You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Drummer At The Dam

Real Ghost Stories

The Drummer At The Dam

 

Kerrvill, Tx

June 2005

I have always been fascinated by ghost stories and tales of the paranormal. I've always had an open mind about that kind of thing. Especially if I feel I am in a place that could potentially have some paranormal activity. When I had the experience I'm about to share with you, I was not prepared whatsoever.

It was three years ago and I was still living with my parents in Lakehills, Texas. I was 18 and had just recently met a guy named Jeremy that seemed pretty cool so I decided to take a drive out to Kerrville (about 40 miles away) and hang out with him for a day. After driving around town for awhile, he suggested that we should check out this old dam that wasn't far to hang out and talk.

We were driving in this small neighborhood that was surrounded by a wooded area and he instructed me to park on the side of the road in front of some trees. We climbed over a barbed wire fence and found a steep trail going down towards the dam. We eventually got to this clearing where we could see the creek and the dam.

It's a little difficult to explain how it was set up but I will try my best. There was a cement wall that went up the hill on the side where my car was parked. There was a cement slab that was connected to this that went from the corner of the dam and the trail and extended about 20 feet by 4 feet until it dropped off. The drop was about 15 feet to the rocky bottom and the edge of the creek below. The dam was perpendicular to this cement slab we were sitting on and extended about 100 yards to another cement wall at the other side of the creek. We were sitting on that small cement slab looking out over the creek that was still and shallow below the dam wall. The wall of the dam that faced the creek was slanted at a 45 degree angle. The creek was completely visible to the other side of the dam. There was a thick wooded area parallel to the dam with the creek in the middle. I really hope I'm not confusing (or boring) anyone with the description but this has important relevance to my story.

Basically, we were sitting on the small cement slab overlooking the creek below with the dam on our right side and the woods to our left.

It was late in the afternoon and the sun was going down over the horizon. We were chatting when we heard a faint sound of drums in the distance past the woods. It was slow but steady and we stopped talking to listen to it. Not knowing what to make of it, we started joking that maybe it was some hobos having a party in the woods. We really didn't think anything of it because it sounded so far away. The sky was starting to get really dark by this time. The drumming never stopped. It was getting louder and seemed to be coming closer to the part of the creek that was visible to us. We couldn't hear anything or anyone but the drumming. The sound of the drumming was rhythmic. It wasn't just a constant, loud thumping. It actually sounded pretty good besides the fact that it was starting to make me nervous. All of a sudden, the sound of the drumming seemed to come out from the woods and into the clearing of the creek. I just froze because I was starting to get really scared. The dusk made a small part of the creek visible with whatever light was left over from the day.

I was looking out on the water and I saw the shadow of a figure moving across the creek towards the dam. The drumming was getting louder and faster. It startled me and I pointed it out to Jeremy and told him what I saw. He was trying to play it cool and said he didn't see anything and told me not to worry. "It must have been some old guy messing with us..." I was still watching it move across the creek and then it started to move up the wall of the dam. It didn't just move, it glided up the wall. I was shocked that whoever was drumming moved up the wall with such ease and was still able to play the whole time. "It" was finally at the top of the dam. That's when it started coming towards us and getting even LOUDER and FASTER! Jeremy finally admitted that he could hear it getting closer and started to suggest that we leave. I was way ahead of him. I grabbed my stuff and started heading towards the corner of the cement slab, the beginning of the dam and the trail back up to my car.

It terrified me because I had to walk closer to whatever or whoever was coming towards us in order to leave. I thought about looking out towards "the drummer" to see if I could make out what or who it was. But I was way too scared and just wanted to get in my car and leave as soon as possible. I was trekking up the hill with Jeremy behind me and all of a sudden - the music stopped! This scared me more than I already was because I knew it must be following us up the trail by that point. We ran as fast as we could, climbed inside my car and got the hell out there!

That was the single most terrifying moment of my life. I barely said a word to Jeremy on the way back to his house. After I dropped him off, I took the long drive back to my house trying to figure out what that could have been. It's very possible it was someone trying to mess with us. I don't see how they could have known we were there because we weren't talking loudly and it was too dark for them to see us on that slab. I've been in other situations where people would scare me and my friends with some grand scheme. This didn't seem that at all. I mean, this was really going out of someone's way just to scare a couple of kids. The most startling thing about that whole experience was the fact that it moved up that wall so easily while playing the drums. It sounded like a small bongo drum that could be strapped around someone's body.

To this day, I still think about that night and try to come up with some logical explanation for what or who was out there with us. I still have no idea.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ladypictureshow, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-16)
O man, you GOTTA go back and take some photos or whatnot--maybe even bring a drum along and see if you can't conjure this up again. I loved reading this and it was very suspenseful. Perhaps it was a native spirit? I doubt it was human based on its movement up a sheer wall. Very interesting!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-13)
Well, that was indeed quite frightening! Have you ever heard of any other incidents concerning those woods?

Thanks for sharing.
huendchen (49 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-13)
Ok I don't get scared easily but that story really scared me! You told it so well, I felt like I was right there hearing that drum. I guess I let my imagination run away with me:) Thanks so much for posting!

Huendchen.
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-12)
That creeped me out! I used to love hanging out in wooded areas around here, and nothing creeps me out worse than entities in those kind of areas!
ladypictureshow (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-11)
Thank you for your comment Senseye. The slab that he and I were sitting on dropped off one side. The only way out was to walk back over towards the dam. Which made the experience that much scarier. Thanks for reading.
JohorMsia (16 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-11)
Hmm, I guess the entity has a hobby too. It loves drumming. We will never know for sure the mysteries of life.
senseye (4 stories) (32 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-11)
i believe that all ghost/spirit can feel or see us, if we are scared or if we are in pain. I think they like that
anyways your story is scary, if I were on your shoes I wouldn't have the courage to walk straight to where that figure and sound are coming... I would've probably take the long way to get to the car and also the fact that your friend cannot see that added more creeps to me 😨

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: