You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Just Checking In

Real Ghost Stories

Just Checking In

 

Both my parents worked full-time, which left me and our two dogs, Mickey and Fritz, to fend for ourselves. It was my last summer vacation before I would begin high school, and I had marching band rehearsal every Monday and Wednesday from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. My best friend and her mom would pick me up at around 4:30 to take us to the practice field. My mom bought me Healthy Choice TV Dinners to make before I left.

One day, in late August, just three months or so after the death or my Uncle Al, I had just sat down with my TV dinner (turkey and stuffing was always my favorite).

Someone was in the basement.

As soon as I had started to pick at my Turkey I heard scuffling noises. I heard someone walk across the basement floor. I heard someone begin to ascend the stairs.

My only thoughts revolved around intruders in black face masks with guns. I wasn't sure what to do. I had locked the doors. Nothing unusual happened that day. I didn't notice anyone break in. We had windows in our basement but I couldn't even fit through those- and I only weighed 98 pounds.

However, the footsteps continued. Mickey and Fritz didn't bark, however, but simply stared at the landing. Suddenly, the footsteps stopped as if someone had just come to a halt beside the kitchen counter, and I heard a soft thump as if someone was leaning against it watching me. The room was suddenly filled with the aroma of pipe tobacco.

My Uncle Al always smoked a pipe.

This happened every afternoon until I started school.

Other hauntings by frenchpoet

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, frenchpoet, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-18)
Wll I have to go with Rhodes here. I think the dogs knew it was your uncle. Thank you for sharring this story with us. I realy did like it. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-18)
Yeah, I agree with Becky, it does seem like your Uncle is keeping an eye on you and yes it is still spooky:P

So I guess... We have no privacy? Lol. I mean our deceased family members look over us... I wonder if they look, if we're having a private moment? EEW GROSS! GRANDPA! GO AWAY! LOL!
frenchpoet (10 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
Thank you for your comments and thank you rhodes68 for your compliments on my stories! I really appreciate it =]
sagemizu (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-16)
Your uncle was probably checking up on you making sure you were safe seeing you were home alone with two dogs.
Becky (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-16)
My husband often smells french toast and other things his grandmother used to make for him while growing up. His grandmother never met me while she was alive nor do we live anywhere remotely close to where she lived. I think they just know we need some confirmation once in a while.

Sounds like your Uncle was keeping an eye on you while your parents worked and you were alone.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-16)
Obviously Mickey and Fritz liked your uncle Al which explains why they wouldn't bark. He was welcome.

I must say though, that's still spooky!

Thanks for a great story frenchpoet!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: