You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: At The Museum 2

Real Ghost Stories

At The Museum 2

 

I wrote earlier about my job in the local museum. If you haven't read that story, it would be a good idea to do so now, just to get an idea of the layout of the buildings, and to know what has happened so far.

A few days after I had written my last story, I was sitting at my desk in the office building. This building has a door facing the street that I keep propped open with a brick so people passing by will see that the museum is open. There I was sitting and cataloging some old books when I heard a loud scrapping noise. I looked up and saw the brick sliding away from the door, than the door slammed shut. I ran over to see what had caused it but could find nothing. The wind wasn't strong enough to push the door shut, and there was no one around. The brick hadn't just been pushed by the door, it looked as though it had been pulled away, allowing the door to slam. This has happened five times over all. Two of the times it was quite windy out, so I assumed the wind was the culprit, but for the other three times I haven't a clue.

For the first month or so that I worked in the museum I always had a strange feeling whenever I walked into the cabin. It was like I had just barged in somewhere uninvited. It never felt totally mean, and I never felt threatened, but I never felt welcomed either. In fact, as the days went on, I began to feel as if whatever was there was teasing me.I would hear whispers or footsteps from one room, go to check it out, and hear those noises in the room I had just left.

Other times I would put something down, turn away, and when I looked back it would be moved. Not a lot, but enough that I could tell. This went on until one day about two weeks ago. That was a rough day. Genius that I am, I had stayed up way to late the night before, and, as a result, was very tired. It had been raining and my feet were wet (I hate that). To top it all off, the very first thing I saw when I went into the cabin was a giant spider; I hate them even more than wet feet. In short, I was a very cranky tour guide.

As I was opening up the cabin that lousy day, one of the table clothes began whipping back and forth loudly and quickly. Before that day when something happened that I couldn't explain, I would get spooked. That day, though, I was in no mood to be played around with, so I just rolled my eyes, said "whatever" and continued on with my work. The tablecloth instantly stopped moving and from between me and the table, I heard a soft giggle.

Since that day, whenever I walk into the cabin it feels warm and welcoming. I no longer feel like I don't belong there. Things still happen, but it doesn't feel like teasing.

The latest strange thing to happen in the cabin was last weekend. There had been quite a few visitors and as a result I was there later than usual. In the cabin I saw wet foot prints on the floor in the back kitchen. They looked as though someone with wet feet had walked from the doorway to the main room to where there was a larger wet spot in front of the table where the guest book is, exactly what you would get if somebody with wet shoes had stood there for a few minutes reading the names. Now, this in itself wouldn't have been odd except for one thing. I had been in the kitchen and had just walked to the doorway to tell my Mom I would be a few more minutes.

There were no prints when I walked to the door, and they were there when I turned back. I was tired and it was late, so I decided to ignore it and close up for the night. As I walked from the kitchen to the main room, I saw someone poke their head out of a bedroom, look at me, than go back into the room.

I couldn't make out any detail since they were between me and the light and was just a silhouette. All I could tell was this person was about the same height as me, five feet (yeah, yeah I'm a shorty). It seemed to me as if they were saying "You still here?" I went into the room to check, but, of course, it was empty. Like I said, it had been a long day and I was tired, so I just closed the curtains, turned out the lights, told whoever was there "goodnight" and went home.

Other hauntings by wanderer

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, wanderer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kisho (2 stories) (60 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-20)
Sounds to me like the ghost has decided that they can't scare you, and has in turn become more curious than anything.

I think you've made a friend =3
Katona1700s (8 stories) (168 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-19)
Hey wanderer. I'm new so I really don't have a clue how to post my storys, I'm learning a little bit but that isn't really helping. Well anyway, I love this story and I hope you have some more storys for us:)

Take care 😁
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-19)
Hi Wonderer. I realy liked this story. Even though you were Tired I would be freaked out if I saw a head out of the corner. Very creepy. Thanks for sharring another great story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-19)
Yeah, I know folks like that who are only in it for the reaction they can affect. Since you experienced this firsthand my suggestion is to trust your instincts regarding paranormal motives. Please keep us posted of any developments.

I will try to write an account of some of my experiences at the living history museum. I haven't yet because most of the events ocurred in various buildings and consisted of either footsteps and abrupt noises or sensations--which are rather subjective and difficult to quantify. I also have two incidents--one from when I was an adolescent and the other transpired two years ago--that I want to post to ask for comments and opinions because I am still not sure what to make of them. My schedule has been unusually hectic, but I'll try to post them in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the interest.
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-18)
Im glad you guys are enjoying the stories. I feel pretty lucky to work there.
Kecoughtan I would love to hear more about your experiences in your museum. Would that be something you would consider writing about?
I have to say I think the ghost stoped doing the strange things because I didn't have the same reaction as usual. I know (living) people who do annoying things to get a reaction out of others, if the person ignores them though, they stop. Ghosts might not be so different in that respect. But, really, who knows? 😉
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
Thank you for the update, wanderer! I agree with the assessment of the postings--it appears that whatever is in the cabin has grown accustomed to you. And, being overly tired that day may have lowered your defenses and rendered you more open.

I used to work for a colonial living history museum in Virginia. In the evenings, I would unlock the buildings, set up whatever was required for the scheduled program, monitor access to the building during the performance then break down and lock up, so I often spent hours alone and illuminated only by candle light. Many of my co-workers and I experienced inexplicable events and several of the buildings felt very unwelcoming. Many of my co-workers prayed before entering; I developed a routine in which I audibly announced myself, apologized for the intrusion, and explained that I was there as a caretaker to protect the building so that the program could educate the public about our colonial past and the lives that had been lived in the building. I doubt if all the buildings were "occupied" but it was a calming ritual that I did every time. After that I had some wonderful experiences and--except for one house--never again felt hostility. When I left the job in order to start school, it was the living not the disembodied that I was happy to leave behind. 😊 I hope you continue to be accepted and enjoy your time at the museum!
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
Hi Wanderer,
In the beginning it seem that maybe the spirits didn't know you and had to get used to you as you did with them. Maybe that is why you get a warm welcome feeling when entering the cabin now.

I haven't seen many stories about haunted museums on this site so far so reading your accounts has been quite a treat. Keep them coming! 😁

Jennifer ❤
IBelieve (3 stories) (31 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
I think maybe the spirits or what ever is at the museum decided to give you a break considering you were more aggitated then scared. Possibly you and them are just getting use to each other. Again maybe a grumpy tour guide is scarier then a ghost lol.
I've enjoyed all you posting and hope you continue writing in.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
Welcome wanderer and thanks for sharing another fascinating encounter at the museum.

It seems that whoever's there is well aware of your presence-there's curiosity on his part and a sense of hesitation.

I'll be looking forward to reading more of your stories in the future.

Take care.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: