You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: The Ghost Of Ward Essex

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost Of Ward Essex

 

This story carries on from 'The Mist of Ward Essex'. As I explained in my last story, I heard earlier this year of the ghost of a woman who supposedly haunts the corner of Ward Street and Essex Road in Indooroopilly, Brisbane, Australia. Living in the area, I thought I would check it out and was lucky enough to actually capture something I could only describe as a fluorescent white mist with my camera (see my last story).

Since my first encounter with this ghost/spirit/whatever, I have been making regular trips (roughly weekly) back to the site with the hope of finding and capturing it again. Three months later, on the night of the 23rd of June, I succeeded.

During my 'ghost hunts' (for lack of a better word), I would generally observe the area for a couple of hours starting anywhere as early as 8pm or as late as 2am. I would also bring with me something to occupy myself, i.e. book, magazine, work etc. It does, after all, get pretty boring after awhile, as I'm sure you can imagine. Thankfully, winter isn't particularly cold in Brisbane (unless you're a Brisbanite). My procedure basically involved looking up from my occupation every now and then to see if anything out of the ordinary was going on.

On this particular night, I observed the area between the hours of 1am and 3am, roughly. It would have been around 3am when I decided to call it quits for the night. I was just packing up when, to my astonishment, I spotted the same fluorescent mist I had seen on my previous encounter across the street from me. I quickly (re) unpacked my camera and hurried closer for a better shot.

Ghost Of Ward Essex

It was dancing around the street light post (see picture) when it suddenly stopped mid-flight and hovered some height above the ground. It now resembled a faintly glowing white ball. Underneath it appeared a sort of grey mass. I was lucky to shoot a single picture of it from a distance before it faded away.

Lucky though I consider myself to be to have witnessed such a manifestation, it is unfortunate that I was not as prepared as I could have been. Were I closer and my camera actually prepared, I would have gotten some far closer and more detailed shots. As it were, my single shot will have to do.

On closer inspection of my photo, I believe I have captured footage of a full-body apparition. The shape of the grey mass does appear (roughly) to be of both human size and shape with the white ball as a head.

I am now done with the site and its ghost as I have achieved what I set out to do.

Please let me know what you think.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JPing, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-04)
what an amazing picture you captured... It was well worth the wait that you put in...
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Just noticed a typo in my last comment.

"Like I also said in the story, it took me three months to get this one photo. So I have [NO] intention of spending another three just to get another..."
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-25)
Wow! Amazing picture! I enjoyed your accounting and image very much. Thanks for sharing it with us!

God Bless!
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-25)
Frawin, I would like to direct you to the story before this one on the same site (The Mist of Ward Essex) where I captured three pictures of the ghost. The link is in the first sentence of this story.

Like I also said in the story, it took me three months to get this one photo. So I have intention of spending another three just to get another. The photo I got is pretty good (underexageration) and I'm happy with it.

If there are some people who aren't convinced by my less than shoe box collection, then I invite them to come here and do some ghost hunting of their own (impractical though that may be for most people).

I think I'll give ghost hunting a rest for a while, though, I already know where I will conduct my next one. The Toowong Cemetery is said to be one of the most haunted places in Brisbane. There's a ghost tour that takes groups through the cemetery so I might give that a look into so I know what to look for. Apparently they're the longest running ghost tour in mainland Australia (since 1998, rofl 😆).

Thanks for the comment. 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
Hello JPing. First off, let me congratulate you on the picture, it does indeed seem like you "caught" something.
The real purpose of my comment isn't about the picture, we could argue all day on it's pros and cons. What I don't understand is how, after only one picture, you can say-"I am now done with the site and its ghost as I have achieved what I set out to do..." It would seem to me that the one picture would be enough to just get you started.
If the one picture is enough to convince yourself, then I guess that's what matters but I on the other hand would want a "shoe box" full of pictures to convince myself, as well as a few others.

Keep up the good work and happy ghost hunting 😊

FRAWIN 😁
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
Rebel, a skull you say. I have a larger and better quality copy of the image and I can't see anything. It might just be the smaller image playing tricks.

Sleep paralysis, rofl. 😆

I'd love to post the larger image, but I don't know any website which will take a 3072 X 2304 pixel image. Any suggestions?
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
I understand JPing but still that was an overwelming picture. You were "awarded" afterall.

Well, next time you'll get it just right. It's only to be expected if you have the patience to stay put in one place for so long!

Good luck-we'll be here waiting 😊
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
Rhodes, it's not so much that I'm dissapointed with my one shot, I'm dissapointed with the fact that I didn't get more when I could have. An opportunity like this doesn't come up every day. I had to wait for a couple of months after all. 😁
fizzypulp (2 stories) (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
Wow - that is very creepy.
I have only had a quick look and looking forward to looking at it on my home computer where I can adjust the colour etc.
Please keep us posted with any other investigations
Rebelboy1987 (9 stories) (186 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
I pulled this out into a picture box and then used the auto enhance feature. It looks as if you can see the object's skull. That's an insane photo though. The culprit might be sleep paralysis, hahahaha jk. Thanks for posting. Truly an amazing picture.

Trent
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
Oh MY! There is a guy standing there. This is one of the best photos I have seen here. Although you have finished ghost hunting that place, I hope you find another place to check out. And I have to say it again. GREAT PICTURE! Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
Wow! Seriously, that is a heck of a picture and to think you weren't that satisfied with the shot!

Thanks so much for submitting it!
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
That gray colored thing that the people who has commented are saying is all the gray mist thing is an aura or a spirit standing under the light lamp.
JPing (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-06-23)
Thanks guys.

No worries War.

Bette, no I'm not planning on returning. I achieved what I set out to do so there is no need. I'm sure the neighbours would appreciate it if that bum stopped coming back to their street too. 😆
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-23)
What a catch. The light pole to the left of the image is casting a shadow on the street while the image is not. This would scare the jeebies out of me. Are you planning on returning?
Warblaze (6 stories) (21 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-06-23)
ahh sorry I misread what you were talking about and when I brought up the picture all it showed were 2 balls of light. I re-read the post and now the picture is clear, I guess I had the screen tilted just the right way for it to look super dark. Sorry for the accusation
Warblaze (6 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-23)
I downloaded your picture and adjusted the brightness and contrast to see what was in the dark. You took a picture of 2 street lights friend, I'm going to have to call this fake. Although I did notice what seems to be a person standing underneath the light which is strange because I can't quite make out what it is, however the thing you are describing as the light and gray mist is simply the other street light around the corner of the street, you can see where the power cables lead off to the wooden pole and the reflection of light on the street, the "gray mist" is the light reflecting off the leaves of a tree. Id post the picture here for you all to see but I'm on a gov computer and photobucket is restricted, however, all you have to do is adjust the brightness / contrast to know what I'm talking about. Thanks for leading us on
Rebelboy1987 (9 stories) (186 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-23)
I read your other story a week ago. Those are cool pictures. I enjoyed your story. Hope you have some luck with a closer encounter. Thanks for sharing!

Trent
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-23)
Great update JPing. Too bad you missed a closer shot but it would have been a really strike anyways. I suppose you'll post the photo soon?
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-23)
Jping, nice work on your vigilant hunt. Do you think you could submit to us your photograph, please?
alex323 (5 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-23)
This is very interesting, full manifestations are unusual because of the amount of spiritual energy it takes to maintain such a form.

Hope you're more prepared next time.
❤ Alex

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: