You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: High School Haunting

Real Ghost Stories

High School Haunting

 

I grew up in Calgary Alberta, Canada. I'm sure you all know that by now. When I was in high school, I went to one of the older ones in the downtown area of the city. I didn't really notice anything until my senior year, in my first semester. Yes I did, on occasion experience things in past years going to that school, but nothing like this particular incident.

Let's start from the beginning, my first year in high school. I often heard stories from the older kids about how the school was haunted. Every time I heard a story it would give me a jolt, and I would be scared to venture into the hallways alone.

Tenth grade, I was asked to go down to the janitor's office, which was located in the basement, to get paper towel for our lab we were doing. So I took the long walk to the basement. When I reached the stairs I heard a metallic sound from below, like a large wrench or pipe hitting the floor. I figured it was one of the janitors so I continued down the steps. I got to the bottom and looked down the hall. There was no one to be seen. I walked to the end where the office was located and peeked inside, no one there. I went back down the hall to the big room where the cleaning supplies were kept. No one there. Then I went to the last room in the basement which lead to the boiler room. No one there...

Of course at this point I began to feel uncomfortable, so I ran as fast as I could up the stairs, and out the big metal doors, into the main hallway of the school. I figured I would check the main office and see if the secretary could page them for me. I got to the office and noticed that the janitors were both in the staff room.

The staff room was through the office and to the right, so it was clearly visible to anyone who visited the office.

My second experience happened in my second year, in the eleventh grade. I was on the football team, and we had just returned from a game at another school. It was me and 2 other guys (Team captains) that stayed behind to clean up the mess on the locker room floor and showers. Well this particular night, it was just me. The other two were off to see the Stamps game. So as I was cleaning up the floor I heard what sounded like shoes scuffling on the floor, about two rows behind me. I looked around the corner and noticed nobody was there so I continued on with my cleaning. The scuffling sound continued on the entire time I was cleaning. I didn't feel threatened so I didn't make a big deal about it.

My third experience was in my senior year, and this one is the most memorable one of them all. It was February, and we had just gotten a huge dumping of snow that day. It was unusual, because Calgary isn't the type of place to get that much snow. Luckily our school was the one that decided not to close that day. Which was awesome because there was about 6 feet of snow and it was -35 C (-31 F). Plus I drove an '86 Mustang, and last I checked those don't go so good in that kind of weather. I decided to take city transit and I was still over an hour late.

I got into the school and went to my class. Everyone looked pissed off. Which was understandable.

Before I get to the ghost part of this, let me mention that every single class that day... We watched a movie. Seriously, if it was that important that we go to school on a snow day, let's learn something. We were the only high school that had to go that day.

Okay I'm done ranting. I decided to leave midway through class to go to the vending machines and chill out in the cafeteria. After sitting for a while, I thought back to a few years ago when I was in the basement. I figured this was a good time to go see what was going on down there since no one was out and about.

I got up and went through the big doors and down the stairs. I crept down the hall and peered into the office to make sure the janitor wasn't there. When I turned around to head to the boiler room, the lights went out, and the emergency lights came on. An emergency message came on over the PA that said, "Attention staff, students, and visitors. Please remain calm. There has been a problem with the power in the building. Please stay where you are until the power is turned back on..."

I stood still, almost too scared to move, because I knew there was a ghost down there, and It didn't help that the power went out. I finally decided to move. I took a few steps forward and I heard the office door behind me creak, and slowly latch closed. I stopped again, terrified. In this hallway there were lockers along both walls. Since there were more students in the school, we had to resort to "overflow lockers..." A lot of these vacant lockers were left open.

One by one the locker doors started slamming shut. It wasn't in order, there would be a door slamming shut right beside me, the next at the completely opposite end of the hall, and so on and so forth. I booked it straight for the stairs, and as I was running up the stairs I heard the same metallic sound I heard a few years back, followed by a large bang. I don't know what the bang came from, all I know is that it made me run twice as fast.

When I got to the top of the stairs and out into the main hallway, I sat at a table to catch my breath. I looked down and realized that I had pissed myself. This was great! It was senior year, I was captain of the football team, and I pissed my pants. I ran to the locker room before anyone saw me and changed into my sweat pants, then went to the bus stop to go home.

I don't know what it was, and I hated how it decided to mess with me while the power was out.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story and I hope you liked it. Please feel free to read my other stories, leave a comment, or email me if you have any questions. Also check out my You Tube channel! All of the information is on my profile, so check it out and I hope to hear from you soon!

Until next time... God Bless!

Other hauntings by metalhed16

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, metalhed16, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kida07 (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-17)
Oh I had one of those! New Westminster Secondary School, my High School was built in the 1880's. It has a tunnel from one end of the school to the other which Is haunted because of a collapse after an Earthquake. It was originally built on a Cemetary used for the Asylum in New Westminster.

The great thing is we actually had a door close right in front of us while we were talking in Choir class.:) It was hilarious! My teach nearly had a heart attack!

Other things seen or heard: whispering voices, eerie screams in the tunnel, shadows (even in the daylight hours), the feeling of being watched, faces appearing in windows of classroom doors
StephanDragon (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-05)
Know the feeling Bro. My own school was very similar. It was built in the 1920's and during intigration of the african american students one teen boy was killed there. Ever since there was always a feeling of being watched and often if down in the locker rooms would hear mutters or slamming doors. Freaky but also was never menacing
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-11)
Another great story Marshall. I realy do like reading stories about schools. Even when there isn't a spirit in them they always seem scary. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
SuperHaraki (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-28)
Wow. O__O; I can't possibly imagine how scared you must've been when that happened! I thought maybe the ghost turned off the electricity. Hey, it's a possibility! XDD

Have a nice day! ❤
Nightgoddess (14 stories) (54 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-25)
I hate school hauntings. At my school randomly the lights will flicker above my head, but only mine. In every class. I moved to test it and it moved with me (got a ot of weird stares for that) then the bathroom stalls start shaking too. This all started happening not too long ago
tobgirl22 (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-24)
Wow that was an intense story. The Elementary school where I live has a ghost too. Well, so I've been told. Something about one of the Janitors cleaning the equipment room after school and he had a heart attack and died there. Ironic thing is, he just so happened to be my Great Great Grandfather. And I've had experianced things in that part of the school, or the Sports complex connected to it. I never went to that elementary school, so when I was in High school and I would help out with youth activities that's when things would happened. But awesome story, made me have goosebumps. 😲
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-22)
Woo hoo hoo! That's freaky! Unlike anything at the High school I went to.

James Busby High School

Search that on google as well with the word "haunted" you'll find numerous sites concerning my school.

The lights switching on and off are true.
The ghost like dog chasing you however (me and my friends decided not to investigate that)

The only way I knew about the lights, was during our school disco.
The English department block classroom lights kept going on and off.

Lol, but what my school does. Doesn't compare with what happened at yours.
jennykate488 (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-22)
did something happen at your school to make a spirit react like that? It obviously wasn't to thrilled you were down there... But I always enjoy reading your stories and look forward to more! 😉
krbartee (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-22)
That was a good story. You brought humor into a paranormal setting. The parts about being lucky being the only school open and pissing yourself made me laugh. Enjoyed it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: