You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Good Dog

Real Ghost Stories

Good Dog

 

My last story was the kind of thing that by the standards of this site could be considered a little bland, no apparitions, no noises, merely a presence felt. Well this one has a little more substance to it. A couple years ago I was living with my friend whom I will call -B-, in his townhouse condo. Also living there was -M- who was -B-'s girlfriend and our other friend -D-.

We were sitting around one night chatting in the living room and it started to get darker but we didn't bother to turn on any lights as it got darker. Many hours later it was completely black in the house, we could no longer see each other, we could still sort of make out the outline of the furniture.

I don't remember who mentioned it first but sitting right beside the chair -B- was sitting in there was a shape, sort of indistinct in the poor lighting but visible, which was strange given that I couldn't make out the other 3 people in the room. We all agreed we could see it and then it sort of moved across the room and down the stairs toward the basement.

The shape was about the size of a medium dog, like a German Shepherd or Labrador, and while -B- did own a dog it was a mixed Pomeranian-Chihuahua breed which was little bigger than a football.

After that I had one other experience with our spirit, -B-, -M-, and -D- were all visiting -D-'s family in our sister city 3 hours away, and I had to work so I had the house to myself. I was taking some garbage to the dumpster and had just come in the back door to hear my cell phone ringing. I pushed the door shut as I ran to get my phone and then wandered up to my room while talking to whoever it was that phoned, I don't remember if it was my parents or our friend -L-.

When I woke up the next morning I realized I had been so caught up in my phone I had left the back door unlocked as it has no hand lock, only the deadbolt. I went to the back door to find the deadbolt was now locked. No-one else arrived home until that evening at which time we found that the light bulb outside the back door was missing. Light bulbs are frequently used as a surface to heat methamphetamines on for smoking. I think the spirit locked the door to keep a meth head out who might have robbed or damaged the house.

Also -B- says he actually saw it once. He was alone in the basement, where all 4 of our computers were set up for socializing while we were on our computers. He caught movement out of the corner of his eye and turned his head toward the stairs. There was the head of a golden retriever poking around the edge of the stairs. As he got up it pulled its head back out of site, he checked over the whole house without any sign of it.

Other hauntings by dukemanistan

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dukemanistan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghosthaunter89 (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-31)
Any spirit has the key to do anything it has the desire to fool the naked eye rhodes, whether it is human, animal, or non human.
Nicky7x (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-31)
That sounds like something a golden retriever would do I know mine still comes and checks up on me and my family and she been gone for a few months now ❤
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Hi maybe that golden retriever, was watching over ya'll, and was checking in to make sure ya'll were alright. As for the dead bolt, it might have been the retriever's owner, noticing that someone was fixing to go into your house, and they locked the door so that person get in to hurt you, or be able to steal anything. Thanks for sharing the story. 😊
TwistedWispersNeko (3 stories) (90 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-12)
I like the golden retriever. I think it may have locked it. I had a great dane, who would watch how we unlocked and locked the gate locks, and after we left, or went back into the house, she would unlock it and run around. We went through 4 gate locks before we found one that stumped her.

Sorry for the late post.
dukemanistan (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
Thanks for your comments folks, I am pretty sure the dog came with the house, and maybe stayed there when I left and -B-'s Grandmother decided to sell the place.

Not sure why but I never considered the possibility that there were two spirits in the house, I always assumed the dog locked the door. -B- was saying there were other times the spirit seemed to do things to protect the house, like locking doors, or turning off the stove if someone was cooking something and fell asleep.
Katona1700s (8 stories) (168 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
Maybe there is more than one spirtit. The one that locked the door might not want itself to be known but cares about the saftey of the house and the Golden retriever may just be a friendly spirit or It could belong to the other ghost.

I don't really have any other advice, hope you find out more. Maybe you could look up the houses history. 😊 ❤
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-23)
...wait a sec... So a doppleganger can take on the shape of a person, a ghost can walk through walls, a demon can make prank calls, but the specter of a golden retriever cannot lock a door? Considering how vast and varied the world of the paranormal is, how little we know FOR SURE about it, and how random hauntings seem to sometimes be, how can we place limitations on this sort of thing?

Again, we just don't know ANYthing about this stuff for sure, so who are we to say this image of the dog and the locking of the door could not be connected? 😊
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-23)
Rhodes68 is right again, but I personally think the 'Golden Retriever' spirit must be a good spirit to your family and to you.

So the conclusion is that the spirit was already there before you, so its his home, so he decide to lock the back door to prevent a robbery from happening...
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-23)
Well, I don't really see how the spirit of a Golden Retriever could have locked the front door unless it is a spirit that changes forms. Maybe there's much more going on in the house than you originally thought.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: