You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Strange Things That Happen On Hoodoo Mountain

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Things That Happen On Hoodoo Mountain

 

This is a story that happened to my brother and me about 16 years ago. We lived at the feet of Hoodoo Mountain in northern Idaho. We did a lot of hunting so on any particular day during hunting season, when we returned from school, we would grab our rifles and head up the mountain on foot to see what we could find.

On this particular trip things just felt a little different. Neither my brother nor I could place it so we just went on. We were known to stay out after dark on some of these trips so no one would be looking for us until around dinner. Well, we set off and were getting pretty far away, and before we knew it, it was dark and therefore time to head home, so we turned around and headed back, or so we thought.

Now let me explain about Hoodoo Mountain for those of you who have never been in that area. It is known for people to head up there and commit suicide for no apparent reason. There have been many "unexplained" deaths on this mountain as well as "lost" hunters all the time. There was an old cabin on it nearly 100 years ago but it burned down with a woman and child inside (I have seen them both but that is another story.), and to top it off the Native Americans in that area are the ones that named it and roughly the name translates to evil spirit, and they were known to avoid the area when passing.

Back to my story, my brother and I had turned around and were headed home, we knew our direction, because we had done it a thousand times before, we just turned to where the moon was rising and walked that way. From where we were it would be rising right above our house.

We were walking downhill- at least we thought we were. We had been walking awhile and it was kind of weird to us that we hadn't come across the road that ran up the mountain but we thought nothing of it because everything else looked right so we kept walking. We went on for like 30-45 minutes and we should have hit the road by then but we hadn't.

About this time I heard a wolf howl and I recognized it as my pet that was tied up in front of the house, but it was coming from the wrong direction and farther away than it should have been, it was coming from behind us. Now I know he was securely tied up and couldn't get free, so my brother and I looked at each other and exchanged " What the heck's", then started to head towards the howl. At this point I began calling his name, and he would howl in return, in this way we used that to guide us home.

This doesn't sound like more than a couple of kids getting lost, and spooked up to this point, but the part that makes this weird is that we KNEW that area like the back of our hands, and everything had changed to make us feel like we were heading down that mountain not up like we were supposed to. The make up of the terrain, even the moon appeared in the wrong place.

We later went back up there to try and explain it away and found out that where we had turned around was right where that cabin had stood so many years ago.

It is my firm belief that had my wolf not called to me when he did, we would have been added to the spirits of that mountain.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Idaho

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, armymp76544, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Walter_R (1 stories) (81 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-09)
I've hunted west of Hoodoo Mountain, that was back in the year of 1996, there was a lot of snow that year. We didn't get our cow elk but my dad and I both got buck deer that year but that was even farther west from Hoodoo Mountain.

Up north closer to Coeur d'Alene I was hunting with my hounds and hunting for bear, I was with 2 of them but the 3rd one wasn't around and after awhile I figured out he knew where the camp was so I followed his yell and I found camp, so I can understand your story, I had also gotten turned around that day and that area I had hunted a lot too. I think it's because after awhile you get so tired walking that your mind gets turned around and your going the wrong way.

That was years ago, none of these dogs are a live today.

Take care,

Walter
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-17)
Thanks for the story that's so neat you own a wolf. Unfortunately there are too many people in Northern Idaho that hate wolves, but I'm not one of them. I live in coeur d' alene, idaho so is the hoodoo mountain you are talking about in Bonner County? I would love to hear some more stories about it if you ever get the time. You can either post them on here or email me

Scrapmetalkitten[at]yahoo.com

My husband's parents live on a mountain located on Cherry Creek Road in Saint Maries, ID and I've experienced some creepy things out there.
armymp76544 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-30)
succubiluv
Sorry it has taken so long to reply to your post I don't get on the net much anymore

Yes it was very appropriately named one of these days I will post more stories about that mountain when I get more time
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-13)
Based on your experience there, this mountain was certainly named appropriately...
armymp76544 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-19)
senseye
Do you notice any changes to your wolf the next day? Like weakness or something? Maybe he absorb the bad omen to get you back.

No he was the same happy and playful companion he had always been he was however VERY happy to see us that night.
armymp76544 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-19)
rhodes68
From what you're saying in your story it seems that even you are still not sure if it was your wolf howling.

I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that it was my wolf calling to me this was just one of many strange experiences that we had with this area I will write more later about those
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-19)
I LOVE elemental "hauntings" like this. It could be that you just happened to get turned around eventhough you knew where you were going, but perhaps the wilderness was toying with you. I love this type of story because I'm fascinated by the idea that the land itself is alive and inhabited by the spirits of things that are not, and never were, human--"the elementals!" Creeeeepy.
senseye (4 stories) (32 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-16)
very nice story, I remember my dog who howls one night and found dead in the morning that made me really sad...

my grandmother said when a house dog howls it means bad things, someone might get an accident or get sick or even worse die, but when the dog is very close to the owner it will call for his life to exchange for whatever awful things that's goin to happen to the person close to him. I don't know if its true or just a story to make me feel better.
Do you notice any changes to your wolf the next day? Like weakness or something? Maybe he absorb the bad omen to get you back.

great story I will add this to my favorites!
thank you for sharing!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-16)
From what you're saying in your story it seems that even you are still not sure if it was your wolf howling.

Still I think that animals have psychic powers which are enhanced provided they share a tight bond with their human companions. Who knows what happened that night-who gave you a helping hand?!

I had a horse once. One day on my way to the horse-riding club, I had an accident. I was told that Pegasus (my horse) went crazy in its box at the exact same time I had the accident. He was hitting against the walls up to a point where he injured himself.

Thanks for sharing your story. It was really interesting.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: