You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghosts In Garron Tower

Real Ghost Stories

Ghosts In Garron Tower

 

This experience is very recent and most details of the spirit's appearances were unfamiliar to me, making description difficult.

I have not been able to narrate any of my gripping tails of paranormal adventure in a long while because of the awful reality of end of year exams in my school. I mention this because my school is rather notorious for its many hauntings and history.

I attend Garron Tower which is situated outside Carnlough on the Coast Road on the way to Larne. The building is a large mansion built in the style of a typical medieval castle, which had come back into fashion in the late 1800s. The owner of the castle was the Marchioness of Londonderry; Francis Anne Vane.

When she died, it was then passed on to her son who had no love for the building and neglected it, at the event of his death it was passed on to Vane's grandson; Winston Churchill. Being the Prime Minister, he had no time for the castle so it was donated to the British Tourist Industry which transformed it into a hotel; it was then devastated by fire and was later turned into a school which it still is today.

In its long history many tragic deaths have occurred including students who threw themselves off the high cliffs over the sea which the castle overlooks.

I am a student attending the school and this was the week of the end of term examinations. Our exam centre was situated in the 'old castle' as it is named now since there are modern school buildings attached to the original structure.

I was presently seated, furiously attempting an English examination on the 9th June at approximately eleven o'clock when the oddest thing occurred. A strange hovering globe appeared over the shoulder of one of the teachers and presently moved at apparently random motions around the room. I was astounded that only I could see it. It approached me three times about five paces from me. I did not reach out to touch it for fear of looking the fool and being disqualified from the exam. It went through all the possibilities in my head of what it could be, I ruled out the possibility of a watch reflection since the light was spherical and not confined to a wall. After the exam had concluded, we left and I saw no more of it.

At lunch time of the 14th June I was sitting with my two friends in the old garden of the castle when a woman walked with an odd spring to her step. She was wearing odd clothes, a white gown like thing with a strange bonnet and all manner of strange old fashioned garments. She walked straight through a group of boys, who did not see her but looked over their shoulders at something they felt but did not see. She too vanished as she neared us.

I researched any sightings of white woman ghosts in Garron Tower but found none but I was sure I saw one.

The final spectre which calls my school his home is a well known figure, commonly known as the 'Black Butler' since his surname was Black and his occupation was butler to the patrons of Garron Tower Hotel in the early 1900s. When the fire started, he was confined to his tower quarters and he was forced to jump out the window for his life. He later died of his injuries from the fall. (There are many variations of this story; nobody is quite certain if that is how or where he died).

I was doing a Geography exam, since it was such a small class they sent us to the drawing room'. An outstandingly beautiful place and a well know hangout of our subject spirit. I began the exam and the typical, exam time hush ensued. I was concentrating to the best of my ability when something caught my eye, moving in the corner of a room.

A man dressed in an old fashioned tuxedo was sitting cross legged on the chair. His figure was blurred and distorted but he stayed there for around five minutes (of which I stared at him) until his form faded into nothingness. When his form appeared a strange cold crashed through the room (it was a very hot summer day), it made the other students and teachers look around, that is why the form vanished.

I concluded from the style of clothing that it was the Black Butler.

It was a very rare treat to view these things because we are not normally permitted to enter the old castle and its gardens in case someone vandalises them. It was visit well worth paying.

Tell me your opinions; on this set of stories.

Other hauntings by Niall

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Niall, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Weelynnie (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-04)
Hi Niall like you I am a pupil at garron tower now st killians college and while using the computer room at st Mary's I saw a white lady ghost that matched your description and like yourself searched it on the web. This came up. Thank You for your story.
gogreenjessi (26 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-26)
wow. Well if nobody else saw it you must be gifted in the paranormal. A true sensitive! Now as for the cold, that is typically caused by entities using the energy around them to manafest themselves.
Doesn't seem harmful, or a threat to you in any way whatsoever. If I were you, I would continue investigating!
HAVE FUN WITH YOUR ENTITY! Lol
~Jessi
Noel (1 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-05-18)
Hmm nice story but going to the school, I'm not so sure I'm willing to believe too much of it to be honest. I mean we sorta did that Geography exam where we did every other exam that year and the school gardens are sorta out of bounds? Unless, of course, I missed something?
patc (1 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2008-10-23)
niall I also attended gt but for longer than you-interesting but find it somewhat stretching the truth. Ease of the asprin
Niall (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-18)
To be perfectly honest rhodes68, I was quite surprised at my own astounding fortune at seeing those things, I think the place was just occupied by many powerful spirits.
I have been in the school for over four years and that is the first time I have seen any. I was very fortunate.

The book is still being written, it is a collection of my own short stories, some fiction and some reality, some of it has been published by local magzines but hopefull one day I will get it published 😊

Thank you all for your comments (the exams were tough)
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-18)
Hi Nial what a great story! I always like to read about a haunted schools. This story was very interesting. I have a feeling that you don't talk about these incidents with friends do you? Thasnk you for sharring another great story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-18)
Hi Niall and thanks for an intriguing story!

I'm quite skeptical when someone claims to effortlessly capture so many flashes of the underworld but there's something about your story whether that is in your tone or the descriptions themselves that does it for me.

Rhodes, in the south-east of Greece, is an island of many names: "The Island of the Deer"-they are so many in the forests that they are the emblem of the island. "God Apollo's Island"-it's the sunniest of all places. Finally, "the Island of the Knights" since it had been inhabitted by Knights for centuries.

These have left their traces behind:the grand castles and palaces even a whole city-where I live. All the houses,streets, fountains etc date back to the Middle Ages.

My point is that, having lived in such a place and having experienced all the things one is likely to experience there, I can definitely capture the picture!

I noticed you have published a book (I read that in your profile). I was wondering if I could purchase it somehow.

Thanks
missydee (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
Hi, Thanks for sharing another great story! I have enjoyed reading them.
Good luck with the exams!

😊 ❤ 😊
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-16)
Wow, I have always been intrigued by all of the stories in Irland. I have a good friend that is from ireland and I love it when she starts telling me things that happen to her. I am sure that with the castle being so old it has many stories behind it's walls. Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: