You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted School

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted School

 

Here's a story that isn't so terrifying. Compared to my other experiences that is. This story comes from back before I was born, when my dad was 17. My dad grew up in a very, very small town called Alma, located in the province of New Brunswick in Canada's east coast. I'm not exact on when the town was first founded but it has been around for well over 120 years.

My dad was in high school. The school he went to was kindergarten to grade 12, mainly because there weren't a lot of kids in the town, so they only needed one school. His school was still rather big though. It had 3 floors and kind of a look-out type thing on the roof. Coming out of the side of the building were large black slides, which were used as fire escapes.

When I went back last summer (I was 21 at the time) to go visit my grandmother and my dads old hometown, we went to see his old school. As we were driving to it he was telling me that a long time ago before he started school there, there was a fire. One of the slides managed to disconnect itself from the side of the building, and when the teacher made the first student go, he fell three stories and hit the ground. He died instantly... obviously. He said there were many different accidents at the school, which made me a little more excited to visit the school.

I knew I would experience something at this school, If I was lucky, maybe I would even see a ghost. We got to the school and went to the front office and told the principal who we were. My dad knew the principal because they went to that school together when they were kids. I told the principal why I was so interested in visiting the school and he smiled at me and said he would take us for a tour after hours when the students all went home for the night. But before we left we walked around and saw all of the pictures and artwork, and anything else that is hung on the walls of a school. We saw my dads grad picture... wow, I've never seen him without hair before.

After dinner we got a call from Richard (the principal) and he said to come by and he'll take us on the tour of the school. When we first arrived we waited a few minutes before Rich got there. I was looking over to one of the windows on the ground floor and I thought I saw somebody standing in the window. I looked back and it was gone. Which is how it usually goes I guess.

Rich came and we went inside. I asked if we could go into the room where I thought I saw a person in the window. It was the library. He told us that this is where a lot of the daytime activity takes place. He said that librarians would do their rounds, putting books back on their shelves, and when they leave the isle, they would hear a noise. When they go back to the isle they were just in, there would be the books, laying all over the floor.

This made me smile... It was nice to hear that they come out during the day, this way I knew they weren't shy. Our next stop was the second floor. On the way up the stairs I began to feel very lightheaded and nauseous. My dad said he felt a slight headache but nothing serious. We stopped a few minutes so I could catch my breath and we continued on. We walked down a long dark hallway where the classrooms were all located. There were about 8 rooms on this floor. As we walked down the hallway I took a peek into each classroom. It was the second last door on the right that made me feel very uncomfortable. I went inside, Richard and my dad followed. I stood in the middle of the room.

"I'm feeling a very strange vibe in here," I told Rich. "Almost... Almost an angry sort of vibe..."

Richard told me that about 5 years ago a student broke into the school, and hung himself in the classroom, as a surprise for everyone who came to school that day. I didn't ask anything else about it. I'm not really interested in why kids commit suicide. In my spare time I volunteer to make sure kids make the right choices. So this kind of made me sad.

We continued on up to the third floor. I was first up the stairs and when I got to the top of the stairs I stopped. I looked down the hallway to the opposite end of the building, and I saw a little boy, just standing there, arms at his side. I wasn't close enough to see what he was wearing or what his face looked like, nor was there enough light. I slowly stepped a little closer towards him. My dad and Rich stayed back at the door... They knew what was going on, and they didn't want to startle the spirit.

I managed to past the first two rooms. Then the third... I got about 10, maybe 15 yards away from the spirit, and he turned around and walked right through the wall.

I noticed that there was a little door, one that you would have to duck down and pretty much crawl through. I knew this was the door to the fire exit. I looked at it, and that is when I realized that little boy was the one that fell during that fire in the early 1940's.

My dad and Richard came up behind me and asked what happened, and I told them.

Richard explained that the night cleaners would often see him standing there. He said that he was harmless and that he hasn't done anything to harm anybody, nor has he wandered to any other part of the school.

After a little while we finished our tour and went back outside to the truck. We said our goodbyes to Richard and headed back to my grandmothers house. I couldn't get the thought out of my head. Those poor kids. Like I said I do a lot of volunteer work with kids, so hearing about this story made me sad. And little did I know that very soon I would be moving into a house with a ghost of a little girl.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story and I hope you liked it. Please feel free to read my other stories and email me if you have any questions. Also check out my You Tube channel! All of the information is on my profile, so check it out and I hope to hear from you soon!

Until next time... God Bless!

Other hauntings by metalhed16

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, metalhed16, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bewildered83 (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-27)
Good story telling, however sorry to disappoint all of you guys but... There are no such incidents that ever happened in that school; I would know, I'm from Alma.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-11)
I realy liked this story. It is sad that spirits of children can not cross over. That poor kid never did cross over did he? Thanks for sharring another amazing story. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
bardsidhe (38 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-30)
Well told, and the details make it easier to follow and beleive. Reminds me of my days in my old High School.
reminds me of the encounters I had there as well.
It's no longer used now, been empty some 10+ years and I've been gone from there nearly 20 years.

one event in particular was near the end of my 2nd year at the school, I was taking my time walking back from the 2nd floor toilets to the 1st floor class room by going to level 3, and there I saw a Girl I did not know at the far end of the Corridor.
she was looking out of the window, being the end of the year, it was casual dress so I did not notice her lack of uniform other than to think she was pretty. As I approach I noticed her face in the glass, and saw she was Chinese, not wanting to scare her I said hello before I got too close, I noticed her smile (in the reflection) as she turned to the right and walked into the Stair well, I lost site of her for 2 seconds before I was at the top of the stairs only to see there was no one there.
I went down to level two and the corridor was empty, I never saw her again, but I noted one thing, and then never gave it much thought, at the time, we did not have any Chinese Students at the school...
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-29)
Absolutely fab story! You are one of my top three favorite writers here and I love your style. It is very detailed and just seems to FLOW so well I feel like I'm in the story with you. Some stories I wish Not so much!
Keep em coming! 😁
LoveforHope0226 (5 stories) (16 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-28)
Its actually pretty nice to hear a story that won't give me nightmares for a week. I'm jk. But that's pretty cool that you got to see one of the ghosts. Are there anymore ghosts there? If there is, I want to go there.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-27)
Thank you for the great story! I enjoy reading your posts very much! You do not have to put all the flash and everything into them, they are real and they are fascinating.

If you have an oppurtunity to revisit the school again, take a camera.

I will say prayers for the little boy and for the child who hung him self as well as any others who are lost or frightened.

God Bless!
anikenlee (5 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-24)
Yoy metalhed, I love your story especially the part where you see the little boy and you walk towards him, you are super brave lol 😁
Iron_Maiden_88 (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-24)
wow what an excellent story! Its really cool how you gave background and explanation of the hauntings, because I would rather know that than just you sayin "hey that school's haunted". Very good. 😉
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
-1
16 years ago (2008-05-24)
metalhed16,it's hard to accept what God has given. God gives your destiny, your way of life and also allow spirits to stay on Earth to see mortals, meaning humans.

Example,the spirit you see that was near the fire exit.He's still young and one person must free his prison and let him live with God and other spirits.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-22)
Thanks for another great story metalhed16. I'm quite impressed by your almost "effortless" way of accepting things although I'm sure it must have required some effort at some point in your life. I'm very happy that your dad seems to have so much faith in you since accepting such a gift cannot possibly be an easy job especially when it's one your very own child has to live with.

It's good to have the support of a parent.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-22)
Hi metalhed. I enjoy your stories, your style of writing, your perception of your experiences and the way you handle these things. Thanks for sharing your experiences, I really enjoy reading them.
toastymarshy (3 stories) (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-22)
Thank you for submitting your story! It's terrible that all those accidents took place there! It must have been scary to see all those ghosts 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: