You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: The Thing In The Closet

Real Ghost Stories

The Thing In The Closet

 

I honestly don't think that my house is haunted. I don't hear unexplained noises or see apparitions or feel the slightest bit uncomfortable anywhere in the house- even our newly finished basement. Apparently Lily does.

After Suzy died suddenly in the backyard (while I was at school, of all places), my parents bought me a new little black and brown yorkie that I named Lily Sue- Sue after Suzy. She weighs about five pounds, and can fit cupped in both palms. She even has a small white tuft of hair on her belly. Though she loves to be the "hot shot" and attempt to scare much older, bigger dogs, she really is just a sweet (tiny) harmless little pup. Not the least bit intimidating, if you ask me. However, she has recently taken up barking at (what appears to me) absolutely nothing, followed by a fit of whimpering and one Lily scurrying out of the room.

At first I thought nothing of this. For one, I thought I was sensitive to things lurking around in houses, and I never feel a thing here. But this became harder to ignore when one day things started to get a little out of hand.

I had just let Lily in from outside when she walked to the edge of the landing, facing the basement, and just stared. At first I thought she had spotted a pair of underwear or a sock (she loves to dig these items out of the laundry basket and treat them as toys), but I saw nothing of the sort laying around and we had just done the laundry- the clothes basket was empty. However, Lily spotted something and began to growl, eventually becoming somewhat vicious (or as mean as a little Yorkshire terrier can get), and I decided that the best thing to do was to grab her and go upstairs.

This was only a quick fix.

About twenty minutes later, while chewing on a toy and enjoying a little nap on my bed, Lily looks up suddenly and fixes her eyes on my closet. Much barking ensues. I thought that maybe there was a string dangling from a shirt or that a dust bunny emerged or something, but a good assessment of my closet confirmed that nothing of any interest to Lily was there. I looked at her when I was finished and she seemed uneasy that I was in it, a bit scared, and even sad. She didn't have anymore fits for the rest of the day. But sure enough, as I was getting ready for bed, Lily spots something in my closet once again and decides to bark, growl, and jump up and down on my bed. I did yet another inspection, found nothing, and told her to chill. She did this, but she still had her eyes fixed on the closet, occasionally whimpering, occasionally looking at me, occasionally pawing at the bed as if to say "I want out of here!" and when my dad finally came home from work, she gladly went to his room to sleep for the night.

At one point, I did start to feel uneasy, but really only because Lily kept barking at something I couldn't see. I started to remember a time when Suzy did something similar- I was straightening my hair before school in front of my mirror. Suzy was on my bed, and then she sat up fast and began growling at the wall behind my desk. She hopped off the bed but refused to walk near that wall, and whimpered at me when she realized all other escape routes were blocked. But unlike Suzy, this was not a one time thing. Lily had already freaked out twice and I had no solution.

I went to my dad's room and scooped up Lily Sue. When she noticed I was taking her to my room she started to squirm, but a nice rubbing of the belly was all she needed and she was out- until 3:00 a.m. When she proceeded to jump out of my arms in a barking fit at an invisible something in my closet. That was it for me. I, too, jumped out of my bed, yelled something, grabbed the dog, and ran out of there. I told my mom that something was in my closet and began to climb into her bed when she kindly informed me that Lily wasn't welcome. I set her on the ground, but my mom fearing she would ruin something in the house told me to go find her and put her in my room. I picked her up and put her on her own bed, then put myself to bed as well. About five minutes later, I heard the soft padding of paws on the tile floor, and the ringing of a dog's collar and rabies tag. I assumed this was Lily, but was surprised at how few steps I heard. They just seemed to stop at the rug. I figured she had plopped her butt down and I simply hadn't heard, and passing that off as a logical solution.

I tried to doze off, but my mom sat up and asked me where Lily was. I told her she was sleeping on the rug, but my mom said that Lily was nowhere to be seen. Rather annoyed, I stepped out in the hall, and noticed that Lily was laying in her bed in my room looking at me rather wearily. I grabbed her and her bed and set them both on my mom's rug, but Lily was not up for that. She took one look at that rug, and bolted into the hall, where she just sort of sat pathetically.

I really didn't understand what was going on, but she was pretty firm in her decision to stay off the rug, so I threw her back on my dad's bed. She stayed there for the rest of the night and I finally got some sleep.

But then I realized Lily wasn't wearing a collar.

Other hauntings by frenchpoet

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, frenchpoet, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AuroraRosa (2 stories) (55 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-23)
ha ha ha that sounds so familiar it's funny! I have this huge white poodle named Chuck and he's just the sweetest dog! But he's also a rescued dog and I think one of his previous owners beat him because if you turn around really fast with one hand raised he crawls under furniture. Anyway, there was this one time when Chuck and I were home alone that he suddenly jumped up and began to growl at something in the general direction of the window. Thinking there was a car going by, I told him not to be silly and went back to whatever I was doing. He then turned in a quick circle, following something with his eyes, and then took off after it into the kitchen barking the whole way. A few moments later I heard him whimper and he came darting abck into the room with his tail between his legs. He put his head in my lap and was begging me to comfort him. It took a tummy rub and three liver treats just to get him calmed down. Personally I think that he annoyed a spirit who got tired of being barked at and swung at Chuck. Nothing has happened since, so either the spirit was just passing through or Chuck learned his lesson.
no_average_angel (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-22)
Wow! That's creepy! My dogs also bark at things that I can't even see! And they get scared for no reason at all! ❤
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-14)
Wow that was a good story, as you said something about hearing dog tags, did other dog ever have any dog tags that she wore on her collar or anything? If so it could be your old dog, but if not there is probably something else there.

Thanks for sharing your story 😊.

*Vicki* 😊
rubyrose_99 (4 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-15)
Wow! My dog barks at the fireplace all the time for no reason. I think there's something there but I'm not sure.
Mandy ❤
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-13)
Well, I'll be looking forward to anything you can catch on film.

The sound of the collar you mentioned indicates that some four-legged companion has been paying visits.

Fascinating!
frenchpoet (10 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-12)
wow- my old dog's name was Suzy Q. Lol

Thank you for your comments everyone! She has only barked at the closet one time since then and I still haven't caught anything on my camera...
Shellie (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-12)
Dogs are VERY sensative to the paranormal. My dog barkes ALL the time. He even fallows me around the house ALL day. There are spaces in the home that make me uncomfortable, and he reacts to these spaces. He also reactes to my son's room.
My son tells me that something pulls his leg when he is sleeping. She might know something you do not. She can see and sence things that we are not adle to.
I had a dog pass away last year, a Chow named Susie Que. Last week I put out a recorder to try and catch any evidence of what is happening in my home. What I got was my Susie Que barking on the tape. I know her bark, it was her. Maybe the same thing is happening to you. Maybe your deceased dog is coming back to say hi.
TwistedWispersNeko (3 stories) (90 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-11)
Yeah. Alot of animals are quite sensitive. In some studies, they've locked animals one at a time in a room with paranormal activity to see their reaction. The most reactive animals were a dog, cat, and even a snake. The snake was striking at some thing in the air, after moving around for a bit. The other two threw fits and backed away. When I had great danes, they had a tendency to bark at anything in general, but there were times, where I would just be on the computer, and they were use to the typeing, and would be sleeping by my feet, then suddenly jump up and start growling at the door. I checked, my lil brother checked, and we saw nothing. We even ran out both the back and front door to see if some one was rounding the corner, but nothing. So, she's sensing some thing. Could be your old doggy though. 😊
jeepgrl16 (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-11)
if it was suzy the ghost dog I would try to tell suzy that she did not have to stay here and she should pass on to heaven. But that just might be me it might not work but I would try god bless
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-11)
It sounds to me as if you have more than one pet in your home. Lily is obviously noticing your other dog as well.

God Bless!
frenchpoet (10 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-11)
IBelieve, yes Suzy wore a collar. I actually have it hanging up in my room.

krbartee, I totally agree with that statement. Lily freaked out last night because she saw her reflection in the window...
krbartee (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-11)
Sounds like a yorkie misbehaving to me. I've had them all my life and they do the most unusual things trust me!
IBelieve (3 stories) (31 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-11)
Good story. Maybe it was your other dog in the closet, or maybe your other dog came back because of what's in the closet. I think you should keep the living dog with you when you're in you room. Did the old dog wear a collar?
shada (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-10)
Really good story. Dogs and cats are very sensitive. The ghost you heard may have been your previous dog coming for a visit.
frenchpoet (10 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-09)
Just an update:

Lily started barking at my closet again tonight. It has only happened once, and I did manage to take pictures. However, finding my camera took a minute or two, so if there was something there, it could have disappeared before I got the chance to catch anything on film. I'm keeping my camera on my nightstand tonight, and if she starts barking again, I will attempt to snap a picture. Lol
DemonSora (69 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-09)
Well dogs are able to see ghost, like when me and my friend Morgan were playing with her neighbors dog, Dora. And then she stopped licking us and then she dozed off somewhere, she started to bark and got out of the way. Me and Morgan got out if the way too, cause we knew it was a ghost. 😐
DemonSora (69 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-09)
Well dogs are able to see ghost, like when me and my friend Morgan were playing with her neighbors dog, Dora. And then she stopped licking us and then she dozed off somewhere, she started to bark and got out of the way. Me and Morgan got out if the way too, cause we knew it was a ghost. 😐
ladypictureshow (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-09)
Wow! That is really weird. That gave me the chills. Well good luck with your "closet friend" and I would always trust your animal's behavior. They're looking out for you so you gotta look out for them. Thanks for the story. I really liked it!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: