You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: First True Experience

Real Ghost Stories

First True Experience

 

I guess I'll start this story at the beginning and describe my childhood. When I was 4, my family moved from Florida to a farm in north Georgia. At the time it was four of us, my father, mother, younger brother and me. The house we moved to was a very old farm house built in 1890 and everything in the place was original, with only the electrical wiring and plumbing being "newer", though from the 60s themselves.

The house was the epitome of what one would imagine of a "haunted" house. Old windows that rattled in the wind, no insulation anywhere, allowing for drafts to come and go as they please, wood floors, walls and ceilings that creaked constantly, and an old tin roof that leaked in the rain and popped in the sun. We also had several very old outbuildings that were quite creepy, though for a little boy, they were fascinating.

We owned a little over 200 acres and growing up, I crawled all over that place. To this day I do not know if the house had any kind of history, but years later while clearing a back piece of our land, we did discover 20+ Cherokee Indian burial mounds. This was yet another fascinating find as I myself am part Cherokee (though barely - 1/16). That said I doubt they had any influence on the house, being more then half a mile away, but I will say that I saw a lot of interesting stuff in the woods surrounding them. Honestly, I can say that I truly loved growing up on that farm, but it did not go without its dark history as well.

My first accounts started when I was 6, and really, based on my memory, went throughout my childhood in random succession. Growing up, I had little fear of anything, being taught that everything in the woods are more afraid of you then you are of it, I would walk the woods at night without a light, I could hear strange sounds in the house and find them "cool", watch spooky movies and laugh, etc.

No, what I feared most as a child was going to sleep. And it wasn't just the nightmares, which were very frequent, but also the after affects of the night as well. Most of the times the nightmares would wake me up in a cold sweat or shaking or in physical pain, but sometimes I would wake with a black eye or bloodied lip. At first my parents would say that I probably rolled out of bed and hit the floor or maybe tripped on something while going to the bathroom and not remember it. It wasn't until I was 8 that things got a little more... Serious.

My parents had different sleep schedules, my father being in bed by 10pm whereas my mother would stay up until around midnight or so. On one of these nights she had stayed up later then normal, watching something on TV until well after 1am. She had gotten up during a commercial to go to the kitchen when she had heard something coming from our bedroom (me and my brother shared a room). She stepped into the doorway and I guess she heard me groaning and crying, so she flicked on the light, which for some reason immediately blew out. I don't remember much up until the light flashing, which at that point I remember feeling as if my nightmare was real and I was fighting it off of me. I recall my mother screaming for my father who came down the hall, flashlight in hand and remember the beam of light hitting my face and him picking me up off the bed. They took me into the bathroom and washed my face but I guess exhaustion took over because I don't recall anything after that. What my mother told me the next morning sent chills down my spine and gave me my first taste of real fear.

She said that when she had flicked on the light, it looked like a dark shape had been on top of me and was swinging violently in my direction. She had thought that it might have been my brother (we fought a lot as brothers do) but she said that she could see him asleep in his bed. Since the light flashed off so fast she said that she couldn't see anything after that except spots but that when she saw my face she had been terrorized by what she saw.

Looking in the mirror that next morning I got to see the truth, black eye forming, dried blood in my nose, a busted lip, and strange scratches along the left side of my face. Obviously I did not go to school that next day, but I don't think staying at home helped much either. It was fairly quiet around the house, nobody really speaking about what happened, dad out working the cattle, mom doing chores around the house and me watching TV.

Really, in time, what happened that night faded from everyone's minds, and only on certain occasions do I even think about it. I can say this much though, looking back over the years, I have analyzed what happened and I can be fairly certain of this much, that was no ghost that haunted me. This was but only the beginning of what life had to throw at me. Fun...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mikhal, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-11)
I hope you don't have to deal with anything like that anymore! That is really scary. I wonder why you kept getting attacked? Please post another story this was really interesting.

-Sydney ❤ 😊 ❤
SummerEclipse22 (6 stories) (15 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-28)
Wow. I know a few people who have been scratched and even had a couple of bruises on thier arms because of ghosts or demons, but to have that kind of phisical injury.
cjswing (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-28)
Busted lip, bloody nose and scratches... If this story is even real which I doubt it is, it certainly wasn't a ghost or a demon. More like you are a active sleeper and probably did it to yourself as you slept.
flamewithin (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-23)
wow what a exspernce. I live in north ga this place has lot of activity. If I were your parents I think I would be in your room all night trying to protect you from that thing. Did it still go on after they caught it hurting you? Why did it hurt you only why not your brother?
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-06)
Releeshan, what are you trying to say in your post? I'm not sure what you're saying about unmarked graves. The Cherokee did not mark their graves, they buried their dead in mounds. Also, as you know, the Apache are from the southwestern United States and have no affiliation to anything in Georgia which is prime Cherokee country.

Just looking for a little clarification about your enigmatic post.

Thanks.
Releeshan (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-03)
one of the graves was unmarked, and 3 more back toward the right back corner in the trees, but I'm not sure which side I'm standing and looking from, For some reason Apache immediately came to me on the first paragraph, The fact you are part Cherokee is of significance, the old way's are hard to understand, there seems great hostility toward you for perhaps not acknowledging the burial site, But I'm not sure from whom the Apache or the Cherokee.
Perhaps seek out one who is of Cherokee descent and ask for some clarity, I know little about Native American's.
But I believe they were more civilized then so called modern man.
Axl_the_Hunter (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-03)
Sorry that happened to you, I understand where your coming from, I get scartches and bruises with out knowing what from.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-02)
I guess I am joining the crowd on this one, I can't wait to hear more. Did you have further 'physical' encounters? Are you still in this house? Was anyone else ohysically harmed in the house?

God Bless!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-01)
I have heard of stories in which people have gotten scratched or slapped or pushed but a black eye and bloody nose? I can see why your parents were flabbergasted. I know people that fell out of bed and broke their nose or fell hard enough to blacken an eye but they knew they took a fall. Not sure how your's came about. Was it a spirit doing you harm or you harming yourself unaware?
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-01)
What part of Northern Georgia did you live in? If that was the beginning of what life had to "throw" at you, I can't even imagine what else you have had to endure.
shada (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-30)
I am with Martin and Rhodes on this, very good. I hope you keep us informed.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-30)
I'm with Martin on this one. Sorry about what you're going through but I hope to hear more about your experiences.
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
16 years ago (2008-05-30)
Whoa that did send a chills down my spine too. I'm so sorry to hear what happened to you! But I can't wait to hear the rest...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: