You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghost Farmer

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Farmer

 

I grew up in Lisle, IL. It is a smaller suburb compared to Naperville and other surrounding burbs. In the 30s it was a farming community. My grandparents, like most of the growing community members, had a house built during the 50s. My parents and I moved in with them around 1984, when I was an infant. I resided there with my parents and grandparents until I was 18.

Around the age of 12 was my first experience. I had stepped into the shower. Our bathroom window looked out onto the backyard. We had a shed with a small porch light, a swing and some small flowerbeds scattered in the yard. Roughly 5 minutes into the shower, I looked out the window. I saw an older looking man, thin, dressed in overalls and holding some sort of tool. He looked tired and his eyes seemed empty. Almost sad. He looked right at me without flinching. It was not the steam from the shower or any kind of fog/smoke outside. The shed light was off. All of my family were indoors.

I looked at him for what felt like forever, in reality maybe 20 seconds. I remember kind of gasping and taking a step back from the window. Then he was gone. I finished my shower. Explained what happened to my father in the hall. He went outside. Checked everything... garage... shed... behind the shed. Nothing. I was told I probably saw fog or something.

A few nights later, I was getting ready to make a phone call in my parent's room. Their phone was by the window that looked over the side of the house... First floor. My father was putting away something in his dresser behind me. I started to dial, waited for the other end to answer. While waiting I looked out the window, there was the "farmer" again. Dressed the same... Sad eyes etc. I gasped; my father turned around and saw him too. He stood there looking at us. I of course had forgotten about my phone call, and turned to my father. Turn back to the window he was gone. The only thing I saw was my father frantically running along the side of the house with the flashlight.

Throughout my life I had a lot of strange feelings in the home. I saw the "farmer" a few more times... A lot happened living there. But I guess I can save it for another time. I thank everyone for reading this. Commenting and well wishes to all.

Other hauntings by hobbyholly

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hobbyholly, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ahhitscaty (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-14)
Very interesting story. Well I do have my own experiences in paranormal but I don't know much. My guess would be a lot like the others only slightly different. Maybe since he was a farmer during his life he wanted to continue being a farmer however the sadness is because he no longer has his farm. I would feel very lucky that he seems to hold no anger against you for being one of the people to live on what was his.
snowflake (5 stories) (61 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-14)
I agree with gamst,brownie09,and kecoughtan. All thier responses sound like possibilities as to why he's there. From reading this story, he doesn't seem to be wanting to harm you, or your family. He just wants to tend to his, or your garden. Thanks for sharing! 😁
gamst (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-07)
You certainly seem certain about what you saw, you describe it with such vividness.
Sad to know that this farmer wasn't a happy man at his death. Do your grandparents or parents live in the house now? Maybe it's worthwhile going back to the house to try and establish contact with him or looking into the history of the house and finding out who this man was.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Sorry that I'm late on commenting, I have been reading a lot of interesting stories on here, as the farmer might have died of a heat stroke, or died carrying on something he loved to do, because I know old farmers loved to see their gardens and stuff healthy, so maybe he is tied to that place. Thanks for an interesting story. 😊
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-06)
Love this story. Feels totally true. It's so simplex, you didn't need to "sell" it to anyone. Sometimes, the simplest recollections are the strongest.

Thank you.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-03)
Thank you for all the positive feedback.

I'm not sure if there was a barn/farmhouse on the property or a little further back. I know the neighborhood was used for growing beans. I think I should stop being lazy and look up some kind of records.

He ALWAYS looked me (and my father the one time) right in the eyes. Maybe he felt comfortable, because the main shed I saw him near was painted red and white... Sorta like a barn.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-01)
Agrees with Kim. Sounds like a residual haunting which goes on whether anyone detects it or not, so they say. Glad your dad saw him too because we tend to like validation when seeing something supernatural. Hope if it's more than residual the farmer eventually moves on. I would be sad too if stuck between worlds.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-30)
I, too, would enjoy hearing more about your experiences when you have time. Do you have any idea where the original farm house and outbuildings stood in relation to your grandparents' house? The farmer may be appearing in activity areas that he once frequented.

It is just a guess, but the aged farmer may be sad to know that the land he cultivated and toiled with for so many years has sprouted a suburb. Some farmers--especially the older ones I've known--take incredible pride in the productivity of their land and the tidiness of the farm. For him, it could be very sad to see that there is so longer any evidence of his work and values visible on the landscape.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-30)
It certainly sounds as if the land your house is on has siome activity. I would say residual, but... Did he look directly at you? Has he always been seen in the same area?

I would love to hear more of this story.

God Bless!
seabird (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-30)
wow! Interesting story! I always love reading the stories that take place in illinois, as I live in the northwest suburbs myself. That's amazing that you and our father were able to see the farmer at the same time. Thanks for sharing your story! 😁
SuperHaraki (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-30)
Whoa! I guess now that 'fog' wasn't really fog. Hahaha. [/humor] You might want to do some research on your house, and see what happened to the farmer. Hey, it's a suggestion 😁

Have a nice day! ❤
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-30)
Whoa that's scary. Maybe the farmer had died there or something. Or maybe is died in a sad state. As long as he doesn't look like he wants to hurt someone, you guys are safe! Anyway, please keep informing us!
Biemaster
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-30)
Whew! That would've scared the life and soul out of me!

I'm glad, though, that your dad saw it as well--so often people who can see what others can't get labeled as having an overactive imagination or worse.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: