You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Sister's Experiences

Real Ghost Stories

My Sister's Experiences

 

These occurrences have taken place at my sister's house over the course of the past 3 years.

The house my sister and her family live in was built by her husband's grandfather. At some point, throughout the years, even in their adult lives, every one of his aunts and his uncle has lived in the house. His grandmother died in the house.

My sister is 4 years younger than I am. She isn't one to watch scary programs or things of that nature. Mostly because her husband works out of town a lot and he doesn't get home until well after dark.

The first attention grabber she had was about 3 years ago during one of these times when her husband was working in TN. She was at home with my niece, who was only 3 at the time. It was about 9pm and she heard sounds like someone walking across the floor of the attic. This scared her and she immediately got on the phone and called me. I told her that there was no way someone could be in the attic because it is so full of junk that you can barely pull the door down without stuff falling out of it. She was still terrified and I told her to pack up my niece and come on down to mom and dad's house. She arrived about 15 minutes later, still in tears. She stayed at mom and dad's house for the next 9 nights until her husband got back home.

About 2 1/2 years ago when she was pregnant with my twin nephews, she was in the kitchen fixing supper and out of the corner of her eye she saw what she thought was my niece run down the hall wearing a white cotton dress. She was about to get upset at Kaitlyn (my niece) for playing in her "good clothes" when she turned the corner, looked down the hallway and saw no one. She went to the front door and there was Kaitlyn outside playing in the yard wearing an old pair of denim shorts and a purple shirt.

She had mentioned these things to her husband and like some men he dismissed these occurrences as her "seeing" things or just her hormones being out of whack.

Last year she had taken my two nephews to the babysitter's house and went home to relax some while waiting for my niece's bus to arrive. She has a sectional sofa and the shortest end was what faced the TV. She had made herself some popcorn and was watching TV when she saw what looked like one of her son's heads slowly rise just enough so that about an inch was visible over the end of the sofa. Of course she freaked, she slowly peeked over the end of the sofa and nothing was there. She thought she was going crazy and sat back down to continue her program. This happened 2 more times and she finally went outside to wait for the bus.

This is the kicker: about 3 days ago her husband was in the kitchen making himself a sandwich. My two nephews were asleep on the couch, my sister was watching TV lying on the couch and my niece was at her other aunt's house. Her husband came into the living room and asked where the boys were. She told him to be quiet because they were both asleep and asked why he wanted to know. It is a clear shot view from the kitchen into their living room and he could see my sister sitting in there. He told her that while he was making his sandwich, he thought one of the boys was playing with the slide lock on the door that leads down into the basement. This lock has been on that door for years now and the part that bolts is very loose and makes a distinctive noise when you try to lock or unlock it. She told him that maybe he was "hearing" things or that maybe his hormones were out of whack. He didn't appreciate this in the least bit. She told him that these were the types of things that she had been dealing with for the last 3 years and that she was glad he had finally had something happen to him that couldn't be explained.

She has told me on several occasions that she thinks her house it haunted. When in the kitchen out of the corner of her eye she sees what looks like a man sitting on the end of her sofa. When she looks straight on, no one is there. She has never seen things while looking straight on except for the head thing.

Is there something in their house? Could it be his grandmother? My sister is getting to the point where she isn't feeling comfortable in her own house, she wants to move. I would love to hear some suggestions from you guys/girls as to things that we can do to help her feel more at ease.

Thanks for reading...

Other hauntings by bette31

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bette31, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-27)
I would check the house for unusual amounts of electromagnetic radition, as well. If you get an EMF reading above 10, then it's likely your brain and (especially!) peripheral vision are being affected by this. Because peripheral vision in humans is highly sensitive from eons of watching for predators, this aspect of our vision often records "apparitions" that aren't really there.

In a recent scientific study, people were subjected to high levels of EM radiation in a controlled environment. Over half of those tested reported seeing things out in their peripheral vision. So, was the laboratory "haunted," or was each one's occipital lobe going haywire due to too much electromagnetic interference? Obviously the latter in this sense.

But if your house is not mis-wired or anything, then you should consider other, more supernatural, causes. But always check out the rational explanations first, a la Occam's Razor.
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-26)
She has if fact moved the couch. She changes the living room at least once every 3-5 months. She gets tired of the way things look and switches stuff around. I asked her yesterday about the land that the house sits on. All she knows is that it has been inherited throughout the years and that it was the first house built in that neighborhood. How would I go about checking the history of the land?
shada (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-26)
Hello Bette. The male ghost she keeps seeing may just be a residual haunting. Nothing active and not at all bad (my own experience is that residual hauntings are not actual spirits a "scene" that happens over and over). Has she moved the couch? If not have her move it. If it moves with the couch, it might be something more active.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-26)
Hi Bette31! Thank you for sharring your sisters experience with us. I would have to agree with Rhodes. It doesn't seem like this would be your husbands grandmother. I think checking the history of the land would be the best idea. I think that this seems like a child ghost. I'm not sure if there is one but maybe. I again thank you for this story. Keep us posted. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-25)
Thanks for the feedback. Her family has lived in this house for about 7 years now. She has only seen the girls once, it is the man that she catches out of the corner of her eye that she sees a lot. She told me yesterday that it has now become almost a daily thing. He is always sitting in the same spot on the sofa.

One more thing that has happened since I wrote this story. She was at the grocery store and her husband was at home with the kids. A ball that belongs to the boys was laying in the middle of the kitchen floor. My brother-in-law saw this ball roll across the kitchen floor, and come back to stop only a few feet from where it originally was. No kids playing, no draft to cause it to move. He immediately called her and made her come home right then.
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-25)
Well, at the moment based on what you are telling us it does not sound like it would be harmfull or would want to cause harm. I would start by asking the kids what they see or if they have seen anything they are usually very sensitive to this type of thing. Second I would put crosses in the rooms where they were mostly seen (that is if you are a christian) and read Psalms 23 the entire chapter that will not only make anything go away, but it will give you peace, also something that worked for me was buy lavender or sage and burn it in the house any bad spirits or negative energy will stay away and last but not least you can try spraying salt water in the corners of the house.
If after you do this you still have problems then you might want to get a recorder and place it in the room where you see most of the sightings, but say a prayer before you do it then say outloud in a strong voice "is there is something that you are trying to tell me" if so say it in this box if you need help tell me and then ask it questions like Why are you here? Or what do you want? You might find the answer there.
tell your sis not to worry it does not sound like she has bad spirits it might just be the energy left behind by the others that lived there. They might have liked it so much that they don't want to leave.

There are other ways of getting rid of things like this if your sis wants them gone. Shane has a cleansing posting on the site that really works kimsouth can also help you and whitebuffalo although I have not seen her recently also Bellisima. All you have to do is ask for help.
Good luck and keep us posted.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-25)
These were quite a few intimidating incidents bette31! It seems like there's something in the house but I very much doubt it's your grandmother! I'm not suggesting there's something evil or threatening-nobody was hurt but still...

I'm not sure if it's one or more spirits but I think that it's high time your sister and her husband decided to actually learn a bit more about the history behind the house, land and area.

Whoever that is, it's probably a lost soul who needs guidance to get to the light.
Adventure_Ms_Aqua (10 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-25)
Well, I know that it's not your grandmother! If both of you saw child presences in the house, they are there. The ghosts are probably excited about the newcomers (your family), and just start romping around like an alive kid would. I'm pretty sure they aren't harmful, and they might not know they're dead. If they do, then they are hanging around there for some certain reason. Another alternative is that they could be spirits. Don't stress, and tell your sister to stay calm. If the children annoy her, they're just being kids. 😉
fizzypulp (2 stories) (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-25)
Hi
It definately seems like there could be a presence in the house but from the description I would say it wasn't a grandparent (unless it was them as a child)
It doesn't seem to be harmful in any way - maybe it just wants company or to play.
If your sister is wanting it to go then she needs to ask it in a loud firm voice.
i can't gauruntee it will work but if it is not a bad spirit then it will not want to upset your sister anymore.
Please keep us updated

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: