You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Riverbed

Real Ghost Stories

The Riverbed

 

This story happened in the town in which I still live. I was 9, so I just moved to the house and I wanted to explore a little. I became friends with these two kids, Bob and Billy (don't worry, these aren't their REAL names). I asked them if they wanted to show me the riverbed in the back of the houses and they said agreed. Now, it was the rainy season, so it was partially full of water, but we had no problem getting through.

We walked down to the riverbed in shorts and T-shirts, hoping to jump into the water. So, we walked through all the trees and the bushes carefully, being especially so since there are a lot of rattlesnakes down there. We walked down far into the riverbed so we wouldn't get caught when we go into the water (we weren't aloud to go into the river when it was full of water). We all quickly jumped into the riverbed laughing at the fact that we jumped in when not aloud to (yes, I know, poor reason to laugh, very childish).

Now, walking into the riverbed I got a eerie feeling. I felt like someone was watching us, walking behind us getting closer, the closer we all got to the river. I tried to dismiss that feeling, just ignoring it like I ignored other things relative to this. When I jumped into the river (I was the last to do so), I got this horrible feeling. Now, if you read any of my other stories like "The Shotgun Guy," then you might think it's him. But no, it felt the complete oppisite of him--it felt evil.

I kept telling the guys that I wanted to leave and they kept asking why. I couldn't tell them that I felt an evil presence. No, I couldn't, they'd think I was weird. Since I couldn't convince them to leave and I didn't know the way back to my house, I was stuck there. So, once again, I tried to just ignore the feeling. I thought I could, until I saw THAT.

Bob and Billy were westling in the strong water, and I was just watching. I heard something from behind me, so I turned my head, but nothing, was there. So I just thought it might have been a rattlesnake and turned my head and watched the fight (I know, horrible way to react if there might be a rattlesnake that would most likely kill you right behind you). I heard it again, so I turned my head. This time I saw a black figure. It wasn't shadow-like, but solid and just covered completly in black from feet to head. I couldn't even see his face or anything.

I got extremly scared, I didn't know who (or what) it was. I screamed and jumped into the river. Why did I jump into the river? I do not know, reaction, I suppose. I was really short as a child (sadly, still am), so I kept going under the water. I was too freaked to swim. But the thing didn't go away. Even when I fell in, it was still there. The guys quickly came over to me (they could touch the bottom, of course). They kept me from drowning by holding me up. I could STILL see the thing. "WHAT!?" They kept asking. I pointed over to where the black thing was. They turned their heads and asked what. They couldn't see it. I fell into the water one last time and when I came back up the black figure was gone.

This black figure did nothing but stand there and stare at me. And I have no clue why I was the only one who could see it. But, yes, we quickly got out of the water and ran back up. When they asked me what happened, I just said I saw a couple rattlesnakes that were ready to bite. I didn't want them thinking I was a freak or anything. So they believed it and we never talked about it. Yes, I still go down to the riverbed. I'm no longer scared. The black figure may have seemed evil, but he/she (or it) did nothing. I still get that same feeling when I go down there, but I never seen the black figure down there ever again.

Other hauntings by GhostGal

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, GhostGal, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RebelRaider (4 stories) (15 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-29)
I think it was trying to protect you guys. Three young kids wanting to play in a full river during rainy season? It followed you trying to scare you and make you turn around. When your buddies jumped in, It tried to scare you more thinking you would run home screaming with your buddies following.

Just my two cents.
Amie_16 (2 stories) (104 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-15)
So ghostgal how can you say that the thing was staring at you? I mean you didn't see its face or anything
GhostGal (6 stories) (104 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-25)
TheUnknown,

Huh? Steel? It sounds like you're suggesting to hurt it or scare it away form there. I'm a bit confused. But I now believe he was protecting his territory, wondering why 3 kids came by.
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-25)
So much for a good story there GhostGal. The Spirit is protecting its territory. Those two kids you've mentioned in the story didn't see it because they don't HAVE the ability to see them.

Advice:Metal objects (mainly Steel) can hit ghosts. I still don't know how it works, but its effective on them.
GhostGal (6 stories) (104 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
KimSouth0,

Well, its not "woods" but a riverbed. Dead trees and bushes and all that. But yeah, it probably just his/her/its territory. Haha. I think he doesn't come back cause I didn't do anything to the riverbed while I was there, I think it trusts me that I won't do anything.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
I would agree with rhodes on this one. I have heard many experiences involving guardians of wooded areas. They watch over the areas and are the so to speak guardian angel. You indicated you have ventured pretty far in to this are, it may have alarmed the guardian and it wanted to assure the woods were to come to no harm.

Thanks for sharing!

God Bless!
GhostGal (6 stories) (104 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
rhodes68,

Ohhhh, that's what you meant! Yeah, the thing might of thought it was his/her/it's land. Hahaha.

~Gejro
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
😆Oups sorry GhostGal, of course you're a "she"- it was a typo. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

By the way by "trespassing" I meant it in a sense that the figure thought this was its own territory.
GhostGal (6 stories) (104 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
rhodes68,

*cough* It's uhhh... A she, not a he, please. She. Hence the name "ghostGal"...*cough*

~Gejro*the girl*
GhostGal (6 stories) (104 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
fizzypulp,

Yeah, the ghost didn't harm me. I think it was extremly curious. But why was it only staring at me? It didn't even look at Bob and Billy, it was like they weren't even there. Weird. But I just KNOW he is still there. But I dn't know why he won't show. But as long as he don't be freaking me out I'm fine. 😁

~Gejro
GhostGal (6 stories) (104 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
ChrisB,

I don't think I'm THAT sensitive. Pfft. Hahaha, sorry, I just don't like the fact of be being "sensitive". I know, I'm weird. But It ain't like we aren't aloud there. It's our parents that didn't want us to get wet and all. But as to why I was the only thing to see it? I don't know. I was just really scared at the time because I've never seen a black figure like that up close, haha. But thanks for the opinion!

~Gejro❤
GhostGal (6 stories) (104 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
rhodes68,

Well, I wasn't "trespassing" that IS property but they don't care if you go on. But I don't know why it don't show up no more. Haha. But it's rare for me to "fully" see something. So I was EXTREMLY surprised! Haha. Thanks for your opinion~!

~Gejro❤
fizzypulp (2 stories) (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
You are right Rhodes,
I was kind of thinking maybe it was watching something else in the riverbed hence it beign risidual but that would have been way too much of a coincidence, plus it woudlnt have stopped appearing.
I will put my smart head on again 😉
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
Yes Fizzy but had it been residual, it wouldn't have been watching him. It's more of an intelligent haunting, I presume.
fizzypulp (2 stories) (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
Hi Ghostgal,
Really enjoyed this story,
I agree with Rhodes that the figure probably is still there but hasnt shown them selves as they don't want you causing harm to yourself trying to get away.
Seems like it could be a curious ghost, just watching other people or may even be residual (can residual ghosts appear as shadow folk?)
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
Hi ghostgal. I have to agree with Tammy on this one. You are a sencetive and that is the reason you saw the black fugure and your friends didnt. Well this was a lesson well learnt. Never go on somones property without permission. Thanks for sharring this interesting story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
Hi GhostGal and thanks for sharing another experience.

There are some people who seem to be more sensitive than others which explains why you were the only one to see the shadow.

I agree, had it meant any harm, it would have done you harm-it was just observing obviously because you were "trespassing".
What I understand from what you're saying is that you still feel it's there but it doesn't appear anymore. That could mean, seeing your first reaction,it's trying to avoid the drama of you jumping back into the river and getting hurt.

Hmm! There I go again with my theories, somebody please stop me 😆

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: