You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: Child Psychic

Real Ghost Stories

Child Psychic

 

As a very young child, I would often see ghosts wandering about the house and historical grounds of the large 19th century farmhouse in which my family lived. I would awake in the middle of the night to see them sitting beside my bed, and I would have screaming fits that brought my parents in to the room, often to spank me for poor behavior.

As I became older and began to understand what I was seeing, I grew quieter about the subject, hiding it from my mother who came from a long line of psychics and mediums. I didn't expect her to understand, despite her lineage and interest in the subject.

It wasn't until the birth of my sister when I was nearly 6 years old that I began to speak up about my experiences. My family murmured about my beautiful baby sister, murmured to each other that she obviously had "the gift," despite the family belief that the "gift" skipped a generation, or that it appeared in a pattern of strength, weakness, strength, weakness...

I knew then that what she had was impermanent, and it made me jealous that they believed they saw in her what I knew was in myself.

I remember one day in particular that my mother put my sister in her crib for a nap, and returned several minutes later to the sounds of the baby crying. When she and I came upon the nursery, we discovered that the firmly closed door was ajar, and that my sister was yet again snoring softly. What my mother did not know about the experience was that I saw a middle-aged woman sitting in the chair next to the crib.

When we moved into the house we had built further along the lane of the same property, it was apparent that the ghosts had a connection to the land, not just the previous house. I would see them more and more frequently; I even began hearing them by the time I was about 12.

When I was 13, I entered a phase of fascination with the American Civil war. I had antiques of the period lying about my bedroom, and I believe my avid interest may also have stirred long forgotten figures of the past. I began seeing soldiers, not only in my house, but outside the house. These events sparked memories of my experience of Gettysburg, a schooltrip taken when I was 10.

During that trip, we visited a battlefield, and the sounds of gunfire and yelling reverberating in my ears were too much for me to handle, and, with hands over my ears, begged my teacher to let me return to the school bus. Of course, this is another story to be explained at another time.

So when I began to see the apparitions around my own home, you can only imagine how frightening it was to me. One in particular appeared to me every night without fail, at the end of the hallway outside of my bedroom. It was a Northern soldier with a scraggly beard and hollowed (but not missing) eyes. Each night, he advanced closer, frightening me to the point where I was afraid to leave my room, night or day. It was in mid-afternoon one summer day that I opened my door, and there was the angry soldier, staring directly at me from less that a foot away. I ran screaming onto the porch, where I fainted at my father's feet. It was then that my mother knew I indeed had the gift.

Over the years in that house, members of my family and myself frequently saw a black cat darting up and down the stairs, a farm doctor we lovingly named Doc who would turn the television off when he felt the program was inappropriate, his wife who often comforted me during my times of distress, and many more, all stories for another day.

We are now living in a different house, full of paranormal activity that I shall write about in another post.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, la_belle_du_theatre, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

theyknowallmysecrets (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-16)
hello! I have some of the same experiences as you do, only toned down. My mother is, I believe, a mild psychic. She sees spirits and hears some voices. I have inheriated some of the same things, but I am more of a seeer. I get da-jah-vo (I am very sorry I don't know how to spell that 😁) a lot. And I can guess where things are hidden simply by closing my eyes with 100 percent accuracy. I believe that the spirit world is very real, and I honestly wish I had your gift. Be safe ❤
Francois (220 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-17)
Greetings,

Bonjour, la belle du theatre. I see you have the special gift of clairvoyance. Are you a member of a paranormal investigations team? Many of these paranormal teams seek people with a special gift like yours. Your story was indeed frightening but I guess if you get used to the hauntings, the fear would eventually subside.

Thank you for posting your wonderful story. Please post more, I cannot wait to read about your experiences. And one more thing, my favourite characters in Wicked the musical are the Wizard and Madame Morrible. Who are your favourite characters in the musical? God bless, deus vobiscum and take care. Never fear the paranormal and keep up the good job in Defying gravity.

Sincerely,

Francois
Rebelboy1987 (9 stories) (186 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
I might REALLY need any advice you can give about my experience last night. The story should be published shortly. It is titled "Strange Things Go Bump in the Night". I don't mean to put any pressure on you. But if you feel anything or have had similar experiences, please let me know. Thanks

Trent
la_belle_du_theatre (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-23)
Nightshade, I would totally love to talk to you sometime. Born on Halloween, huh? It's my favourite holiday so consider yourself lucky. 😁

Tonith, I often find myself feeling it's more of a curse than a gift... I can't honestly say that using this unusual talent is something that interests me, but it would make an interesting side job. 😜

Missydee, it was... No, still IS very scary.

Oglegen, I think we need to have a bit of a chat.:) Do you have AIM or MSN?

Poltergeist45, no fair! I want to switch houses with you! Haha You can feel free to message me any time on AIM or MSN... I think I have my contact things in my profile.

ChrisB, thanks for the welcome.:) I'll definately be posting again soon.

Darklink13, I can assure you I tell the truth.

darklink13 (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-23)
ya it was cool prittey reallistic you have interesting stories and I hope you allways tell the truth in ghost stories 😕
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-23)
That indeeed is very scary. I would have to say seeing that at such a young age would basically kill me. Thanks for the great story and I can't wait to read the next ones. By the way I forgot to Welcome you here to this site. It will be nice to have you around here Racheal. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
poltergeist45 (1 stories) (46 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-22)
Hi, thanks a lot for the story! I love reading stories about people like you, I myself am not a medium or sensitive like you but have always wondered what it would be like? I too have an interterest in the Civil War, infact I live 10 minutes away from Antietam Battlefeild 😊. Thanks again!
Oglegen (6 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-22)
Brilliant story! I'm really looking forward to hearing more from you. I'd be very interested, judging from your perceptions as a child, how many spirits you think are around a place at one time, whether they're noticeable or not? I suppose it depends on the land, of course, but maybe, within a town centre? Or in a city house?
missydee (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-22)
Hi,
That must of been so scarey as a child to have seen so many spirits! I can't wait to read more of your posts.

❤ 😊 ❤
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-22)
Guess that's why some call it a gift and others think of it as a curse. I can't imagine being a child experiencing all that and not being able to talk about it to ease your fears.It's a shame you had to faint to convince your parents (who should have known better coming from the background of mediums in the family) that you indeed did have the "gift". I hope they are more understanding about it now and I hope you are more comfortable with it as well. You could be of great service to others being as sensitive as you are. We need people who can help those trapped inbetween worlds and we need people who can educate those that are having paranormal experiences and think they are going crazy. Who knows this may be your calling in life to help others understand what is happening to them when it comes to the unexplained.
Nightshade (40 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-21)
Wow, that's really cool. I'm 14, and I'm really intrested in supernatural stuff. But, what happened at your house, I mean, WOW! Sorry that I can't think of any real adectives, but that is just awesome that you have the gift! I know that some stories are so not real, they're just way too fantasyish, but that is one story that I SO believe! Anyways, I was born on halloween, so, I have the gift to communicate with the dead. Isn't that cool? We have something in common!
la_belle_du_theatre (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-21)
Thanks everyone for your kind words. Sarahan, nope, he didn't monitor internet activity, as far as I know... The computer did turn off by itself once in a while... Trent, I'd love to try to help you understand some of the things you're dealing with.

Rachael
<3
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-21)
That was a fascinating story la belle and a very fascinating life to live.

Thanks for joining us and hope to have you back with more.

Welcome

😊
againsarahan (34 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-21)
Does the good Doctor monitor internet activities as well as t.v. Program contents? That is just too wonderful. I'm glad you had something to counterbalance the terrifying soldier. Please tell us more! Thanks!
sarahan
Rebelboy1987 (9 stories) (186 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-20)
Thats a really cool story. I can't wait to hear more from you. Maybe you could possibly help me understand some of the things that happened to me. Thanks for sharing!

Trent

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: