hair tie out, too, but still would not fixate on my eyes or respond when I called her name. When Sara and I discussed her "mama" she stirred more than normal, a sign to me that she was might be able to hear us but not respond.

Sara left for the water and food. I talked to Jen and told her she would be alright. When she stirred and looked up and near me I got up and put my face in front of hers and called her name but her eyes did not fixate on me at all. She stayed in that condition for 2 hours. Finally, I began to talk to her in Ukrainian. I told her these words "God sees you and he sees everything. God is here..." That is all I said. I looked down and then toward the door. Jen stirred and I looked back to see that she was blinking her eyes. She was awake!

Jen was fine after that but she didn't sleep much that night and only on the couch. She was diagnosed with something. Plainly stated, instead of anxiety attacks these attacks are how her body reacts to too much anxiety - it over reacts.

For a person with feet in both worlds - science and spirituality - I can see, medically, how this is true. We didn't dare tell the doctor what she told us about the shadow people and we certainly told the nurses many times that she did not take drugs. I put Jen's fears to rest saying that seeing shadow people does not make her crazy and, in fact, it is almost normal to see them. Listening to podcasts and reading has opened me to know that there are many types of shadow people encounters.

I would not have believed this story had I not seen it for myself. If you need verification about this story there is Sara, though I doubt Jen would want to talk about this anymore than she already has. The doctor and many others have either prescribed or agreed, that Jen needs therapy to deal with things in her life.

Many questions remain unanswered for me like, why did the girl's spirit throw Jen out of bed? I am afraid if the spirit of the little girl is able to take the form of Sara and knock Jen out of bed, what else can or will it do? What if the girl is not really a spirit but a devil in disguise since it has the ability to change forms? What about the five small shadow people in her room? Now that they know where Jen is and how she reacts, will they be back? And if so, how soon? What about the Bible warming her up from the inside? And the fact that I mentioned God and seconds later she wakes up from her state? Was this some kind of possession?

We all hope and pray that Jen goes to see a therapist to deal with the repressed emotions in her life. If this is how her body reacts to extreme fear then excess fear should be eliminated. Still this event has Jen encountering a spirit, shadow people and possibly a demon. After all the podcasts and reading I have done on these subjects, what, in the realm of the supernatural, is possible after this event?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hbdave, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

WelshmanTrezise (5 stories) (12 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-28)
This is very scary maybe the girl was a domovoi and took the form her friend to comfort her, and threw her off the bed away from the on comming evil spirits. Pray for her this has happened to a family member of mine long ago, but not as severe. Some things cannot be driven out, but by fasting, so fast in sort of way and the sprits with prayer will be driven out!
lew87 (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-09)
I was thinking exactly what shellie said. Jen was frozen, with five evil shadows coming at her. Jen must have felt surrounded with no way out. You said the little girl's spirit looked unhappy, but that she was looking at the shadows. She was unhappy that Jen was about to be attacked. The fact that she has taken Sara's form, might just mean the girl is trying to find the easy way to tell her something. As for the bookshelf in the basement, If there are books on it see what all of them are about. If none have anything to do with spirits, then consider other options. Did Jen bring something back from Ukraine that would be on that bookshelf or where did the bookshelf come from? I here that spirits can be attached to there old belongings.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-11)
Thyis was a very scary story. I fet chills go down my spine while I was reading it. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
HeatherO (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-26)
It sounds like Jen is in a very negative place right now. If you truly think she's telling the truth, then I would seek out some religious or spiritual advice through the church. She may be extra vulnerable right now and apparently something evil is trying to invade. I would be worried that if she doesn't do something soon to protect herself, something worse may happen. I don't know from personal experience, just things I've read. I have a friend who is very spiritual. She is a counselor and has to "clean out" her room every day. She meditates and imagines white light filling up the room and surrounding her. Do you have a local paranormal research team? I would most definitely think if they weren't interested in the case, most are kind enough to offer someone that could help her.
supernaturalguy3710 (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-26)
im a big beliver in the supernatural, but, because jen had so much stress in her life, I'm inclined to say that she overreacted. Thought I can't deny the girl from ukrane. Had she been a demon/lesser demon, or some other force, I don't know.
hbdave (1 stories) (18 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-26)
I wanted to comment on the "proof" portion. Again, skepticism is good and I do welcome it. At the same time I can only tell you what my girlfriend has experienced in the house and the things that have happened to Jen since.

1. I have always had a weird feeling in the basement but only one area - Jen's bookshelf. That shelf is in the middle of the long wall in the basement. Every time I walk in the basement I get a weird feeling from that area whether I look at it or my back is turned from it.

2. Sara recently said that every time she washes the dishes something moves or slides. Sometimes its a plate on the counter, sometimes its the salt shaker, other times its a glass - but its every time.

3. Jen seems to have the worst luck these days. Her injury is not healing nearly as quickly as it should and she's not working at all at the gym, only in her physiotherapy sessions. The automatic garage door fell on her truck cab but did not do too much damage. Her truck was keyed recently. Her propane tank off her bbq was stolen and a whole bunch of small things. All of these things and yet nothing like this has happened to Sara.
hbdave (1 stories) (18 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-26)
I'll try and answer and comment as best I can to all who left a message. Thank you to all who commented even though you may be a skeptic. I have been skeptical too about what she told me and tried to evaluate how much she could have made up. This is why I wrote story the way I did - from my point of view and not hers.

1. I agree that Jen needs to deal with the issues in her life. Jen was born in Canada but her first language is Ukrainian though she has no accent when she speaks English.

2. Jen is a nurse here in Canada. In Canada your taxes pay for Workers Compensation which is like Afflac in the States. You get 60% of your wage of the last 52 weeks from the government if you are unable to work. Jen is working now in a limited capacity only 4 hours a day.

3. I think she was in a form of psychosis, too, but the point of the story was how she got there - the shadow people being in her room.

4. Jen is Catholic and the house was blessed this past January. Houses for us are always blessed at this time. I was not afraid of anything during this time. I was level headed even when she went into shock and stopped breathing. Sara and I are being supportive but at the same time Sara has moved out because of the house.
HeatherO (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-25)
I'm a little confused with details in the story. Have you or Sara actually seen anything in the house? If there is not other "proof" of anything other than Jen's word, I think Jen sounds like she may have some kind of psychosis. Perhaps she is schizophrenic. I know she's your friend and you want to support her, but from the way you describe her she doesn't sound like she's got things together very well (she sounds like she's at least obsessive-compulsive with the exercising, worrying-did you see the recent Oprah featuring OCD?). I hope she starts with counseling and medication. I hate to be a skeptic, but when someone close to you is doing something crazy, I think it's extra hard to think they may just be crazy.
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-25)
That must have been a terrifying expeirience for all three of you. To me it doesn't like the little girl wanted to hurt Jen, just snap her out of her frozen state. It sounds as though Jen is a strong Christian and that could be why the Bible, a physical reminder of Gods love and protection, warmed her up. Is Ukranian her first language? That might be why she responded when you spoke it. If Jen is having a lot of trouble with anxiety you and your girlfriend should try to be as supportive and encouraging as possible. It might also help to have a priest come to bless the house and help any lost souls cross over.
Oglegen (6 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-25)
Jen has a very good paying job, is single, and has chosen to pay off the large mortgage faster than is necessary. She is also injured, is unable to work, and so she doesn't get much per month for compensation. On top of all that she is unhappy about work, constantly worries about her life, and exercises, often pushes herself to extreme. She is good person, though, and we all love her.

I'm confused. Does Jen have a job or not have a job?
Secondly, you say yourself she is someone who worries a lot, goes to extremes, is unhappy with her life... Someone who has these tendencies might easily fall into states of shock that are very hard to retrieve them from. I have volunteered in a psychiatric unit and seen before the state you have described and it's normally when people are in a state of psychosis. Psychosis can occur after all sorts of things have happened to people, but the people themselves have to be prone to it for it to happen.

As for why the Bible warmed her, I have no idea. She needs to be properly evaluated by a priest if this is the case.
hbdave (1 stories) (18 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-25)
I was hoping for more comments on my story. Has anyone heard of anything happening like this? Anyone opinions as to what happened to her? I am still concerned for her.
XBlessedBeX (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-23)
Actually it was a form of possession. The shadowed spirits are demons and the little girl could be her manifestation of unhappiness. Since she is a christian (I am not one but know this for a fact) demons will tend to follow, attack, destroy, and distract her until she can become weak enough to give up her faith. Tell her that God is the one that is protecting her and the bible is the sword. She can destroy evil by praying in the name of her God. Demons can only enter into your body if you invite them in, or if they attack you with so much violence your body is weak enough to where you will not struggle and they can easily penitrate you. You also become cold when a demon enters into your body (I know I have been possesed by many) and the warming sensation was the demon starting to slowly retreat. I have heard and seen many ways of expelling a demon from a home. If she does not want to do this she does not have to partake in it, but cleanse the home. It would be best for her to partake in it because if she does not she will continue to be haunted in her dreams. She might want to take a Christian approach instead of a Witch's. Tell her to pray... And pray hard. Take long hot baths to releave stress, and burn a lot of candles and inscence to help her with aromatherapy and also to cleanse the home. Tell her to sing songs of inspiration and happiness. This might drive the spirit (the little girl) to retreat in her own mission to destroy your friend.
Blessed be.
Shellie (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-23)
It sounds like the little girls spirt has never harmed Jen in the past and has been very peaceful to her. Why now, when Jen needed someone the most, would the little spirit girl harm her? It sounds to me like maybe she only reacted when Jen herself could not. Frozen with fear at the head of her bed, unable to move, these very frieghtning things moving closer, with there sharp teeth, someone had to do something. So the little spirit girl through here from the bed and that action allowed her to snap out long enough to get some real help. What would have happened if she had not been thrown from her bed? What would those 4 feet tall beings with the sharp teeth have done to her? Just my opinion, but it sounds to me like the spirit girl offered help instead of harm. When we are in danger and very scared, in need of help, does it really matter where that help comes from?
Oglegen (6 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-23)
I have never experienced anything specifically like this and am ill-qualified to answer, but I've read a lot about this kind of thing. I'm guessing from the nature of your questions that you wouldn't mind a speculative answer from people, even if they haven't experienced it themselves, so here goes: My first two impressions are that 1. The shadow people have attached themselves to the Ukranian girl or have been attracted to her by her loneliness in the course of the time she has been around Jen. 2. One of the ways Jen could deal with this is by dealing with her anxiety and panic issues by talking to a counsellor. She may also have a bit of a sense of feeling separated or exiled from her home country, and this may be why the Ukranian girl chose to follow her. Somehow Jen needs to know herself better, know what her issues are, and as her self knowledge and enlightenment become clearer, the more the shadow people will be out of place around the energy of the "new" Jen. I think you also need to get someone of Jen's faith, Christian was it? (so she really believes it in her heart) to talk to the Ukranian girl and try to help her to move on to the light. Once Jen has restored her sense of herself and the Ukranian girl is at peace, then hopefully things should become more normal.

Anyhow, it was a great story! Thanks for writing it!
jennykate488 (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-22)
wow, I couldn't imagine going through something like that. Maybe she was just in complete shock after experiencing this. Great story:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: